Looks Like Another Bad Day

Hi All,

Well, after a day of absolute turmoil yesterday, thanks to this rogue update that was pushed at us by Malwarebytes, I retired to my bed believing I had a resolved and working version of MB when I closed down last night -- Not So!!

This morning, on starting my PC, I get an "Unable to Connect the Service" message.

Having reached the end of my tether as regards this Programme, I decided to Uninstall it and go find an alternative.

However, running MB's own Uninstall programme results in a message of ---- "unins000.dat could not be opened. Cannot unistall"

The file does exist, so why can I not remove this previously good but now somewhat flaky programme?

Answers urgently requested please as I am sure there are better things to do in life than spend two days messing about with a computer programme.

Ian

Just an update on my earlier post.

Thanks to a completely unrelated circumstance it was necessary for me to reboot my machine.

Yes, you've guessed it --- MB loaded correctly, and without any human intervention too.

It (MB) has been put on notice that, should it fail to load and run properly tomorrow morning ----- the big "Programme Eraser" will be implemented and MB will be no more, even if it means reformatting the drive to achieve it !!!!!

Ian

PS -- Screen shot of version numbers etc enclosed.

capture_001_28012018_121512.jpg

@IanGreen sorry to hear you are having issues with our product. It looks like you are using an older version of Malwarebytes, which may be causing your issue. You can do an in-place upgrade by running our latest installer: https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/mb3

If you continue to encounter issues after that, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

Hi Lock,

Brilliantly spotted -- many thanks !!!!

Ian

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hi AlexSmith,

I have followed your instructions by installing the latest version.

The latest set of version/update numbers are displayed on the attached screen-shot.

I look forward to seeing how MB performs throughout the remainder of the day and, more particularly, on start-up tomorrow.

Ian

capture_003_28012018_130700.jpg

Hi JGarnett,

I just ran the update and it appeared to perform OK -- albeit it returned a "no updates available" message.

I thought Microsoft (or Malwarebytes) advised against the running of Defender when other spyware/malware detection was being used?

I certainly haven't used Defender for well over a year now.

I have also disabled ALL Microsoft updates (system and otherwise) and have a much healthier, efficient, and trouble-free system as a result.

Last Microsoft update I did was for Service Pack 1 and, apart from Microsoft Word and Excel, have removed everything "Microsoft" from my machines.

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit across all my machines and will never entertain Win 8, 10, or any other versions they come up with.

Sorry I can't help any more.

Ian

4 hours ago, IanGreen said:

I thought Microsoft (or Malwarebytes) advised against the running of Defender when other spyware/malware detection was being used?

Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside AV programs as it is not an AV program.

I have also disabled ALL Microsoft updates (system and otherwise) and have a much healthier, efficient, and trouble-free system as a result.

for security reasons that is bad advice to offer people. What you do with your own computer is up to you.

Last Microsoft update I did was for Service Pack 1 and, apart from Microsoft Word and Excel, have removed everything "Microsoft" from my machines.

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit across all my machines and will never entertain Win 8, 10, or any other versions they come up with.

Also, that is up to you as it is your own computer but it it is not good to recommend these steps to others. At at least not on public forum dedicated to security.;)

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Malwarebytes is designed to run alongside AV programs as it is not an AV program.

There is no antivirus company which will advice you to run MBAM along their product.

At best, MBAM is being "tolerated" at your own risk and you have to create so called "exceptions" in both programs.

Porthos,

My comment on MB running alongside Defender was merely an observation based on what I THOUGHT I had heard, or been told, at some time. -- The use of the "?" tends to imply a differentiation between fact and speculation, perhaps encouraging discussion on the subject too.

Disabling of MS Updates was a statement -- NOT ADVICE. -- It was included as an explanation as to why I could not respond to JGarnett's system updates having been wiped out

The further information on updating was simply an adjunct to that already stated and was NOT a recommendation.

10 minutes ago, screamer said:

You're lucky, my main PC doesn't find its bootloader now

Was working fine before this problem

@screamer that sounds like you have a different issue. I have split your other reply in another thread in to it's own topic so we can dive in to this directly: https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/220375-cant-find-bootloader/

16 minutes ago, screamer said:

You're lucky, my main PC doesn't find its bootloader now

Was working fine before this problem

Hi screamer,

Well, that is way outside of my knowledge zone, so all I can do is to wish you all the very best --- although I've just noticed an intervention from AlexSmith into your problem

He is the Guy who sorted mine, so you are in good hands.

Good luck,

Ian