V3.04 Bugs

Bugs and Problems with Malwarebytes V3.04 Release:

1.  Could not install over V2 of Malwarebytes. Keep getting Runtime Error (at 14:160) External exception E06D7363. Tried the suggestions in some of the messages here, but only way I could get V3.04 to install was to uninstall V2 and run the "clean" program (the on from Malwarebytes for uninstalling V2).

2.  I was not getting the "Real-Time Protection Layers Turned Off" pop up when Windows was starting. Then I installed the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB3201845)" that Microsoft released today and now I get the "Real-Time Protection Layers Turned Off" every time Windows starts. Tried some of suggestions that were posted such as the "Delay Real-Time Protection When Malwarebytes Starts" by 15 seconds, did not fix.

3.  If you go to Settings, Protection then Updates, if you set "Check for Updates Every" to Days no matter what you set the number of days to it always changes back to 14. So if I set "Check for Updates" every 1 day, then click over to Application (still in Settings) "Check For Updates" will change 14 Days.

I have Windows 10 Pro 64bit and am also running ESET NODS32 Anti-Virus V10.0.369.0. Tried turning off ESET when messing with some to these problems but didn't help.

It  would seem that the release version of Malwarebytes 3.04 is nothing more than the last Beta version. Even the version numbers are the same. Even Malwarebytes said they knew they had not fixed all the problems and bugs in the release version and looking at the list of known problems, I mean really. Maybe they just wanted to release it in time for the Christmas sales. I only hope that Malwarebytes is not going the way that a lot of companies go, once they go from a small business to a large business they start to only think of profits, money and sales. Not so much about the customer anymore.

Anyway, looking forward to the release version of Malwarebytes V3.

Thank you for your time.....

It seems I also get the "Real-Time Protection Layers Turned Off" pop-up sometimes for no reason. I left the computer on all night and when I got up this morning the "Real-Time Protection Layers Turned Off" pop-up was showing (even though all protection was on). The computer was doing nothing but running the screen saver (one the ones that comes with Windows 10). No scans, no updates, no anything...

Isn't it fun being a BETA tester..........

Hi Zenmota--

Thanks for reporting these issues.

1.  We have identified a fix for this install error and hope to get that released shortly.  In the meantime, you followed our suggested fix:  clean uninstall of earlier version and then reinstall of 3.0 should work.

2.  The "Protection disabled" notices display inappropriately is a known issue.  We're working on a fix for this one as well.

3.  I am not able to reproduce this problem.  When I change to 14 days and switch between tabs in Settings, it retain the correct new Update setting.  I also tried going to the dashboard and completely quitting Malwarebytes and re-launching, and the 14 days remains as expected.  So there may be something different with your setup.  Would you mind providing your Malwarebytes service log from C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs so we can review?  Otherwise, the only thing I can think of right now is perhaps a corrupt configuration file in your installation, so an uninstall / reinstall may help.

No, no, no.... I don't want the Update setting to be 14 days.  Yes, if I set the update setting to 14 days, it will stay at 14 days. Set the Update setting to 1 day then switch between tabs in Settings or quit Malwarebytes and re-open it. You will see that Update setting has change to 14 days when it use to be 1 day. I want my Update setting to be 1 Day, but when I set it to 1 Day it keeps switching to 14 day.

Thanks for the reply...

MBAMSERVICE.LOG

3 hours ago, Zenmota said:

Yes, if I set the update setting to 14 days, it will stay at 14 days. Set the Update setting to 1 day then switch between tabs in Settings or quit Malwarebytes and re-open it.

Thanks for the logs and additional information.

I had also tried this -- I can set that setting to any non-default option and it retains the new value through switching tabs, shutting down, etc.  I tested specifically by changing to 1 day and no issues.  So there's something different about your system here.  We'll review the logs and see if we can figure that out.  Please let me know if it happens with any other settings for you.

Well, I did an uninstall of Malwarebytes 3, rebooted and reinstall Malwarebytes 3. But the update setting still changes to 14 Days if I set it to something different. I can change the setting to 1 Day and then go back to Dashboard, Scan, Quarantine or Reports then back to settings (which will still be on the Protection Tab) and it will still be set to 1 Day. However, if I  switch to one of the other Tabs in Settings or Close Malwarebytes (clicking the X in the upper right corner of Window) and then go back to the Protection Tab in Settings it will be changed to 14 Days, not the 1 Day I had set.

This only happens with the Day setting. I can set the Update to any Hour or Minutes and it will stay to whatever I set it. So I set it to Update ever 12 Hours and that works fine.

8 minutes ago, biomembrain said:

I think I had this problem before. If you have the premium version, you have to open the User Interface and press activate protection layers. I think that solved my problem.

Not Sure what you are saying. This is version 3 and I do have the premium version. All protection layers are turned on. Not sure where open User Interface and press activate protection layers is. I don't see it. I can turn on each protection separately (Web Protection, Exploit Protection, etc...) in the Settings. 

