MBAM 2.1.8.1057 will not run on older AMD Athlon (32-bit) processors

I am having a problem with MBAM 2.1.8.1057.  It became apparent after I had accepted the invitation to update MBAM from MBAM 2.1.6.1022.  The installation procedure completed but mbam.exe failed to start and produced a message box (see attached jpeg file).

My hardware is old with AMD Athlon (32-bit) processors (which might not possess some instructions present in later processors).  I am finding that some other software producers seem not to be aware that older processors might not have all the capabilities of modern processors with the result that their software will not run.

Fortunately I can revert to MBAM 2.1.6.1022 as I have retained the installation setup file for this version.

I am running Windows XP SP3.

post-150292-0-64753300-1435905745_thumb.

My hardware is old with AMD Athlon (32-bit) processors (which might not possess some instructions present in later processors).

Hi hake:

I can't see anything in the MBAM system requirements that states that your CPU must support the SSE2 instruction set, but if you have an AMD Athlon XP processor (or an Intel processor older than the Pentium M) then your CPU likely only supports SSE.

You can use a free utility like Piriform's Speccy to determine if your CPU supports SSE2 instructions.

post-16430-0-64208900-1435925003_thumb.p

-------------

32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 38.0.5 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.8

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Hello @hake:

• Please read the topic Diagnostic Logs and then individually ATTACH the 3 requested logs in your next reply to this thread only.
  • The 3 files, from Step 1, to be individually ATTACHED from your desktop are CheckResults.txt, FRST.txt and Addition.txt. Please do not Zip or Copy and Paste them into a reply. Please do not alter, any FRST categories as they are pre-configured for this forum.

Thank You.

Hi, all:

>>There are several XP users reporting the same error code and/or install/upgrade failures with 2.1.8.

>>The issue has been reported to the MBAM Product team.

It's not yet clear if the issue affects *all* XP users, or just certain users.

It's likewise not yet clear if the issue lies with hardware, Windows XP itself, an MBAM bug, or other factors.

It certainly won't hurt to collect some Diagnostic Logs from affected users.

So, that would be a good idea, as @1PW suggested.

Please try to be patient, as it is a long holiday weekend in the U.S., where most MBAM staff members are based.

Someone from the staff/product team will reply as soon as possible.

Thanks,

• Root Admin

Hi hake

Not sure what's causing it. Appears to be some users on XP only so far that are getting this error. We need some logs please so that we can start to try to figure out why some are getting this error. Not everyone on XP is getting it so we need to run some scans to see what's common and what might be causing this.

Please read the following and post back the 3 requested logs.

Diagnostic Logs

Thank you

Hi hake:

I can't see anything in the MBAM system requirements that states that your CPU must support the SSE2 instruction set, but if you have an AMD Athlon XP processor (or an Intel processor older than the Pentium M) then your CPU likely only supports SSE.

You can use a free utility like Piriform's Speccy to determine if your CPU supports SSE2 instructions.

attachicon.gifSpeccy CPU SSE2.png

-------------

32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox 38.0.5 * NIS 2014 v. 21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium 2.1.8

HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Interesting point.

My Intel CPU supports MMX and SSE only.

I use it as a print server.

I tested with both a current install and a clean install of Windows XP SP3 (fully patched), so I don't think it's "other-software" related.