• Staff

High Sierra compatibility will be coming in late September.

As for other detection functionality, we will be working on other improvements and new features, but don't try to make comparisons between Malwarebytes for Windows and Malwarebytes for Mac. Each of our apps is tailored to the platform and the threats on each platform, and often features that make sense or are a high priority on one platform do not make sense or are lower priority on another platform. I do not ever expect to see total feature parity between Malwarebytes for Windows, for Mac and for Android, since each platform - and the threat landscape on each platform - is so different.

• Staff

Well, to be perfectly honest, you should never assume that the sender hasn't been compromised or careless with security, and anyone operating under the assumption that you (as a sender) are only sending clean files is ripe for infection. Maybe someone sends something spoofing your e-mail address, or maybe you send something bad accidentally.

Most Mac anti-virus is either bad at detecting Windows malware, or it's really good at detecting Windows malware but not so great at detecting Mac malware. And most Windows anti-virus software doesn't detect Mac malware at all. So it's always wise for each and every endpoint to have protection that is suitable for that platform, and not to rely on the safety of anything sent from any other system.

Specifically I was referring to the transfer of data between my mac and my pc windows.

Other topic:

It would be interesting to implement protection from harmful web sites (not just phishing but all kinds of web threats) that should, like in windows, block the opening of the site with a web page with your logo, protection against threats Still unknown (as though I'm not mistaken already there in windows) and cover all kinds of existing threats in macOS (ramsomware, malware, exploits, etc.) and also the ability to do custom disk scans (not just the system disk But also an external pendrive or hdd (excluding time machine disks) with the ability to scan all the disk files (both in external and internal drives).
Is it already possible to implement it in version 3.1 for high sierra?
thank you
regards

First of all, we've been told that Malwarebytes for Mac already protects agains all kinds of malware threats in macOS (ransomware and exploits are forms of malware).

There are a couple of reasons that I can think of for not addressing web threats directly.

There aren't a lot of threats for Mac users who simply visit a web site, like there are for Windows users today. The last one we know of was Flashback back in the Spring of 2012.

Certainly a user could end up on a phishing site and give away privacy information or download malware, but Safari already subscribes to Google SafeBrowsing which protects agains known malicious sites as long as the user doesn't disable it. Obviously Google Chrome does the same.

I actually applaud Malwarebytes for not cluttering up their product with functions that only slow down my computer experience and provide minimal if any protection.

If you want to waste your money on a full featured anti-everything software suite that will clog up your system, then there are plenty of those already available to you.

Anti-everything protection is not needed, but a full-fledged protection can be desirable even at the web level without worsening the performance of the mac.
Apart from the fact that the Windows version does not slow down so much the pc, even less, in my opinion, would happen with the mac that is a much better performing machine

• Staff

We do want to provide some web protection, as in the Windows product, as an option for those who want it. The goal - unlike in Windows where users are targeted by exploits on websites - would be simply to keep Mac users from visiting known-bad sites that push bad installers or tech support scam pop-ups. However, we can only do so much at one time.

Also, on Macs, full disk scans and scans of external volumes are more "feels good" features. With the kind of real-time protection we've got in place now, those don't really solve significant real-world problems at this time. That's not to say we won't consider it in the future, of course... it's just that we'd rather target features that will have a greater positive security impact.

Protect from harmful websites and scanners harmful elements (so it's called in MS-Windows) with disk selection and for the moment it would be almost perfect for MacOS version. (Obviously protecting against malware, ransomware, viruses, pup, etc.)

Edited by MAXBAR1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15.9.2017 at 4:39 PM, MAXBAR1 said:

when will the version compatible with highsierra be released?

Match too late, today Gold Master is out, Malewarebytes ? far away.

Such a Security Product is not usable we buy 20 Licenses (ok not so much), normally we need more than 1000 but fort testing ok)
hole test end after our developers must use developer Versions of High Sierra we also develop our mac apps and believe me our apps
all running since a few weeks in all High Sierra beta since we make them compatible.

Most maybe any AV Software is HS ready or have Beta for testing, that are security products they have to start developing own products
at apple give the first developer beta out. Such developer beta is not for testing for Users that Betas are give away that all developers that 
want bring their products to next OS can do that.

And not await the Final and start than developing a Mac Version ! For all Users that have purchased that is unacceptable !

best

Andre 

• Staff
7 hours ago, xeen3d said:

Such a Security Product is not usable we buy 20 Licenses (ok not so much), normally we need more than 1000 but fort testing ok)

If you're looking for 1,000 licenses, you're looking at the wrong product. Malwarebytes for Mac is a consumer product. For more information about our products for business, see:

http://malwarebytes.com/business

• Staff

We will be adding web protection in the future, but I can't give a specific timeframe. It will probably be next year sometime, but we can't promise that.

As for specific aspects of the scanning of the Windows engine, not all of those make sense on the Mac, so don't expect to ever see complete feature parity there. After all, to give just one example, there is no registry on the Mac, so scanning the registry isn't even a possibility on the Mac. Our scanning solutions are tailored to the platform and the nature of the threats on that platform.

No!