One more quick question. I installed Malwarebytes 3 then later uninstalled it and reinstalled it to see if it would fix a problem. On the first install I ran the Install Application Updates and it updated the Component Package Version from 1.0.39 to 1.0.40 (looking at the About screen). However, after I reinstalled Malwarebytes 3 and run the Install Application Updates it says there is no updates and the Component Package Version stays at 1.0.39 instead of updating to 1.0.40 like the first install did.

Did they maybe pull an update or what?

Thanks....

Just found out about this. I have MBAM lifetime license and tried to update via the download link in the thread about it. I go the same "Runtime Error (at 14:160): External exception E06D7363" which apparently happens when you have an older or newest version of MBAM already installed. So I'll have to uninstall and try again. Maybe I'll wait a week or 2 though because it seems like it's got a ton of problems. Like the other guy in this thread said, sounds like it's still a beta version....

Edited by Kins44

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:00 PM, bdubrow said:

Thanks for the logs and additional information.

I had also tried this -- I can set that setting to any non-default option and it retains the new value through switching tabs, shutting down, etc.  I tested specifically by changing to 1 day and no issues.  So there's something different about your system here.  We'll review the logs and see if we can figure that out.  Please let me know if it happens with any other settings for you.

I tried changing the Update to something other than 14 Days on my Laptop and it keeps changing back to 14 Days no matter what I set it to (set to 2 Days, changes back to 14 Days after switching tabs or closing Malwarebytes). This is same thing it does on my desktop computer, too. Laptop is Windows 10 64 Bit.

53 minutes ago, Ried said:

@Zenmota  I'm sorry if you've already mentioned this and I missed it but - did you install 3.0.4 over a previous MBAM 2.x ?

I was going to install over MBAM2, but keep getting an error when I tried to install it (error was Runtime Error (at 14:160) External exception E06D7363). So I uninstalled version 2 and ran the clean program from Malwarebytes to completely remove version 2, then rebooted and installed version 3.

The Check For Updates Setting on days resetting to 14 (even though I set it to 1 Day) happens on both my laptop and desktop. The Desktop is an Intel CPU with NVidia Video and Windows 10 Pro 64Bit. The Laptop is AMD CPU and AMD Video and Windows 10 Home 64Bit.

I thought it might have something to do with ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus Version 10.0.369.0 which I have installed on both the laptop and desktop. So I uninstall both ESET Nod32 and Malwarebytes on the laptop. Ran a clean program from ESET to completely remove NOD32 Anti-Virus. Rebooted and only installed Malwarebytes 3 (did not install ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus). But I still get the Check for Updates Setting for Days resetting to 14 when I set it to something different.

Thanks....

• Staff

Thanks for the detail.  I'm wondering if there still may be pieces of the MBAM 2.x even though you ran Mbam-clean.  Would you mind running our mbam-check.exe and send me the CheckResults.txt?  I realize mbam-check is not ready for MB 3.0 - that doesn't matter - what matters is it will show me folder paths. You can download it from here:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check

Hi Zenmota--

I have been testing on some different systems and I was finally able to reproduce the behavior you're seeing (and others have reported).  

I was able to get it to stop reverting to 14 days by doing the following:

• Change to 1 day
  • Close out the main interface by clicking red X in upper right
  • Quit Malwarebytes completely via the right-click on tray icon
  • Then re-launch Malwarebytes from Desktop icon.  

After that the 1 day setting was sticky.

I have no idea why it behaves like this, but we'll dig in further here!  

Please do also provide the logs Lisa asked for, as those might shed some clues.  :)

2 hours ago, Ried said:

Thanks for the detail.  I'm wondering if there still may be pieces of the MBAM 2.x even though you ran Mbam-clean.  Would you mind running our mbam-check.exe and send me the CheckResults.txt?  I realize mbam-check is not ready for MB 3.0 - that doesn't matter - what matters is it will show me folder paths. You can download it from here:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbam_check

Here you go.....

CheckResults.txt

2 hours ago, bdubrow said:

Hi Zenmota--

I have been testing on some different systems and I was finally able to reproduce the behavior you're seeing (and others have reported).  

I was able to get it to stop reverting to 14 days by doing the following:

• Change to 1 day

After that the 1 day setting was sticky.

I have no idea why it behaves like this, but we'll dig in further here!  

Please do also provide the logs Lisa asked for, as those might shed some clues.  :)

I did as you said, but it still reverts back to 14 days. At least you were able to reproduce it.

Thanks...

16 minutes ago, Ried said:

Thanks Zenmota, at least we're able to rule out leftover MBAM 2.x

Try disabling self-protection via Settings > Protection

Reboot the machine then try again to change the Update Interval. Does it stay now?

I disabled self-protection, rebooted and change the update interval to something other than 14 but it still reverts back to 14. I did try using this method also:

Change to 1 day

Still reverts back to 14.

Thanks

• Staff

Thanks for trying, Can you please do the following?

Open Malwarebytes and click Settings > Application

Scroll down to Event Log Data and turn that on.

Try again to change the Update Interval, close UI, then open it and check that Update Interval once again.

Then please send the following:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\config  <--right click this folder, zip it up and attach it.

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService\logs\MBAMSERVICE.log