2 XP computers freeze up

Looked at my desktop today and saw a Windows notice that MBAM had a problem and had stopped.

Computer began acting sluggish, restarted and found this in event viewer:

Faulting application mbamservice.exe, version 3.2.13.0, faulting module mbamservice.exe, version 3.2.13.0, fault address 0x00006008.

0000: 41 70 70 6c 69 63 61 74   Applicat

0008: 69 6f 6e 20 46 61 69 6c   ion Fail

0010: 75 72 65 20 20 6d 62 61   ure  mba

0018: 6d 73 65 72 76 69 63 65   mservice

0020: 2e 65 78 65 20 33 2e 32   .exe 3.2

0028: 2e 31 33 2e 30 20 69 6e   .13.0 in

0030: 20 6d 62 61 6d 73 65 72    mbamser

0038: 76 69 63 65 2e 65 78 65   vice.exe

0040: 20 33 2e 32 2e 31 33 2e    3.2.13.

0048: 30 20 61 74 20 6f 66 66   0 at off

0050: 73 65 74 20 30 30 30 30   set 0000

0058: 36 30 30 38               6008   

Computer continued behaving badly and I could not get online to investigate problem.  Could not perform a restore either.

I went to my wife's computer and found the same Windows error message about MBAM faulting.  Her computer also began to freeze up after restarting.

I was able to start her computer in safe mode and then uninstall MBAM.  Her computer acted fine after that.

Went back to my computer, started in safe mode and uninstalled MBAM.. Computer OK after that.

Wife's computer up to date wireless XP SP3

My computer is up to date  wired XP. SP3

Both computers had pro copies of newest MBAM.

I'm afraid to reinstall MBAM

You guys do something strange today?

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes :)

Let's try this first....

Thank You,

Firefox

I had the same problem today... 3 different computers, all different brands, 2 old, one (my baby) Alien. All XP, different versions. It took me hours to shut down all the programs running because I did not want to 'force' them off. I did not find any results in my aliens event viewer. I had to restart each in safe mode to get MBAM not to start automatically with windows. All three had software version 2.1.8.1057. and started with database 7.24.7. All three I got to update to DB 7.24.8, and restarted each, but it made no difference. I already uninstalled it on 2 of them. I will try the steps above, but I should not have to being in 3 different computers. I am guessing this happened to a LOT of users. What a FUBAR!

Same issue here, two XP based machines with 2.1.8.1057 froze, reboot did not help.   I finally booted to safe mode and uninstalled the software, rebooted and was back up and running.    Now to decided to go forward with this software or find something else, as this issue clearly caused by them, is unacceptable!

Well, here it is 2 hours later, and the clean/re-install seems to have done the job. I have re-started 3 times, and done 3 complete power downs, with no afteraffects. I have been using, and swearing by this software for over 10 years, and this is only the second time I have had any problems. I dont even use any firewall software any more, and I hit a LOT of websites. Malwarebytes has stopped a Bunch of things trying to get into my computer!

To ssquared14, If this is your first usage of the software, you just hit at a bad time. For the most part, I would not use anything else. It has proven itself over and over. I have always told my employees not to use the internet unless that icon is there... and... about 4 weeks ago, one of them did, and one of my store computers got infected. This was a bad one, it found my network and tried to spread itself. The other 3 computers in the store all showed a warning alert, and my main house computer (seperate buildings, but same network), also gave the same alert. It stopped this brute in its tracks. It was bad enough, I had to wipe the original infected computer to get it clean again. I ram malwarebytes 4 times, and it kept finding stuff... since I run my accounting on that computer, I just had to be sure it was safe, so I wiped the drive and re-installed all the software. I hope my staff learned something from this.

I had the same problem on my 2 computers Windows XP SP3, and I uninstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 2.1.8.1057 in safe mode and I have downloaded from the internet the same software version 2.1.8.1057 and I resettlement is in normal mode and all came back normal. ??????????????

Exactly the same here.

Well, clearly it's a problem with the new version, not anything from our computers.

The problem it's within the real time protection Module in windows XP,  when it's activated, our computer freezes.

Running Mbam.exe with compatibility mode with windows NT 4.0 (service pack 5) solves the problem (the real time protection can be enabled and XP systems works smooth).

As I said, time ago with the auto protection module.

A pity that you seems to not give a lot of support into XP computers.

