Should I do the eset online scan or not?

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=123684&st=20

See that thread for more background on the issue. The last post is most enlightening.

I am uncomfortable with turning off my AV while online to use that ESET online scanner. Seems kinda bizarre to be forced to do that WHILE online.

Seeing as how he will no longer help me I thought I'd try to get some help elsewhere.

So, are my worries about the online scanner unfounded?

Is there another way to do this? I've done all the other scans and crap he wanted me to, but that one scan just seems counter-intuitive to me.

Maurice Naggar is one of the best in the HJT section and I am afraid to say, that if you refused to take his help there, there is little to no chance someone will help you here either.

The helpers that are in that section of the forum are trained experts at what they do and they will not steer you wrong. It is of course your choice to do as they recommend, but refusal to take the advice will only cause your topic to get closed. Any site you go to for help with malware removal will do the same if you refuse to take the advice and run the tools they need to get your computer fixed.

Maurice Naggar is one of the best in the HJT section and I am afraid to say, that if you refused to take his help there, there is little to no chance someone will help you here either.

The helpers that are in that section of the forum are trained experts at what they do and they will not steer you wrong. It is of course your choice to do as they recommend, but refusal to take the advice will only cause your topic to get closed. Any site you go to for help with malware removal will do the same if you refuse to take the advice and run the tools they need to get your computer fixed.

It seems to me thought that they should not have tools that require you to make your computer vulnerable to use.

Most of the tools they have you run are to gather logs which make not changes to your computer. Once they know what needs to be removed, they will have your run tools that will do that, but they will give you specific instructions on how to do that and they will have you make backups in case something goes wrong.

This is why its very important to follow their instructions word for word and why you need to be willing to take their advice. Trust me the experts in the HJT section are well trained and know what they are doing. The admins and mods on this site watch that section to make sure there is NO ONE that is not trained giving advice that will damage your computer.

It seems to me thought that they should not have tools that require you to make your computer vulnerable to use.

You must understand that the tools that are used are often hindered by security software as by design they block actions they think could be malicious. Disabling security software is a must to ensure that no conflicts or freezing can occur during removal or scanning by another antivirus or security tool which can and have caused issues in the past. So this is generally recommend. Removing malware is not a simple task and there are plenty of other things that can go wrong so this is just a minor thing compared to everything else that could happen.

Still, to turn of the AV WHILE connected to the internet seems insane at best.

I did the scan. I did not turn off my AV to do it. I still can't get myself to do that.

The scan finished.

Below is the only log I found.

I have attached an image of the results.

ESETSmartInstaller@High as CAB hook log:

OnlineScanner64.ocx - registred OK

OnlineScanner.ocx - registred OK

post-114847-0-61860500-1363647943.png

You don't have to follow the directions just don't expect any help. We asked you a few times to turn off your antivirus. If you do not than the results may not be accurate. We cannot help you if you aren't willing to follow the advice given as stated several times.

You don't have to follow the directions just don't expect any help. We asked you a few times to turn off your antivirus. If you do not than the results may not be accurate. We cannot help you if you aren't willing to follow the advice given as stated several times.

That scanner is downloadable, why do I have to be online to use it at all? Can I just disconnect from the net and turn off my AV and run it that way?

Because that is how it functions.

That is an insane way to design a program. I just tried to do what I said above, start it, update it, then disconnect, turn off my AV and run it, but it wouldn't allow that. It only has a stop button and that button stops it from scanning entirely so that you have to start the whole stupid thing over again.