Bluetooth no-no in Win 10

sman

Bluetooth still remains problematic in Win 10, (which find many users also seem to have problem with) and have to re-boot to the earlier Windows version (which I'm in multi-boot with) to do the required functions..

I hav'nt tried checking out the drivers, as I feel that P&P (Plug & Play mode) ought to take care of it automatically.. Any views, please? TIA..

• Root Admin

You need to find the exact model you have and visit the manufacturer website and verify they have a 100% working driver. Relying on Microsoft to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8 and use an older driver not specifically designed with Windows 10 in mind could easily be the issue. Check with the MFG

• Root Admin

Up to you. I've now had at least 6 computers that were upgraded from 7 and 8 to 10 that had multiple issues. I copied the users data off, downloaded the latest drivers for their systems, formatted the drive. Installed Windows 10 from scratch and all of them are now working flawlessly without any of the previous issues they had. You have an old system it has problems period and those problems are coming over to 10 unless you format and reinstall. Can you fix or get your drivers working, absolutely but I'm 100% sure that is not the only issue. If you look at the Event Logs I'm sure you will find all sorts of issues and it's not worth it to me to spend the time fixing when a clean install will always be better.

5 hours ago, sman said:

If upgrade state is the problem, maybe a 'clean install' might be needed which in the absence of any other issues hav'nt had the need / necessity for.. Tks @AS..

I always believe that is the best route.  It eliminates chaos that can be introduced as well as inherited bugs that may be exaggerated or made worse by an in situ OS upgrade.  I also believe one must have a CD/DVD Installer, all OS drivers and software handy, and all data must be backed-up prior to the process.  In short, one must be fully prepared to take the plunge.  That is with any OS.  It was true at Y2K and is still true Today.  I also do not believe in just jumping on a new OS bandwagon.  Wait unto the first Service Pack is released.  Microsoft changed the verbiage a bit with Windows 8 but Windows 8.1 is comparable to installing previous OS' at Service Pack 1 level.  Therefore It is my experienced view ( and IMHO ) that people should wait until v10.1 is released and have the CD/DVD installer and documented keycode.

I agree.  Upgrades, more often than not, lead to problems, particularly little, insidious idiosyncrasies that may not manifest right away, but only do so after extended use of the upgraded system.  However, as David mentions above, if you have those things and are armed with a good background of knowledge & experience, you can always try upgrading and then, if need be, reverting to a full OS reinstall.  I'm always testing some new product here or there, and I'm currently a Windows 10 Insider, receiving their preview builds almost as fast as they roll them out.  Having multiple machine, though, means that some receive the OS as an upgrade, and others later have the opportunity to upgrade if everything looks good, or, in case of problems, to be installed as a clean install.  Thus, I have a plethora of folders dedicated to each machine, which include in them drivers, program installation software, and machine-specific applications, all ready to use if the need arises.

It is not something to take lightly, and I encourage the novice user to first read, read  and read some more before you take the plunge yourself.  I'm an old hack at clean installing OSs as well as software, so I routinely run Beta versions, but as David said, you cannot just jump on the bandwagon to get new features unless you're willing to encounter problems and learn how to deal with them.  WinX is no longer a Beta, yes, but Microsoft has never made a fool-proof upgrade methodology for any of their OSs thus far, not since the upgrade from Windows 3.1 to 3.11 WfW (and even that had issues at times), but the great thing is that once you have upgraded from Win 7/8 to 10, you can always clean install 10 from scratch and still be activated.  For people who have already taken the upgrade plunge, as AS mentioned, letting Windows handle drivers is a poor, poor thing to do.  There are many repositories out there for drivers, including your machines' manufacturer website, and I encourage you to take a closer look at them to find valid drivers for your hardware made specifically Windows 10.

I chose to do a clean install of Win10 using the migration tool offered by MS. After you upgrade and activate the image on that system, only that system can use the image downloaded via the migration tool. It offers USB and ISO options to boot from. 

As far as your BT. I use Intel's driver utlility. Back in 13 it use to be web based. It is a stand alone installer to install drivers for intel based chipset mobos. intel.com > spt > drivers and downloads > download the Intel Driver Update Utliity.

Dell had Dell detect 

Lenovo's Think vantage

Windows update will also find the latest SM Bus, WDDM, Extensible Host Controller Interface, etc...

39 minutes ago, sman said:

Tks to your views @David, @John .. you have certainly woken me up to prepare things ready for any eventuality.. Thanks once again..

My father taught me to "Plan for the worst but hope for the best..."

It was and remains sound advice.