Hi, JordiVirgili:

You wrote:

A pity that you seems to not give a lot of support into XP computers.

Really??? :blink:

XP is a 15-year old OS that is no longer supported or patched by Microsoft.

Many security and other software vendors have already long ago dropped support for Windows XP.
Malwarebytes has, to the contrary, gone far "above and beyond" to commit to providing XP compatibility for their products, even their Free versions.
There comes a point in time where it simply may not be possible to provide flawless performance of a current, up-to-date software application on a very old, outdated OS and hardware.

Having said that, many XP users are running MBAM 2.1.8 on their systems, without problems.

((A recent "bug"preventing installation of version 2.1.8 on SOME, VERY OLD, single-core processors under XP has been identified and a hotfix is available, thanks to hard work by the QA team.))

The problem you describe however, does not seem to be the same as the one for which the hotfix has been issued.
Freezing and hanging could have a wide range of causes: corrupt files, bad disk, malware, insufficient RAM, accumulated temp files, etc. etc. etc.

We would be happy to assist you. :)

We will need a bit of basic system information in order to do so.
Please read the following and attach to your next reply the 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs (the 3 logs are: FRST.txt, Addition.txt and CheckResults.txt)

Thank you,

My XP Pro SP3 PC was working perfect until I saw Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 2.1.8.1057 in taskbar with a :( protection turned off then an error popup. Once I clicked on Malwarebytes error OK. Then PC was stuck with constant Hour glass 30 in later I shut PC down. Scratched my head and thought what the hell was that.

Reboot PC and had constant WELCOME screen < would not go past this????

Bootup in to Safe Mode checking boot.ini everything look ok.

Looked at Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 2.1.8.1057 and saw FIX button ON that was not there before. <<<< Many reboots to see Welcome Screen and constant HOURGLASS.

I found this post <<<  THANK YOU

Bootup into SAFE MODE >>>>>> Uninstalled Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Version 2.1.8.1057

XP PRO SP3 is back >>>> YA

Hello and welcome, @HVAC (and everyone else who is NOT the Topic Starter in this thread): :)

Sorry to hear about your issues with 2.1.8.1.1057 on your XP systems.

Every computer is unique.
Problems that sound "the same", most often are not.
The same is true for the solutions.

We would be happy to assist each of you with getting MBAM up and running.
However, it will be much less confusing if we could provide custom help for each person in a SEPARATE forum thread*.

So, if you are NOT @TripodBob, we respectfully ask that each of you (@HVAC, @JordiVirgili, @Roche252, @niak32, @Sparky_2020, @ssquared14, and @slowspeed) please do the following:

• First, please carefully follow the advice in this sticky topic to generate 3 diagnostic logs and save them on your desktop: Diagnostic Logs.
  • Then, please start a new, separate forum post using this clickable cjfj.png button.
  • Please ATTACH all 3 logs to to that new post.

That way, the forum staff and experts can provide each of you with customized assistance.

Thank you,

*The forum staff *might* split off all of your "extra" replies from the Topic Starter's thread. No worries, though.

Here's what I have so far.

Started safe mode and uninstalled MBAM.

Downloaded and ran Clean Removal. 

Reinstalled MBAM. 

Seems to be OK but I did find some checksum errors in yesterdays log (after the fresh install). But not in today's log. Log is below

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Protection, 7/24/2015 9:45:29 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:45:29 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malware Protection, Started,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:45:29 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:45:32 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Error, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Update, Bad md5 or size: domains, 11,
Error, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Update, Bad md5 or size: ips, 11,
Error, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Update, Bad md5 or size: akadomains, 11,
Error, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Update, Bad md5 or size: akaips, 11,
Update, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, IP Database, 0.0.0.0, 2015.7.24.3,
Update, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, Domain Database, 0.0.0.0, 2015.7.24.2,
Update, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, Rootkit Database, 2015.6.2.1, 2015.7.22.1,
Update, 7/24/2015 9:45:58 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, Remediation Database, 2015.5.13.1, 2015.7.20.1,
Update, 7/24/2015 9:46:01 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, AKA IP Database, 0.0.0.0, 2015.7.15.1,
Update, 7/24/2015 9:46:03 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, AKA Domain Database, 0.0.0.0, 2015.7.25.2,
Update, 7/24/2015 9:46:36 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, Malware Database, 2015.6.3.3, 2015.7.24.8,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:46:36 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Refresh, Starting,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:46:36 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:46:37 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:46:47 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Refresh, Success,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:46:47 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:46:51 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Scan, 7/24/2015 9:56:55 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Manual, Start:7/24/2015 9:47:13 PM, Duration:9 min 42 sec, Threat Scan, Completed, 0 Malware Detections, 0 Non-Malware Detections,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:56:55 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:56:55 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:56:56 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 7/24/2015 9:57:00 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,
Update, 7/24/2015 11:45:51 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Scheduler, AKA Domain Database, 2015.7.25.2, 2015.7.25.3,
Protection, 7/24/2015 11:45:51 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Refresh, Starting,
Protection, 7/24/2015 11:45:51 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping,
Protection, 7/24/2015 11:45:52 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped,
Protection, 7/24/2015 11:46:04 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Refresh, Success,
Protection, 7/24/2015 11:46:04 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting,
Protection, 7/24/2015 11:46:10 PM, SYSTEM, ROB, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started,

