Downsides/Cons to running MBAE?

theflyest

Hello. I'm wondering if there are any downsides to running MBAE? Anything at all, such as (but not limited to) degraded system performance, degraded performance of a shielded application, behavioral issues of a shielded application, etc, and to what degree they might typically occur.

I'm aware of the positive things MBAE does, I am just trying to gauge if it is right for me (and in the future, others I recommend it to based on my gained experience with the application). I know it's sort of an odd question, but it would be nice to know the culprit of any negative effects I encounter when using MBAE instead of wondering if it's something else causing the 'problem' or just a bug that only I am encountering.

Thank you.

Hi:

It runs as in the background.

I've never seen any of the downsides you mention.

Bugs/issues are fixed promptly by a very engaged and dedicated product manager and team.

More information here (it's an external link, but the information is detailed, excellent and comprehensive).

But each computer is unique.

There is no way to predict with 100% certainty how it will perform on your computer.

Why don't you try it and see?

The Free version is....................... free. :)

There is a 14-day Trial.

And the Premium version has a 30-day money-back guarantee.

Cheers,

Is it good to install on friends and families computers who are not savvy computer users, will it confuse them?

Does it update itself in a more user friendly way then Malwarebytes? (automatically and behind the scenes?)

Is it less necessary if you only use Chrome?

Is it good to install on friends and families computers who are not savvy computer users,

Yes.

It works alongside MBAM Premium.

MBAM protects against the "what" of malware, while MBAE protects against the "how", by shielding vulnerable applications.

will it confuse them?

We don't know your friends and family, so it's impossible to say.

But it runs in the background with no user input needed (for Free) and little input needed for Premium (only to set custom shields, settings, if desired).

Does it update itself in a more user friendly way then Malwarebytes? (automatically and behind the scenes?)

It will silently check for program updates in the background.

When there is a new program version available, it will prompt the user to OK the upgrade.

There is no "database" of signatures for MBAE, so the only updates are the occasional program updates.

Is it less necessary if you only use Chrome?

No. All browsers are potentially vulnerable to exploits, including Chrome.

You might want to check out the numerous resources listed here, especially these:

Exploits: How they work and how to crush them

HERE is a video of MBAE in action

FAQ

Cheers,

Thanks, that sounds great except the update part. I wish it just updated silently in the background.

pbust will likely have additional feedback about that, but most software programs -- especially security applications -- require at least a user "OK" to proceed.

That's pretty much what we're talking about here.

Again, we're talking the occasional (a few times a year) update.

Shouldn't be a burden even for a basic user.

JMHO,

• Staff

Yes it does auto-upgrade silently in the background.

You can turn that feature off and then it will simply show a popup telling the user that there is a new version available (OK/Cancel) and if the user chooses OK then it auto-upgrades silently in the background.

You can turn that feature off and then it will simply show a popup telling the user that there is a new version available (OK/Cancel) and if the user chooses OK then it auto-upgrades silently in the background.

Oh, darn!

My bad!

:blush: <face palm> :blush:

Senior moment on my part!

I guess I forgot, since I always disable auto-updates for programs.

I ought to have opened the darn GUI before I misspoke.

Please forgive my mistake.

Thanks a TON for setting me straight on that.

Great! Now add that functionality to regular malwarebytes and it will be even better!

Some people just hate doing anything that their PC tells them to do and closes notices to upgrade malwarebytes so they can do whatever they started the PC for. They don't like that it's nagging even though they spend more time getting annoyed by it over and over for weeks then just clicking the few click installing the new version requires.

For people like that a background updater/installer would be damn useful.

There is one major downside to installing MBAE on computers.   If you are a computer consultant who charges by the hour and who specializes in removing malware especially the nasty stuff from peoples' computers you will have a lot less work to do and a lot less income if you install MBAE on your clients computers

That's good for me because I look after my friends' PCs unpaid.  The fewer of the dreaded phone calls begging me for help the better.  MBAE reduces stress.  Could add years to my life.