Rigsby

MBAE service taking too long to start

Hello Everyone,

Just to clarify, have you tried rebooting the computer after the update was applied and see if you had this issue after reboot? If you do, please collect the log mentioned earlier in the thread and please take a screenshot of the Programfiles (or programfiles (x86)) directory of anti-exploit so I can confirm if the update happened correctly. 

19 hours ago, larsonreever said:

Seems they innovated too quickly and focused on making sure it worked on Windows 10 but left Windows 7 in the dust.

It doesn't work on Windows 10 either.

It's failed to start for like a week or so now.

I don't remember a time where it's actually worked properly for more than 2 months.

Looks like this thread has been dead for a while, but I don't actually see any resolution. Has anyone had any luck with any sort of fixes for this? We have several clients that are receiving this error on a daily basis. I'm seeing mixed results with the delayed start on the services. So I figured I resurrect this thread to see if anyone's had any luck. Thanks in advance!

Hey Jwoodskitsap,

Do you mind taking a screenshot of your C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit directory. If you notice a tmp folder in there, can you take a picture of what is in that folder as well? I am curious if the files from the upgrade swapped correctly and if there is any files in there, then it could be the reason why. 

PROBLEM SOLVED

I had the same problem receiving error message:
"Malwarebytes anti-exploit service taking too long to start (etc)" using Windows 7.

What I did was:

1. Uninstall Malware Bytes anti-exploit
2. Reboot computer (just to be sure it's fully gone, though this 2nd step may not be strictly necessary.)
3. After reboot, Ran mbae-setup-1.09.1.1334 as Administrator.
3. When prompted for the directory to be installed in I switched from default C:/Programs Files(x86)/ Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit   and INSTEAD I installed the program into (new) folder:
C:/Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit

After install, rebooted computer as prompted, and now have program working just fine.

Edited by gunjones

On 4/25/2017 at 10:24 AM, Rsullinger said:

Hey Jwoodskitsap,

Do you mind taking a screenshot of your C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit directory. If you notice a tmp folder in there, can you take a picture of what is in that folder as well? I am curious if the files from the upgrade swapped correctly and if there is any files in there, then it could be the reason why. 

Here are the two screenshots you requested. This is only occurring on PC's that have the 1.09.2.1384 client on them. It appears that any PC's that are using the older versions, don't seem to have this problem.

Also @gunjones... I have tried your fix as well and it didn't appear to work for me. All our clients are being deployed via the MalwareBytes management console. So unfortunately, for us to have to go through and uninstall the clients and then manually reinstall them would be an absolute nightmare. As we have about 1000 PC's that are running this. On the bright side. Only about 1/3 of them appear to be getting this error right now.

AntiExploitDirectory.PNG

TempFolder.PNG

hello Jwoodskitsap,

So the files in that tmp directory are the new update files. If the files cannot be swapped out on an upgrade, we will place the files there and create an entry to swap out those files on reboot. So those files look like they were not swapped in this case. If you stopped the service and swapped the files it would work, but wouldn't fix it for all of your other users. Do you mind looking at another computer having this issue an confirm if it is the same two files in question? 

I thought i'd chime in here as I found a simple solution for my environment.

I just grabbed the unmanaged MBAE .msi installer, put it out on a network share, and had all my machines run that. It somehow fixed the issue for me.. I think it just repairs the current broken install? Not sure exactly.

I have been having this problem lately. I'm using Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Dell Inspiron 3521, Intel Core i3 CPU @1.9 GHz, and 6 GB RAM.

Hi All,

Anyone here still having issues with MBAE service? Please let us know. Thanks.

I reverted to an older version after October when the problem started.

Today I got fed-up with the auto-update pop-up, so I installed the latest beta 1.09.1.1410

same issue as before:

"The Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit service is taking too long to start.
Please reboot your computer to restart protection."

I did a clean install, including using the clean_mbae tool

tried the two possible solutions posted with no success

1. installing to a different directory than default

2. adding the AutoStartDelay value to the registry.

Hi All

This solved it for me:

When MBAE was rolled into MB 3.0, I didn't uninstall the stand alone program. When my MBAE subscription expired I started getting the annoying 'too long to start' pop up, but exploitation protection was shown as enabled and running in my MB 3.0 Premium. Finally twigged that it was the still installed stand alone AE that was trying to start (but wouldn't as the sub had expired) which was causing the pop ups. Uninstalled it and haven't had any since.

Edited by TW31

PS My previous post may not be relevant to many on this thread but will be helpful to those, like me, who landed here after googling the problem!