Context menu entry not showing

Go ahead and run the file AdvancedSetup linked to and see if you're able to register the dll then using the regsvr32 command above. If it doesn't work, then please try the following two commands as a test of sorts to see if the register/unregister function overall is working as it should:

regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx"
regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx"

Let me know the results please.

Go ahead and run the file AdvancedSetup linked to and see if you're able to register the dll then using the regsvr32 command above. If it doesn't work, then please try the following two commands as a test of sorts to see if the register/unregister function overall is working as it should:
regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx"

regsvr32 "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\vbalsgrid6.ocx"

Let me know the results please.

I ran the fixacl.exe . I have the output file aclreset.txt .

Next I ran the regsvr32 command and it failed again with the same error code.

I then ran both of the new regsrv32 commands and they both Succeeded.

Ok, please try following the instructions in the first post here and see if that fixes it. If not, let me know, I've still got 1 or 2 more ideas to try before we go back to the drawing board :) .

edit: sorry, fogot that I had you do that already (long thread :o ).

Give this a shot:

Please download Dial-a-fix from here: Dial-a-fix

• Unzip it and run Dial-a-fix.exe.
  • Click on the Policies button on the bottom of the window, and when the second window opens up there should be a list of restrictions,
  • make sure there is a check mark next to each one (there should be by default) and click the Remove button on the lower left.

>>Ok, please try following the instructions in the first post here and see if that fixes it. If not, let me know,

Tired the above again....Still no context menus.

>>Has this box been scanned for Malware and declared clean?

Just ran a scan and 0 infections.

I am now trying Dail a Fix

.....be right back

• Root Admin

I mean more of a scan than just MBAM. Like a Kasperksy or Dr Web and similar, and maybe a Combofix if warranted in the past ?

Please remove MBAM using the removal tool previously posted by Exile. Then try the following if your system meets the requirements.

This is an OLDER 1.34 version so if it does work then you'll need to upgrade by using the real 1.36 installer.

NOTES:

1. This is NOT for use by everyone and should ONLY be used by users that appear to have a CLEAN system but are still having issues installing MBAM.
  2. It should only be run on English Windows XP 32 Bit.
  3. If it does work and you can now scan with the program you should update and do a scan, then remove it and do an install with the normal PUBLISHED program from Malwarebytes.
  4. A copy of the Official 1.34 setup program should be included in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware folder named: mbam-setup.exe

Please download and run this alternative installer making sure you close all other applications as it will restart the computer when it's finished.

Download here:
fixmbam.exe

Let me know how it works out please.

OK...

I followed your directions using fixmbam.exe and everything worked perfectly and now my context menu has a Malwarebytes entry.

It looks like it is fixed!

Is there anything else you would like me to do. Would you like me to forward the aclreset.txt file?

Thank you for all your help,

Rob

Thank goodness, and thanks AdvancedSetup :o ! You don't need to post that file, all you need to do now is update the program by downloading the newest version from one of the following locations:

Download.com

MajorGeeks

SecurityWonks

GT500.org

Just install the newer version over the one you already have installed, then run the program and have it check for updates then run a quick scan to make sure everything is working as it should. Once that's all done, check to see that the context menu scan is still there.

Good luck :) !

Yes, I verified that everything is scanning OK with 0 infections and the context menu is there and works.

There was one more thing that I needed to do ....

register my copy of Malwarebytes ! Done a few minutes ago!

Thank you again for all you help,

Rob

Awesome :) ! I'm guessing that something in AdvancedSetup's manual installer did the trick. It probably manually added the reg entries for the context menu dll and that fixed it (my guess). Before he posted it I was getting desperate and I was about to have you create a .reg file with the reg entries that should be there and have you run it, but I'm glad I didn't have to as any errors in the reg file could do more harm than good :o .

• 3 weeks later...
As long as the reg entries and files are in tact, it should show up on any 32 bit operating system, however it will not show up in 64 bit operating systems (Vista or XP).

Hio Exile,

Do you know if MBAM is considering to make their software 64-Bit capable anytime soon!?!?

Thanks,

G!:angry:

• 6 months later...

I just noticed that MBAM is not showing up on right clicking in Context menu on a file on my Windows 7 64-bit system and I am running MBAM 1.41

I tried regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x64)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll" and it worked.

• Root Admin

This is a known issue Kenny. Microsoft changed the way the x64 shell operates like that. Basically the registry is redirected and if you don't have an entry in the actual true x64 directory then it will not work. There are some coding workarounds and we are looking at correcting it. I'm not sure that it will be fixed in the upcoming 1.42 version but maybe in the 1.43