I tried to run a Scan using mbar BETA 1.06.0.1003, on Win8 x64 but received the "Could not load DDA driver" message.(Pic Below) It says that the "DDA driver was not installed which may be caused by rootkit activity." Then it asks(Yes/No) if I want to reboot to install the DDA driver, and says scan will continue after reboot.

post-141156-0-40257100-1370663428.jpg

I don't believe there are any rootkits installed on this laptop. There is no way I'd install this DDA driver, until I find out what it is and why it's needed? Is the DDA driver supposed to be installed by default when I installed Win8?

Thanks in advance,

Don

Where is the "Edit Post" button located?

Hi:

Welcome.

Don't sweat the size of the pic (it happens all the time to me, as I'm on a 24" monitor).

You'll be able to edit posts when you achieve the 50-post minimum for Honorary Member status (this policy was necessary because folks getting help with malware removal would edit posts in the middle of malware cleanup, which created problems).

I'm afraid we'll need to wait for an MBAM staffer to address your specific MBAR issue.

Thanks for your patience and understanding!

daledoc1

DDA stands for Direct Disk Access, and is required for rootkit scanning. Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs this driver installed in order to be able to detect and remove most rootkits and is needed for it to function properly on any operating system, including Windows 8. It's possible that another process is blocking it from doing so, such as your antivirus or third party firewall if you use one.

Additionally, once the driver has done its work, it gets removed by Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, so it doesn't stay loaded on your system permanently (much the same as the DDA driver used in the scanner of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware).

Additionally, once the driver has done its work, it gets removed by Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, so it doesn't stay loaded on your system permanently (much the same as the DDA driver used in the scanner of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware).

I only use the Windows Firewall and Defender, so I don't think it was being blocked. When the DDA driver has done it's work, does it get deleted or just unloaded?

• 2 months later...

Well that all sounds very strange, no drivers so you can not run the program because they were deleted by the program. So why would a program kill itself ? Only highly intelligent animals kill themselves, not stupid computers. 

I tried to run a Scan using mbar BETA 1.06.0.1003, on Win8 x64 but received the "Could not load DDA driver" message.(Pic Below) It says that the "DDA driver was not installed which may be caused by rootkit activity." Then it asks(Yes/No) if I want to reboot to install the DDA driver, and says scan will continue after reboot.

attachicon.gifDDAdriverERROR.jpg

I don't believe there are any rootkits installed on this laptop. There is no way I'd install this DDA driver, until I find out what it is and why it's needed? Is the DDA driver supposed to be installed by default when I installed Win8?

Thanks in advance,

Don

It doesn't matter what the DDA drivers are, the problem is you cannot scan with Root Kit scanner. If you get this message go to the desktop where the file (mbar) was placed, open the mbar file next find the plugin tab, open it and you will see a program called (FixDamage.Exe) run it, and follow the prompts. If that doesn't allow you to run the Anti Root Kit, which would be odd, Down load and run Chameleon this will also repair damage, then if needed run (fixdamage.exe) again. That should do it, you will get back to normal again after the Anti Root Kit program completes its sometimes very lengthy scan. Nothing else comes close to the strength of these programs.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,  Im  experienceing this very same issue right now with two of my computers.  The can't load DDS drivers  and  can't scan due to encrypted files.  ( what ever those are)

I read the previous postings  but I do not see any  mbar icon   that  I can click on and choose a tab to choose fix damage.  All i see on my desktop is  a jack hammer  image and  right clicking  does nothing. If i  left click on it it opens up  and want s start updating.  but I ve done this 3 times today with the same results...no scan is started. ????

I turned off the virus protection on both computers and again attempted to have root kill  scan but it will not!

Both my computers are using  windows XP Pro  ver. 2002  with service pack 3

WHat is happening that  malwarebytes anti root kill will not scan?   I was expecting this program to easily work for me.

Help!!!

Well that all sounds very strange, no drivers so you can not run the program because they were deleted by the program. So why would a program kill itself ? Only highly intelligent animals kill themselves, not stupid computers. 

This is how most clean up tools work. They install the driver when run then remove it after it's finished. Once finished there is no reason for the driver to exist as it performed it's job.

Is the DDA driver supposed to be installed by default when I installed Win8?

3rd party software/hardware drivers are not installed by default with Windows unless it was by the manufacture. This driver is completely unrelated to how Windows functions.

It doesn't matter what the DDA drivers are, the problem is you cannot scan with Root Kit scanner. If you get this message go to the desktop where the file (mbar) was placed, open the mbar file next find the plugin tab, open it and you will see a program called (FixDamage.Exe) run it, and follow the prompts. If that doesn't allow you to run the Anti Root Kit, which would be odd, Down load and run Chameleon this will also repair damage, then if needed run (fixdamage.exe) again. That should do it, you will get back to normal again after the Anti Root Kit program completes its sometimes very lengthy scan. Nothing else comes close to the strength of these programs.

Word of advice, offering malware help is against the Malwarebytes' forum policy from members not in the Trusted Advisers or Experts group. It's best to let staff or approved members help with Chamelon in cases where it's needed and in the appropriate sub forum.

@Flywelder

MBAR should only be run if you believe you are infected. In that case please see the topic Available Assitance with Possibly Infected Computers for help options.

Hello,  Im  experienceing this very same issue right now with two of my computers.  The can't load DDS drivers  and  can't scan due to encrypted files.  ( what ever those are)

I read the previous postings  but I do not see any  mbar icon   that  I can click on and choose a tab to choose fix damage.  All i see on my desktop is  a jack hammer  image and  right clicking  does nothing. If i  left click on it it opens up  and want s start updating.  but I ve done this 3 times today with the same results...no scan is started. ????

I turned off the virus protection on both computers and again attempted to have root kill  scan but it will not!

Both my computers are using  windows XP Pro  ver. 2002  with service pack 3

WHat is happening that  malwarebytes anti root kill will not scan?   I was expecting this program to easily work for me.

Help!!!

The question here lies with why are you trying to run MBAR tool? Do you suspect that you are infected?

If you think your infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you