Does MBAM 2 Remove Pictures From Some Emails?

I've noticed some emails come in blank except for the text and this spoils my reading because I always opt for HTML emails.  That issue corrects itself if I reboot, but only for a while.  It only started after I activated full protection in MBAM and hasn;t occurred before.

Comments?

Hi, Ex_Brit: :)

Until staff arrives to weigh in (and they will correct me if I am wrong).....

No, not that I'm aware of, at least directly.

If the image is hosted on a website -- IOW it is embedded as a LINK, rather than an attachment -- then I suppose that the IP blocking module might block it.  However, if you have notifications enabled, you ought to get a popup to that effect.

What happens when you disable RTP (either malware protection and/or malicious website protection) in MBAM?
Does the problem remain?

It might help to know a bit more about your system (what platform? what email client? what AV and other security apps? etc).
To that end, please feel free read the following and post back attached to your next replythe 3 requested logs - Diagnostic Logs

NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here - Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Thanks,

post-29793-0-96085200-1406470309_thumb.p

It isn't Earth shattering so I wont pursue it.  It seems intermittent anyway so could easily be an issue with my ISP.   I just thought there may have been some similar reports.

The only popup I got today was for one website I visited and it was OK so cleared it.

This was with Vista Ultimate SP2/Incredimail  XE (premium) but noticed it sometimes occurs in Windows Mail too.   My A/V is McAfee All Access - Total Protection.   I've just turned off Email Scanning in that as a recent update to that may be the cause too.

I'll let it go for now thanks again.

OK, that sounds like a plan. :)

I am pretty sure that it's not MBAM causing this behavior -- your ISP or perhaps the McAfee email scanning module sound like more likely culprits (blocking html for security reasons?).

Please feel free to post back if it continues to be an issue.

In the interim, perhaps AdvancedSetup or another staffer will weigh in with definitive confirmation.

Thanks,

• Root Admin

The only way we would block one from mail would be if it was not really an image file but masquerading as one (though typically most mail systems won't pass it either as they will scan with antivirus) or if it was link to an image and not a physical attachment and it was going to a known bad site that was on our block list. In that case the IP block would alert.

Thanks.   Since turning off email scanning in my A/V it appears to have corrected iteself.    I think it was over-compensating as nothing in my mail is remotely dangerous.   Alrwady been well-filtered by Spamcop.

Thanks.   Since turning off email scanning in my A/V it appears to have corrected iteself.    I think it was over-compensating as nothing in my mail is remotely dangerous.   Alrwady been well-filtered by Spamcop.

Leaving email scanning off opens you up to a potential to getting infected.  I would rather be protected and have a few emails from displaying properly.

Well the A/V would catch anything anyway as it tries to load, Email Scanning is often regarded as a possibly unnecessary extra in some circles.   I';ll certainly turn it back on when I can find out if there's a fix for the issue from McAfee.

• Root Admin

The intent or idea behind the email plug-in is that it can search for stuff inside the container that the antivirus outside cannot scan the contents as it does not have sufficient rights or smarts to do so. So in theory if something is in there it can find it and block or remove it before you get a chance to potentially execute it. But on the other hand in "most" cases the same antivirus would see the file build in the %temp% folder and catch it that way. However the secondary catch method may not have all the same detection flags as a random unknown file, process starting in %temp%.  Thus the email scanner plugin "should" provide some measure of added security but one has to consider what else is typically going on as almost all ISP and email providers both public and private also run antivirus at the server level against all email coming and going so even when private email is sent over the Internet from company A to company B it is scanned by every server in the hop for bad content. Then the local antivirus even without a plugin will scan anything that is run on the system. If the plugin works and is not buggy probably good to run it, but I've seen where the plugins can really slow or sometimes even freeze the system off and on while trying to use the mail. So one needs to decide for themselves if they really want or need that extra protection.

I think the plugin is buggy and will follow up on that.  Meanwhile I'll turn it off only when it really gets annoying.   Annoying as in (for instance) an Adobe Newsletter that is totally blank apart from "to view this on the web click here".