Windows Update won't stop searching

Windows Update wont stop searching for updates so I cannot upgrade it to 10. (This is a different computer to the one my recent thread). As I am going to be selling it I put it back to factory settings in the hope this would resolve things but it has not. I am now running Windows 8 (not 8.1) and IE10 and McCafee but cannot update Windows. McCafee found a Trojan and presumably dealt with it. I have tried various suggestions sourced via googling!

1 hour ago, bluegiraffe said:

.... I am now running Windows 8 (not 8.1) and IE10 and McCafee but cannot update Windows. McCafee found a Trojan and presumably dealt with it. I have tried various suggestions sourced via googling!

:welcome:

First, make doubly sure that this box is totally free of any virus or malware. Run McAfee again and be sure there are no viruses, trojans, worms.

Do a Threat scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and be sure that it reports no malware  ( no non-PUP ).

Making sure it is malware free is the first task.

Next then the Windows Update issue.

First, my guess is that its possible the Microsoft Windows Update controls are glitched.  Or it may well be missing a necessary Microsoft KB update pre-requisite.

Second, the box needs to be on Windows 8.1   ( not 8 ) to be eligible for Windows 10 upgrade.

Caution: you said you had "googled the issue".  Be careful since this case here may not be exactly like what you may see in a search list result.

It's best ( once you insure the box is malware free) to seek help at Microsoft Answers forum.   Or perhaps at Eightforums in the Windows Update section.

What information to post in the Windows Update forum
     http://answers.microsoft.com/thread/1467f44b-ee27-4f7d-98d7-f1c4b35b3395

I have run scans with Mcafee and Malwarebytes and nothing found. I have tried a few other suggestions too via googling the answers. I appreciate what you say that they may not apply to me. Many of the suggestions appear the same anyway. I have now managed to get it to find updates but it does not download or install them. It just says it is downloading  but it is not and the progress bar does not move from zero.

I have checked back thru earlier threads I posted when I had a similar problem but so far I have not been able to resolve this. I cannot update to windows 8.1 (then 10) till I can sort out the problem with updates.

2 hours ago, bluegiraffe said:

Hi Porthos - yes that is the intention - however I need to upgrade to 8.1 first.

@bluegiraffe No you don't. All you need is the Win 10 ISO and install with that.

Windows 10 download

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation

I prefer a clean install.

Windows 10 - Clean Install

Edited by Porthos