Will not scan

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Let's try this first....

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to uninstall your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x
  2. If that does not correct the issue, then please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)
  3. NOTE: More info about v2.2.0 HERE; User Guide ONLINE; User Guide PDF; FAQ: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Please let us know how it goes. Thank You, Firefox

• Root Admin

The logs indicate a couple things. One that your Avira antivirus appears to be either a fresh install or update as it has files it wants to rename but cannot until you restart the computer. Then it also has an Avira file that is crashing. Then you're having some type of disk or controller issue.

error: (03/16/2016 01:18:08 PM) (Source: Disk) (EventID: 11) (User: )
Description: The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\DR2.

I would recommend that you run a full disk check and see if that corrects the issue or not.

Click on START and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right click over it with the mouse and choose "Run as administrator"

Then type in the following exactly:

CHKDSK C: /R

Then it will say it cannot lock the drive do you want to run it after a restart. Press the Y key and then the Enter key and restart the computer to let it run the disk check
This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to many hours to run depending on the speed of your computer. Just let it run till it completes. After it loads back into Windows then try running a Threat Scan with MBAM again and let us know how that goes.

I'm curious about this problem. 

Yesterday, three friends had issues with the trial version of MBAM (2.2.0.1024) where all three failed to complete a Threat Scan.  One hung up on the Pre-Scan phase and the other two stopped at the Heuristic analysis.  All three mentioned they've been using MBAM Trial for about a year without failure, and they didn't make any changes to their system (i.e no program downloads).  

Could this be a coincidence for users running the trial version of MBAM, or was there a recent update that is causing this behavior?   

Hello, you may have to right click where a pull down menu appears.  Select "Run as Administrator"

"Click on START and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right click over it with the mouse and choose "Run as administrator"

3 hours ago, Topspin38 said:

Did as directed but Run As Administrator could not be found  See file  Guess I am doing something wrong

Capture.PNG

If you right click on cmd.exe you should get the option to run it as administrator.  The screenshot you provided shows that you are not running as admin, because admin cmd.exe starts in

C:\Windows|system32

and not your home directory.

Another way to get cmd.exe to start in admin mode is to type cmd.exe in the start search box, then hold the CTRL and SHIFT keys down (together) while you click on the cmd.exe entry at the top of the start box (or, alternately, select that entry using the arrow keys an hitting ENTER).

Depending upon your UAC settings, you might get a prompt requiring you to confirm that elevation of privilege, and if you do not click yes / accept / KO, then it will NOT run as admin.

HTH

46 minutes ago, Allsop said:

I'm curious about this problem. 

Yesterday, three friends had issues with the trial version of MBAM (2.2.0.1024) where all three failed to complete a Threat Scan.  One hung up on the Pre-Scan phase and the other two stopped at the Heuristic analysis.  All three mentioned they've been using MBAM Trial for about a year without failure, and they didn't make any changes to their system (i.e no program downloads).  

Could this be a coincidence for users running the trial version of MBAM, or was there a recent update that is causing this behavior?   

Hello, you may have to right click where a pull down menu appears.  Select "Run as Administrator"

"Click on START and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right click over it with the mouse and choose "Run as administrator"

Curiously, I started coming back to the forums just recently (~3-4 days ago) because I was having hanging issues in 2.2.0.1024 as well, though I am running Premium, not Free (which is what the Trial reverts to after its trial period expires).

1. What operating systems are your friends running? 
  2. If Windows 10, are they Insider Preview members, and if so, what *exact* Insider Preview build were they running?

On a side note, I am happy to say that I have not had a single issue with the newest release, version 2.2.1.1043, and and most people have had no issue installing it over the currently installed version.  You might have them try that.

If that does not work, then you can have them request help here directly so we can assist them with solving the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I didn't know 2.2.1.1043 had officially been released.  Must have been within the past couple of days because it couldn't have been that long where I attempted a clean install to fix the hanging scan issues.   

All three of them are still running W7 (one 32-bit and the other two 64-bit).  I'll tell them to download the newest version and have them run it and see what happens.

Cheers, again.

9 minutes ago, Allsop said:

Thanks for the suggestion. 

I didn't know 2.2.1.1043 had officially been released.  Must have been within the past couple of days because it couldn't have been that long where I attempted a clean install to fix the hanging scan issues.   

All three of them are still running W7 (one 32-bit and the other two 64-bit).  I'll tell them to download the newest version and have them run it and see what happens.

Cheers, again.

Yup, it was announced Friday, a day or two after I came back for that error.

5 minutes ago, Topspin38 said:

Not sure if you got my last msg but I was able to Run as Admin but nothing happened  Grrrrrrrrrr

Capture1.PNG

You have the command window open perfectly fine as you should, and it seems to be running with elevated privileges.  Now, what Ron asked you to do next was, in that window, type the following exactly as I have typed below:

CHKDSK C: /R 

Ron (AdvancedSetup) then stated the following:

On 3/19/2016 at 0:57 AM, AdvancedSetup said:

Then it will say it cannot lock the drive do you want to run it after a restart. Press the Y key and then the Enter key and restart the computer to let it run the disk check
This can take anywhere from 20 minutes to many hours to run depending on the speed of your computer. Just let it run till it completes. After it loads back into Windows then try running a Threat Scan with MBAM again and let us know how that goes.

Do that and then report back if it is working or not.

Edited by John L. Galt

• Root Admin

You can locate what the Disk Check did in the Event Logs. The link below shows how to open and look for it. Then copy/paste the results back here.

You may need to press the CTRL and right click the mouse in order to paste it though.

On Windows 7 the disk check log is in the Event Logs under Application with a heading source of  Wininit

How to Read the Event Viewer Log for Check Disk (chkdsk) in Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8