Need some PC advice

smemeber

Oh, I did miss that. Had you been reading this topic for a while ?

@malwarebytesmemeber : wouldn't you know it, the Core i7 3770 you want doesn't even fit on the Z97 motherboards because the socket is different. I kinda missed that small detail, oopsy ;)

It wouldn't fit on a Z87 board either. Socket for Ivy bridge is LGA 1155,. while Z97 and Z87 have LG 1150.

So... does the Haswell i7 4790 (or 4770) look better now ?

I guess so :P

Oh, I did miss that. Had you been reading this topic for a while ?

Haha, no, I'm not mean enough to do that, came across the thread just before I made my post :)

I'd personally get an unlocked CPU, I've been running my 3770k at 5GHz for about a year now, stock clock is 3.5GHz. Point is, if you've got an unlocked CPU, when you get to the point where you're thinking of a CPU upgrade to keep up with the latest games or whatever it is, rather than paying out for a whole new CPU and Mobo you've got the option of upgrading your CPU cooler and overclocking the CPU.

As for RAM, I'd say get two 8GB sticks, totalling 16GB, and you'll never have to worry about it again. Don't be tempted to try to fill all four slots, it just slows things down and puts extra stress on the memory controller, it's dual channel, so optimal performance and stability is two sticks in the right places. I'd also recommend you get 1600MHz or 1866MHz RAM; any slower and the performance drop can be noticeable, any faster gives no real improvement but the cost tends to go through the roof.

Seems to be a lack of mention surrounding what PSU; I've very little experience when it comes to consumer PSUs but the power supply is probably the most important part of any computer. There's a lot of crap ones out there, so do the research on any particular models you lean towards. I'd advise getting something that's listed on this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/183810/faq-recommended-power-supplies

Haha, no, I'm not mean enough to do that, came across the thread just before I made my post :)

I'd personally get an unlocked CPU, I've been running my 3770k at 5GHz for about a year now, stock clock is 3.5GHz. Point is, if you've got an unlocked CPU, when you get to the point where you're thinking of a CPU upgrade to keep up with the latest games or whatever it is, rather than paying out for a whole new CPU and Mobo you've got the option of upgrading your CPU cooler and overclocking the CPU.

Ok then. When I read your reply I just thought... well, this is a security oriented forum, and the OP asked a hardware related question in the "General Chat" section. Of a security oriented forum lol. So I thought I had some wiggle room, or, as it turned out, room for error. I think the OP knows he's just getting ideas/opinions from security minded, well-intentioned folks ;)

I built my present rig two years ago and it has a 3770K, but it's running at stock clock because I'm a big chicken and it is the main family machine, heh. I do have some cooling from a Xigmatek Dark Knight, but I'm still too much of a chicken to fool around with the clock. I'm happy with overall performance (SSD, 2x8GB DDR3 sticks). The 3770K was on special when I bought it, so I didn't waste any good money going with it instead of a locked processor. I'll build a new rig in a year or two, when SATA Express and/or M.2 PCIe are well established. Oh and DDR4 as well, which is just starting to emerge.

About the PSU : I know this is a sensitive subject for many ; I merely recommended a certified, quality unit without going into the nitty gritty.

• Root Admin

Cheaper to go with Quad-core unlocked i7 vs the newer 6 core (IMHO) it's still a beast of a processor. I have one from 5 years ago that is still very fast. About the only thing that slows it is video rendering in Adobe Premiere or After Affects, other than that it chews up just about anything you throw at it. Yes the newer CPUs are faster but overall not worth it if looking at bang-for-the-buck

Agree on the 2 sticks vs 4 sticks of memory as well and a good power supply.

Ok then. When I read your reply I just thought... well, this is a security oriented forum, and the OP asked a hardware related question in the "General Chat" section. Of a security oriented forum lol. So I thought I had some wiggle room, or, as it turned out, room for error. I think the OP knows he's just getting ideas/opinions from security minded, well-intentioned folks ;)

I don't disagree, I was just in a grumpy mood, ahah.. sorryy guys  :unsure: 

• 4 weeks later...

Apparently I'm the only one who still uses NVIDIA video cards... :lol:

I think I purchased my last ATI card about 10 years ago. When NVIDIA came out with the 6000 series ATI's driver nightmares were no longer worth it, as NVIDIA's chips were outperforming them at the time. Since I rarely have issues with NVIDIA's drivers, I've not switched back, even though ATI's cards usually use less power and run cooler these days. I also don't really pay that much attention to video cards these days. The ATI cards these days seem to be favored by people who are using OpenCL applications, such as BitCoin/LiteCoin/etc. miners, and I don't do that sort of thing. I think most of the guys I know who had ATI cards for cryptocurrency mining are switching back to NVIDIA now for gaming, since mining LiteCoins/VertCoins/whatever wasn't paying off.

And yes, I do like ASUS products. I know they often don't perform as well as other brands, but when I build a computer I expect it to last for 5+ years, and ASUS products have always been reliable and outlast their warranties for me (I built my old AMD socket 939 system with ASUS hardware in 2005, and not only is it still capable of running today, but I used it for 7 or 8 years without any real hardware issues). As with anything else, your mileage may vary. ;)