(end)

I then ran the suggested programs, logs below.

FRST.txt

Addition.txt

CheckResults.txt

Hi, @TripodBob:

Thanks for the update and for the new logs (and sorry about all of the well-meaning, but confusing, "me, too!" replies from other users). :)

For the record, and for anyone else reading this thread, it's generally neither necessary nor recommended to uninstall MBAM from Windows Safe Mode.

The preferred, "best practices" method for a clean reinstall is in the tutorial for which @Firefox provided the link: MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

And your mbam-check log shows that the system needs to be rebooted to complete the new installation:

Pending File Rename Operations:
================================
If any Malwarebytes Anti-Malware items are listed below, the user must reboot to complete a Malwarebytes Anti-Malware upgrade installation.
Pending File Rename Operations:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
    PendingFileRenameOperations    REG_MULTI_SZ    \??\C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll.old

Having said that, it appears that you were able to run a complete Threat Scan without a problem???

So, I suggest the following:

1. Please reboot the computer and continue to monitor the behavior.
  2. Please wait for a Malwarebytes staff member or forum expert to review your new logs and advise you further.

Thanks for your patience,

Hello and :welcome: , @tomaldridge:

You wrote:

I have 12 XP PRO SP3 systems running POS software, that all had this issue on July 24 at 3 pm central. (I realize the OS is old so no scolding please... due to be replace soon.) Anyway, it took hours but I managed to uninstall MBAM. Need some help. Thanks.

Please refer to and follow this advice posted earlier in this thread here:

Hello and welcome, @HVAC (and everyone else who is NOT the Topic Starter in this thread): :)

However, it will be much less confusing if we could provide custom help for each person in a SEPARATE forum thread*.

So, if you are NOT @TripodBob, we respectfully ask that each of you (@HVAC, @JordiVirgili, @Roche252, @niak32, @Sparky_2020, @ssquared14, and @slowspeed) please do the following:

• First, please carefully follow the advice in this sticky topic to generate 3 diagnostic logs and save them on your desktop: Diagnostic Logs.
  • Then, please start a new, separate forum post using this clickable cjfj.png button.

That way, the forum staff and experts can provide each of you with customized assistance.

Thank you,

*The forum staff *might* split off all of your "extra" replies from the Topic Starter's thread. No worries, though.

Thanks very much for your patience and understanding,

Hi, again, @tomaldridge:

I have 12 XP PRO SP3 systems running POS software, that all had this issue on July 24 at 3 pm central.

I apologize for missing this in my first reply to you....

It sounds as if you are running the Consumer version of MBAM on Business computers???
A couple of issues:

• The current version of MBAM for use on business systems is version 1.75.  Version 2.x (including the current 2.1.8.1057 build) is only for home users on personal computers:
    • It is actually a violation of the EULA to run the Consumer Version on business computers.
    • Use of MBAM on business computers requires business licensing.

So, rather than following my earlier advice about collecting logs and posting them here in the Consumer support forum, I suggest logging a ticket with the Business Help Desk HERE.
They can assist you both with sorting out licensing issues and with technical support.

