Uninstall Malwarebytes 3.0x

So I downloaded and tried Malwarebytes 3.03 and now it's impossible to get rid of it.  It acts like malware one might say.

After reading through your web site I downloaded "mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe" and ran it on my Win7 system.  When it said to reboot I did so.  Now every time I reboot, the computer gives me an error message "Unable to start.  Unable to connect to the service".  So I look in TaskManager/Processes and still see mbamtray.exe there.  So I ran your mbam-clean again.  Same result.

How do I permanently drive a stake through the heart of your program?

Edited by wjm41
punctuation

And I just did a disk search for "mbam*.*" and see my disk is littered with a bunch of your applications and dll files. 9 of them.  Somehow you don't seem to do a "clean" uninstall very cleanly.

Actually I see 136 files in 108MB of my disk following your clean uninstall.  

And another 29 files in another subdirectory.  Who knows what's scattered around in more obscure places.

Edited by wjm41
Add'l info

On 3/14/2017 at 12:05 PM, wjm41 said:

After reading through your web site I downloaded "mbam-clean-2.3.0.1001.exe"

That is an old version try the one below.

What are the steps to use mb-clean.exe?

1. Download the latest version:
  2. Close all open applications 
  3. If applicable, backup your license key and deactivate the product
  4. Double-click mb-clean.exe to run it
  5. A prompt to confirm the cleanup will appear, select “Yes” or “No”
    • Yes - will proceed with the cleanup process
    • No - will exit the utility
  6. Utility will launch a Command Prompt window which will disappear once the the cleanup process completes. 
  7. Once completed, a log file ("mb-cleanresult.txt") will be on your desktop and you'll be prompted to reboot
    • We recommend an immediate reboot
    • Suppressing the reboot may result in an incomplete cleanup
  8. Upon reboot, your machine will be free of the supported products mentioned above and ready for re-installation of Malwarebytes

Post updated [02/12/2021]

The following MBST tool should be used to perform a clean removal and reinstall

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Edited by AdvancedSetup
updated information

@wjm41 glad you eventually got things cleaned up. It sounds like the version of mbam-clean you ran was for 2.x, which still has instructions available because our 2.x product is still used by many people. I'm guessing you found the link to mbam-clean on this support page?

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/articles/1835311-how-do-i-uninstall-malwarebytes-anti-malware-?b_id=6438

The version @Porthos listed is the one for MB3, which you installed. Let us know if you have any other questions

• 7 months later...
On 3/14/2017 at 11:24 PM, dcollins said:

@wjm41 glad you eventually got things cleaned up. It sounds like the version of mbam-clean you ran was for 2.x, which still has instructions available because our 2.x product is still used by many people. I'm guessing you found the link to mbam-clean on this support page?

https://support.malwarebytes.com/customer/portal/articles/1835311-how-do-i-uninstall-malwarebytes-anti-malware-?b_id=6438

The version @Porthos listed is the one for MB3, which you installed. Let us know if you have any other questions

Hi,

There are 2 methods to uninstall MB3 as well. Which one should we choose?

Uninstalling from Windows (Add/Remove Programs) or mbam_clean itself?

Does mbam_clean also uninstall all the virtual low-level drivers from device manager, service entry in services.msc along with all the remnants in registry?

Because the link below states about Windows Control Panel remover like this:
https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1470

You don't need any special tools and it can be removed using the Windows Control Panel. This is the best way to remove Malwarebytes 3 when you do not want to use it any more. We do offer a Clean Uninstall tool, but the uninstall tool was designed to reinstall the software again.

The statement above contradicts with mbam_clean. Mbam_clean is meant to remove ALL the occurences of MBAM unlike Windows Control Panel remover. But the statement shows that mbam_clean is designed to make users install MBAM again. What was meant here? Shouldn't it leave any remnants on the system? Am i wrong?

I'd like to know. Best regards.

Edited by kimiraikkonen

6 hours ago, kimiraikkonen said:

The statement above contradicts with mbam_clean. Mbam_clean is meant to remove ALL the occurences of MBAM unlike Windows Control Panel remover. But the statement shows that mbam_clean is designed to make users install MBAM again. What was meant here? Shouldn't it leave any remnants on the system? Am i wrong?

If you run the mbam-clean tool, after a reboot it will ask you if you would like to download and install the latest version of Malwarebytes.  If you choose YES it will then download and re-install Malwarebytes.  If you choose NO then your done, Malwarebytes was uninstalled and it will no longer reside on your computer unless you go and download and install it once again.