Adobe Cloud ONLY! - Not going over well

AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin
  • Root Admin

I've used Adobe now for over 10 years myself and have paid thousands of dollars for both personal use and business use but if they stick to their guns on this then they've lost a customer in me. If I'm forced to on the business side I may have to go that route but not without being forced to due to our own customer demands. If our own customer demands don't mandate it then we won't move onto that model for business either.

• Root Admin

Well it still downloads and installs all local and you can be off line for a while depending on which service you sign up for but the monthly cost that never ends is what I'm not a fan of.

Currently if I decide I never want to update again I can use CS6 10 years from now - assuming their license server remains running. With the Cloud service as soon as your subscription ends the software stops working.

I have been using Adobe Acrobat Professional since the mid '90s. There is no real replacement for it. Additionally included in Acrobat Professional is Adobe LifeCycle Designer. This is a powerful program for creating editable PDF forms and there is no real replacement for it either. Examples of such forms are those provided by the IRS so you can fill in the fields and save data in the form and save it as well. [ I have found that MANY use Adobe LifeCycle Designer to create editable forms but fail to "extend rights to Adobe Reader" so that users of Adobe Reader can save data with the form ].

Additionally included in Acrobat Professional is Adobe LifeCycle Designer....

Is this LifeCycle Designer part of Acrobat Pro that you use while using Acrobat or do you launch it separate? I can not seem to find it on my computer.....

I was looking for a file called LifeCycle

Yeah, its what they call the program.

Adobe LifeCycle Designer

Getting back to forms. Once you create a form and have a PDF file, you then load said PDF into Adobe Acrobat and then "Extend rights to Adobe Reader". They changed how to do it in the Acrobat 10 GUI so here is an article that gives one the steps.

Extending rights to Adobe Reader in Acrobat X

This is where most users make the mistake after they create a form. They fail to extend rights to Adobe Reader so all the user's of PDF Readers can do is fill-in the form and print. They can't save the data within the PDF file leaving only users of Adobe Acrobat to be able to save data with the form. This includes using PKI and digitally signing a form with one's Smart Card. I can't tell you how many times I have come across this. A simple one minute change to the PDF makes a world of difference to numerous users who ONLY have a PDF Reader.

Thanks for the info David, I usually create my fillable forms from inside Acrobat. I will have to check this designer out....

We scan forms and then I edit the PDF file using acrobat and create fields that can be filled out and save the form. I wonder if Acrobat uses the designer for this feature in the background....