I apologize for the misunderstanding.
Thanks again,

Thanks, I am a small business that happens to have these 12 XP boxes, I purchased premium but wrongly assumed that unless I am a large business with dozens if not hundreds of units I could run premium. I stand corrected and have/will reach out to business sales. However, your suggestion to start a business ticket will not work (that I can see as it asks for a "reference number". So with that in mind, I'm thinking it's best to scrub the systems of any remants of MBAM in preparation for installing the business version so I don't have a recurrence of what happened the other day? Please advise, is that necessary? Also, do you know off hand if the business version still supports XP? I won't be upgrading past XP for several months yet.

Thanks, I am a small business that happens to have these 12 XP boxes, I purchased premium but wrongly assumed that unless I am a large business with dozens if not hundreds of units I could run premium. I stand corrected and have/will reach out to business sales. However, your suggestion to start a business ticket will not work (that I can see as it asks for a "reference number". So with that in mind, I'm thinking it's best to scrub the systems of any remants of MBAM in preparation for installing the business version so I don't have a recurrence of what happened the other day? Please advise, is that necessary? Also, do you know off hand if the business version still supports XP? I won't be upgrading past XP for several months yet.

I think you can still log the ticket (it's basically just an email request), even without a reference number??

Just complete the required fields as best you can and put any special info in the "Description" field.

That is probably your best bet at this time, especially since this particular thread was started by a different forum member and your problem is unrelated to his. ;)

You can sort out the details with the Support Team member who replies to your email request.

The Business Support Team can assist with technical support issues.

They can also assist with migrating the licenses to the proper type.

(Yes, I expect that the Business version of MBAM still supports XP. But, again the Support Team folks would be able to best address that.)

Thank you again,

Same problem for me wih my XP machines.

I'm quite sure that nobody from MBAM R&D tested this new version on XP...

A shame... :angry:

Actually, many people with XP are running 2.1.8 just fine.

A specific upgrade issue for some users with older, single core processors and XP has already been identified and hotfix has been issued.

XP is long dead for support from MS, and MBAM team is exceeding what is being offered by many other software/security software vendors, in terms of XP compatibility.

But they cannot possibly test every possible OS, software and hardware configuration, especially when it comes to older, less robust systems.

As has been previously stated, if you would like help, then please see here:

Thank you,

Thank you,

Actually, many people with XP are running 2.1.8 just fine.

A specific upgrade issue for some users with older, single core processors and XP has already been identified and hotfix has been issued.

XP is long dead for support from MS, and MBAM team is exceeding what is being offered by many other software/security software vendors, in terms of XP compatibility.

But they cannot possibly test every possible OS, software and hardware configuration, especially when it comes to older, less robust systems.

As has been previously stated, if you would like help, then please see here:

Thank you,

I disagree !

1. Many people with XP have problem with 2.1.8.

2. All my PC's have dual core CPU.

3. As the MS XP support is dead, either you have to mention clearly that XP is no more supported by your product, or you must test it seriously.

I disagree !

1. Many people with XP have problem with 2.1.8.

2. All my PC's have dual core CPU.

3. As the MS XP support is dead, either you have to mention clearly that XP is no more supported by your product, or you must test it seriously.

XP is still supported by Malwarebytes to the extent that it is possible.

But no one on the MBAM team is a magician with Xray vision.

They cannot possibly know what is going on with your computer(s) without a bit of basic information.

In the meantime, you are hijacking a thread started by another user (one who has posted the necessary information to help the QA team).

So, if you are NOT @TripodBob, and you would like support here in this support forum, then we respectfully ask that each of you (@HVAC, @JordiVirgili, @Roche252, @niak32, @Sparky_2020, @ssquared14, and @slowspeed and all the rest) please do the following:

If you do not wish to obtain support, then we respectfully ask that you not continue to hijack this thread.

There is a "Comments and Suggestions" sub-forum here. :)

Thank you again,

XP is still supported by Malwarebytes to the extent that it is possible.

But no one on the MBAM team is a magician with Xray vision.

They cannot possibly know what is going on with your computer(s) without a bit of basic information.

In the meantime, you are hijacking a thread started by another user (one who has posted the necessary information to help the QA team).

Sorry Sir, but don't try to avoid my remarks or justify that I'm responsible of something when clearly the MBAM R&D is faulty.

Your product is not free so you have a minimum to do to be credible...

• Staff

Daledoc is a volunteer.

We are trying to figure out what is going on here with it. So far have been unable too. IF you can provide the information like Daledoc suggested it may be helpful in figuring out what is going on.

We do test on xp and have been unable to duplicate the issue here so far.