MBAE service taking too long to start

Rigsby

I installed the latest version (1235) when it came out and all was fine until today. I noticed it wasn't running and when I tried to start it I got the the message "MBAE service is taking to long to start. Please reboot your computer".

Rebooting the computer had no effect and the above message continued to be displayed so I re-installed the previous version and all is well.

There is obviously a conflict somewhere.

[Windows 7 Pro; Panda Antivirus Free; Zonealarm Firewall Free]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same problem started for me this morning, reset does not help.

win XP x64

malwarebytes anti-exploit 1.9.1.1235

copied message below:

---------------------------
Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit
The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit service is taking too long to start.
Please reboot your computer to restart protection.
OK   

Can you all attach your MBAE Logs and other information specified in this link for Malwarebytes staff to look at.
https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/144403-readme-first-posts-here-need-to-include-mbae-logs/
The easiest way to zip the logs is to select all the files in the folder C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, right click > Send to > "Compressed (zipped) folder".  Then attach the zip file to a reply here.

• Staff

Hello everyone,

Can you please take a screenshot of the C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and post it here?

As well, if you have not tried a clean re-install I would recommend trying that next. Go ahead and remove the program from the un-install menu and once you do that, download the cleaning tool from this location:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=199258

Run the tool in there and reboot the computer. Once you do that, download the latest version again from this link:

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mbae

If that does not work after you install it, please let me know. 

OK. This is a bit complicated but I'll try to keep it simple.

Uninstalled v1.04.1.1012. (which worked OK).
Was unable to run the cleaning tool. "Must have administrator privileges".

Installed v1.09.1.1235 from website given. It ran and worked fine until I rebooted the computer then the same thing happened and the '...taking too long...' window was displayed. When I manually ran the program, it ran for about 5 mins then terminated with the same message. The service MbaeSvc was in the list of services but stopped and I couldn't start it (access denied).

I've uploaded a screenshot of the mbae directory in Program Files and 2 zips - new version working before the reboot and after the reboot (not working). I hope this helps.

MBAE directory.png

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit-BEFORE REBOOT.zip

Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit - AFTER REBOOT.zip

This is weird.

I have not re-installed Anti-Exploit or changed anything on my PC other than send in the required logs, and this morning Anti-Exploit started successfully on boot up at 7 am and has been running fine ever since!

Yes, of course I'm pleased, but I'd really like to know why.....

• Staff

Hello Rigsby,

I want to collect some more system information from you. I want to have you use a tool called FRST. To do this:

1: Please download FRST from the link below and save it to your desktop:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

2: Double-click the purple FRST icon to run the program. Click Yes when the disclaimer appears.

3: Click the Scan button

4: When the scan has finished, it will make 2 log files in the same directory the tool is run, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please attach both files in your reply.

I have a similar issue, when I start windows the network icon freezes with the circle as if the network is not ready

I load up firefox and can surf the net instantly.

Meanwhile MalwareBytes Anti-exploit still isn't loaded

I cannot launch any system program, regedit or event viewer during this time.

Event viewer shows that Anti-exploit was hung on starting.

1 minute later, the network icon is back to normal, anti-exploit is loaded, and the system application is now UAC prompting.

It is irrefutably a bug.

Please provide the latest stable version prior to all these caught caught new features

Or provide the latest beta.

Windows 7 64 Bit Ultimate SP1 completely updated with only zone alarm firewall free installed.

Edited by neonred

• Staff

Hello Neonred,

Can you try the instructions I left above to do a clean re-install? It seems  a majority of the issues are just coming from the upgrade and a re-install will fix it. Make sure you use the clean tool and run it as admin as it will make sure all of our directories are removed so you can do a clean re-install.