Getting Pup warning but software has been on my PC for years

I am not super technical so please forgive me.

I ran malwarebytes today and it showed Pup.Optional.Tarma.A in an exe file and 2 registry keys.

I use Norton Ghost as a disk immager.  I installed a very old image on my PC ... one that was clean and where I had run malewarebytes many times after it and it was clean.

After the image loaded ... I updated Malwarebytes and it showed the same 3 Pup warnings.

I ran Jyotti and Clam Av found PUA.win32.Packer.SetupExeSection which I understand is often found whn malwarebytes identifies a Pup.

I ran VirusTtoal and only malwarebytes found a Pup

I ran Metascan which was clean.

Any chance there is something amiss with the Malwarebytes files today?

I tried to upload the file ... with both the basic and advanced but it a setup.exe file and it said I wasn't permitted to upload this type of file.

Follow this link, read the pinned topics at the top, then submit the file according to the instructions in the pinned topic:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=42

It may be a false positive, and it may be the result of aggressive scanning for PUPs.  If files include something that is not additional to the executable that was downloaded, they often are unwanted and went unnoticed during the download and/or installation process.  That makes them Potentially Unwanted Programs.

Also, please read this section in the on-line help.  The NON-MALWARE PROTECTION section is specifically about PUPs.

PLEASE NOTE: I messed up the second link when I typed this.  It is now fixed.  Sorry for any confusion.

• Root Admin

Sorry for the delay. The site is crazy busy right now. I've just saved your file and rescanned it on VirusTotal.com and we're the only ones detecting it so let me submit it to the Research Team and see what they say. I should get a reply by sometime tomorrow and then I'll let you know.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Research says this will be fixed in the next database update. Please check for updates for MBAM and then run a new scan and let me know if it's still detected or not.

Also, you're on an older version of MBAM. We're now on version 2 which has many improvements. If you'd like help installing the latest version then please follow the directions below.

Thank You

• 1 month later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!