Hanging System - Infected?

Hello HJT Team,

Have attached FRST and ADDITION files.

My system (running W7) is increasingly hanging and sticking.  Can't help but feel that there is an infection here somewhere.

Computer will not shut down, and have to resort to manual shut down every time (hold power button for 5 secs).  Often reboots without a problem,

occasionally offers safe mode rather than straight startup.

IE 11 is not performing very nicely either, hangs a lot and often crashes.  Firefox does the same when I use it instead.

Finally, just this week my homepage (google.com) brings up the security certificate error message.  Could be a sign of hijack apparently.  I have reset

the homepage to about: blank for now.

I normally run Kaspersky Internet Security.  Was told once upon a time that it will clash with MBAM Premium - is this still the case?  For the purpose

of finding the infection I have reinstalled MBAM again and will leave it running to see if anything is detected, but so far scans have shown nothing.

Would very much appreciate your help please?  Thank you :)

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

• Root Admin

Well I see someone ran ComboFix on the system and may not have fully removed it. No obvious infection that sticks out so maybe just some PUP clean up and correction of one or two services that seem to be having an issue.

STEP 1

You're having a WMI (Windows Management Interface) error in the logs.
The following may correct that.

Rebuild the list of available counters

Membership in the local Administrators group is required to complete this procedure.

To rebuild the list of counters in the registry:

Click Start, expand All Programs, and expand Accessories.
    Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
    At the command prompt, type lodctr /r and then press ENTER.

That informamtion came from this link. Though it's listed for Windows Server 2008 R2 it typically applies to other OS as well.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd363642%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

STEP 2

Your computer appears to possibly be having a Windows Update issue as well. Please run the fix from this site and see if that can correct it for you. Let me know the results on your next reply please.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336

STEP 04
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus

STEP 05
Lets clean out any adware now: (this will require a reboot so save all your work)

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    Vista / Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • When it's done you'll see: Pending: Please uncheck elements you don't want removed.
  • Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
  • If there's a program you may want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
  • If you're not sure, post the log for review. (all items found are adware/spyware/foistware)
  • If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[S0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
  • To restore an item that has been deleted:
  • Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.

STEP 06
button_eos.gif

Please go here to run the online antivirus scannner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked
  • Click on Advanced Settings and ensure these options are ticked:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file....
  • Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.

STEP 07
Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Edited by AdvancedSetup

Thanks Ron.

Got as far as Step 2, I ran the MS Fixit and it did fix a couple of issues but came up with the error "Service Registration is Missing or Corrupt" - this was not fixed.

I have not done anything further - not sure what this means? Is it because I have hidden updates and anything to do with Windows 10? I have been avoiding installing Win 10 and would rather stick with W 7.

Do I need to install Windows Update again, as per your link to that Fixit page, and if so, how?

Still hanging, still not shutting down. Google webpage is still showing as having a certificate error.

Sounds like something is making the system run hard, too, if that makes sense? As in, the physical noise of the machine is quite loud compared to normal.

• Root Admin

Okay we'll try a few more things but the computer does not shown any ongoing signs of an infection.

Please Run TFC by OldTimer to clear temporary files:

• Download TFC from here and save it to your desktop.
  • http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe
  • Close any open programs and Internet browsers.
  • Double click TFC.exe to run it on XP (for Vista and Windows 7 right click and choose "Run as administrator") and once it opens click on the Start button on the lower left of the program to allow it to begin cleaning.
  • Please be patient as clearing out temp files may take a while.
  • Once it completes you may be prompted to restart your computer, please do so even if it does not ask
  • Once it's finished you may delete TFC.exe from your desktop or save it for later use for the cleaning of temporary files.

Then run the following fix from Microsoft. It's designed for Windows update issues but has the ability to fix a few other issues as well.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/910336

Next,

Please visit each of the following sites and lets reset all of your browsers back to defaults to prevent unexpected issues.
If you are not using one of the browsers but it is installed then you may want to consider uninstalling it as older versions of some software can pose an increase in the potential for an infection to get in.

Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Firefox
Click on Help / Troubleshooting Information then click on the Reset Firefox button.

Chrome
Start by disabling Sync
How To Delete Your Google Chrome Browser Sync Data
Chrome - Reset browser settings
If that fails then Uninstall Google Chrome and do not reinstall until sure the system is clean.

Edited by AdvancedSetup

Done. Ran the MS Fix a couple of times and finally got the Registration problem fixed. Updates are now installing, MS Fix now has green ticks all around.

Any thoughts on why I would still be having an issue with going to the Google site, and why PC will still not shut down?

• Root Admin

Great, glad to see those issues were resolved. As there are no longer any malware threats on the system then I'm going to go ahead and close up this topic.
If you still have other general PC issues you can always start a new topic in the General PC Help forum for further assistance.

At this time there are no more signs of an infection on your system.
However if you are still seeing any signs of an infection please let me know.

Let's go ahead and remove the tools and logs we've used during this process.

Most of the tools used are potentially dangerous to use unsupervised or if ran at the wrong time.
They are often updated daily so if you went to use them again in the future they would be outdated anyways.

The following procedures will implement some cleanup procedures to remove these tools.

bwebb7v.jpgDownload Delfix from here and save it to your desktop. (you may already have this)

• Ensure Remove disinfection tools is checked.
  • Click the Run button.
  • Reboot

Any other programs or logs that are still remaining, you can manually delete. (right click.....Delete)
IE: RogueKiller.exe, RKreport.txt, RK_Quarantine folder, C:\FRST folder, FRST-OlderVersion folder, MBAR folder, etc....AdwCleaner > just run the program and click uninstall.

If there are any other left over Folders, Files, Logs then you can delete them on your own.

Please visit the following link to see how to delete old System Restore Points. Please delete all of them and create a new one at this time.
How to Delete System Protection Restore Points in Windows 7 and Windows 8

Remove all but the most recent Restore Point on Windows XP

As Java seems to get exploited on a regular basis I advise not using Java if possible but to at least disable java in your web browsers
How do I disable Java in my web browser? - Disable Java

A lot of reading here but if you take the time to read a bit of it you'll see why/how infections and general damage are so easily inflicted on the computer. There is also advice on how to prevent it and keep the system working well. Don't forget about good, solid backups of your data to an external drive that is not connected except when backing up your data. If you leave a backup drive connected and you do get infected it can easily damage, encrypt, delete, or corrupt your backups as well and then you'd lose all data.
Nothing is 100% bulletproof but with a little bit of education you can certainly swing things in your favor.

If you're not currently using Malwarebytes Premium then you may want to consider purchasing the product which can also help greatly reduce the risk of a future infection.

All done. Things seem to be running much better. Thanks so much for your help Ron!

I just have one final question for you - is it possible for MB Premium and Kaspersky IS to run on this machine without conflict?

• 1 month later...

Glad we could help. :)If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!