First I want all the functionality that was in v1.2.6 back. System snapshots, auto-updates, user notifications and easy access to a log off the top of my head.

I don't want or need Malwarebytes for Mac to protect me against anything other than malware. In depth scanning for what? Why selection of places to scan where malware has never been found?

Web protection is already provided in most browsers by Google SafeBrowsing. There hasn't been a serious threat in that area since Flashback in the Spring of 2012. Current solutions (e.g. BitDefender TrafficLight, McAfee Site Advisor, WOT) have prevented me from visiting more legitimate sites than malicious ones. The most recent being the Equifax Security site.

If you want some A-V software that wastes time looking for nonexistent malware there are plenty of other choices available to bog down your Mac.

I disagree with it
Scanning to protect against any kind of malicious software is paramount.
The selection of the area to be scanned also allows you to scan a disc drive or a pendrive.
In-depth scanning as a possible choice, not mandatory, allows anyone who wants to protect the entire system; if alvarnell does not want to be totally protected is free to do so.
Google SafeBrowsing is not omnipotent, a better security without breaking down its performance (windows does not have any performance crashes, I do not see why it should happen in macOS) is only positive.
Equifax second blog.malwarebytes.com was also violated (https://blog.malwarebytes.com/101/2017/09/equifax-aftermath-how-to-protect-against-identity-theft/)
Many times with scans searching for malicious software unknown, new issues have been discovered and this has allowed, without locking the machine, to save the data of multiple users.
Who knew, for example, Not-Petya or Wannacry before the global epidemic exploded?
Thank you
regards

Scanning to protect against any kind of malicious software is paramount.

And Malwarebytes for Mac claims to do that.

The selection of the area to be scanned also allows you to scan a disc drive or a pendrive.

Agree that scanning a disk or thumb drive should take place, but probably as an option in Real-Time Protection rather than a manual scan.

a better security without breaking down its performance (windows does not have any performance crashes, I do not see why it should happen in macOS) is only positive.

Crashing due to A-V scanning is not the issue. It's RAM and CPU use that causes Mac users to scream "unacceptable slowness!" dozens of times a day on the Apple Support Community Forum.

Equifax second blog.malwarebytes.com was also violated

Of course, but I don't understand the point you are making with regard to this discussion.

I've been using Macs for over twenty years now and the first piece of A-V software I used was a freeware application called AntiVirus. It did a great job back then, fast and accurate. Today I have BItDefender, ClamXAV, Dr. Web Light, Little Snitch, MacScan 2 Malwarebytes (both versions), Sophos, Virus Barrier Express and most all of the tools from Objective-See installed on my computer. Background processes have been disabled on most of them since they often conflict with each other. They are only there for testing purposes, mostly when I run across some newly discovered malware to see which ones' are capable of detecting. In all those twenty years, none of these scanners have ever found a single infection by malware that I wasn't already aware of (I have samples of most current malware tucked away in a safe place on my computer).

Occasionally, when I know I won't be needing my computer for awhile, I'll allow one of these scanners to inspect my boot drive and walk away for a few hours as I know it won't be usable during that time. But Malwarebytes for Mac (and all it's predecessors) are different in that I can run it any time I want to, continue to use my computer and in less than three minutes be confident that I'm free of all recent, currently known malware. It can do this because it only looks for known malware in places where it's known to exist. I believe it to currently be the most efficient such software available today which is why it's so highly recommended. I would hate to see that reputation change by loading it up with a lot of features that failed to provide measurable value added.

Mac's unacceptable slowness I've never experienced with any antivirus I've tried (even with the bitdefender deep system scan)
In windows I regularly use the pc while scanning harmful elements and even when doing the complete file system without any slowdown
Aside from currently scanning the mac with malwarebytes lasts 10 seconds and not 3 minutes, I do not ask for a compulsory scan of the entire file system and a bit more thorough scan in general (such as scanning Windows bad elements that does not make every single file but it is a bit more in-depth than the current mac) but the chance to do it (each one then is free to choose the super fast scan or the slowest but most in-depth scan)
summing
I propose to leave the product with the functions it has (apart from still missing the Italian and other languages)
in addition
add a more thorough scan
Add the ability to scan external disks and pendrive
Additional Websites protection (add to Google SafeBrowsing) with the ability to block certain types of content (phishing, weapons, drugs, gambling, sex, pedophilia (this block should not be mandatory but by choice)) and ad -blocking during navigation

also because where it can place unknown malware it does not know

and in this way you can only have malwarebytes as a complete solution and do not have to install 15,000 different antivirus products

Edited by MAXBAR1

Ultimately, alvarnell wants a slimmer product
I prefer it slender but without losing it to safety

I leave the malwarebytes staff to make the decisions by trying to make the users mac and internet browsing more secure by compromising the performance of the mac as little as possible

• 4 months later...
On 8/28/2017 at 10:09 AM, treed said:

Also, on Macs, full disk scans and scans of external volumes are more "feels good" features. 

What's "feel good" about removing viruses etc. from external drives?  Why not be able to scan it, and clean it, rather than have to copy files to you computer and then run a scan? Seems senseless to me: why not get rid of infected files before they land on your computer??