Web Protection / Block Websites, Might be useful

Wicked

Hello everyone, today I was searching the web and I realized that some websites have popups that open one certain domain, which by itself redirects the client to an advertisement page in a specific language.

None of the websites/domains were detected as dangerous but they are quite annoying and I believe most are unwanted and potentially dangerous, and I was thinking if there was the way to block them on our own choice.

I figured out that we can't do this, so I was going to suggest MBAM to add the opposite of "Exclusions". (I don't feel like paying for some sort of parental control third-party software or extension just for one browser, I wanted something really in MBAM that allowed me to block a possible threat no matter how I access it)

Either in the exclusions tab or quarantine tab, there could be a button like "Add Threat", select "File/URL"  checkbox (optionally a checkbox for something such as "Send for False Negative analysis" but this one would probably give you a lot of work specially if people sent files randomly, captcha would help, I guess?).

So we could block URLs at least, hopefully files too and optimally having a way to submit them to you when we find them suspicious. 

Thanks for your time! ^_^

The an example of an advertising related website that annoys me from time to time: https://www.virustotal.com/en/ip-address/35.188.59.75/information/

Final note: I'm free of adware and malware, I do regular full scans with MBAM & Other antiviruses, AdwCleaner, etc

2 hours ago, Wicked said:

So we could block URLs at least, hopefully files too and optimally having a way to submit them to you when we find them suspicious. 

Thanks for your time!

You can submit files here. https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/51-newest-malware-threats/

Websites here.  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/forum/155-newest-ip-or-url-threats/

sounds like a famous web/mail site...ya browse there yellow journalism "news" and it will randomly pop up a fake adobe site --which automatically starts a virus download.

MS defender seems to catch it--wondering if its something MWB should be catching or not...

Edited by Cleatus

On 1/23/2018 at 6:30 PM, Porthos said:

Yes, I am aware - I've done it several times, thanks though! ^_^

Edit: The point of this post though wasn't 100% about reporting false negatives, that's just a part of my suggestion - What I really wanted was a way to block an URL at my own wish, detected or not by MBAM.

Edited by Wicked
More complete answer

On 1/26/2018 at 1:57 AM, Wicked said:

Yes, I am aware - I've done it several times, thanks though! ^_^

Edit: The point of this post though wasn't 100% about reporting false negatives, that's just a part of my suggestion - What I really wanted was a way to block an URL at my own wish, detected or not by MBAM.

Ah, custom block lists, yes, this has been requested in the past and last I heard they did plan to implement such a feature eventually, though when that might be I do not know.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

While what you say is true, Malwarebytes actually does account for this already.  It is fully capable of blocking individual domains, IP addresses as well as entire blocks and ranges of IPs and our Research team is very unforgiving to known cybercrime friendly hosts and ranges.

That said, if you are aware of any sites/IPs/ranges not currently blocked by Malwarebytes that you believe should be due to malicious content, then please feel free to review the information in this topic and then create a new topic in that area of the forums containing the requested information by clicking here and our Research team will review your submission(s) and add blocks for them if appropriate.

• 1 year later...