v. 3.1.0.1716 - unable to connect to service

I tried to install v. 3.1.0.1716 over the top of 3.0.6.1469-10103.  The install seemed to go fine, but after re-booting I got the "unable to connect to service" error and MB would not start.  I never had any problems with version 3.0.6.1469.

I just wanted to let you know that I used mbclean to uninstall MB from the system and then re-installed v. 3.1.0.1716 and this time it worked fine.  All protections started up without any problem and a threat scan ran in a normal amount of time for my machine.

I just thought folks might want to know another experience and how it went.  Hopefully this will help someone else if they run into the same problem.

Thanks,
Bill

Hello @BillH99999

Thank you for the information. 

You mentioned that you used the mb-clean tool to uninstall MB and then installed the new beta.

Did you re-install the build using the MB-Clean tool itself or did you manually reinstall the Beta build yourself.

I ask this because the MB-Clean tool will reinstall our public version of the tool 3.0.6.1469 and not the Beta build.

Thank you,

Hello @BillH99999

I did try the same scenario you mentioned but I did not see the "Unable to connect to service" message after reboot.

However its good to know and I will keep an ye out for the same from other user's.

In the meantime could you please run the MB-Check tool and please post the results of the tool to this thread.

Tool can be found at : https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3_check

Thank you,

Your mb-check log doesn't show anything out of the ordinary that I could see. Can you follow the details below to grab your setup log that may contain more information?

1. Press Windows + R
  2. In the dialog that pops up, type %temp% and press Ok
  3. In the window that comes up, there should a file named Setup Log <DATE> #XXX.txt (where <DATE> is the date/time you installed MB3 and #XXX is a number)
    • There may be multiples if you reinstalled
  4. Please upload all of the Setup Log <DATE> #XXX.txt files

@dcollins

Thanks for the reply.  There are two files.  I think the first one must be the one that failed and the second one is the one after I ran MB-Clean and re-installed.

Let me say that since the re-install everything has been running fine without any problems.

Thanks
Bill

Setup Log 2017-05-01 #001.txt

Setup Log 2017-05-01 #002.txt

Edited by BillH99999

Yep :) We added some logic to help resolve some other issues in regards to upgrading that encouraged a reboot, but it looks like after the reboot those files didn't get replaced. Running mb-clean and reinstalling will have removed any files we would normally check, so we'll keep researching this internally.

@dcollins

I have a question.  Wouldn't it make more sense for the reports to be listed so that the most current is at the top instead of the bottom?  I know I can resort the list, but I always want to look at the latest one not the earliest one and I'm guessing others feel the same.

Thanks
Bill

Edited by BillH99999

@dcollins

Just installed version  v. 3.1.1.1722 beta and got the same results, unable to connect to service.  Not sure the original problem I posted for version 3.1.0.1716 was supposed to be fixed in this release or not.  This time I didn't run MB-Clean, I just uninstalled the failed install of 3.1.1.1722, re-booted, and re-installed and it is now working fine.

Bill

Edited by BillH99999

The order of the logs shouldn't matter, they are timestamped. And thanks for the update on the newer beta. If this happens again, can you please grab the following information before running mb-clean

• mbamservice logs from C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMservice\logs
  • mb-checkResult logs
Edited by dcollins

It has happened to me twice now with the last two betas so I might be able to reproduce it again.  I thought from your earlier reply that maybe the setup logs had helped, but I guess not.  If there is anything else I can provide that might be of help, let me know.

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I just installed component package 1.0.139 over the top of MB 3.1.2 component package 1.0.103 and the same thing happened... Unable to Connect to Service.

I had to run mbclean and reinstall 1.0.139 to get it to work.  This is the 3rd or 4th update in a row that has had the same problem.

This is really a pain, because every time I have to do this I have to go back in and redefine my scheduled scans and re-set my other settings.  Is there any way that mbclean could be changed to remove everything except for the settings so we don't have to redefine them every time?

Thanks.
Bill