"Not-Responding" Using MB on My Lapto

Please bear with me as I explain my issue, as I am not very computer savy. I will do my best to provide a little history and the problem:

1) Laptop: Toshiba Model A665-S5170

Windows 7 Home Premium

Processor: Intel ® Core i3 CPU M380@2.53 GHZ

RAM: 4.00GB (3.80 GB Usable)

System: 64-Bit Operating System

Security: Norton Internet Securities

2) I generally use my laptop for shopping online, google searches and email. I was horrified to learn that someone recently hacked into my yahoo email account and was sending out links to everyone in my address book.

3) I changed the password for my email account and scanned for viruses. Per advice of others, I ran a free version of Malwarebytes, but it repeatedly froze my computer and programs were "not responding."

4) When I removed Malwarebytes, the computer ran without problems.

5) Hopeful that Malwarebytes Pro might work better than the free vesrion, I bought it and just installed it today. Ran a full scan and no malware was found.

6) Afterwards, I tried accessing different websites and programs, but everything starting freezing up again. All programs are "not responding." The only way I can get out of the freeze is by shutting down with the power button. Now, the only way I can access any information is by opening in safe mode.

This is very frustrating and don't know what to do. I have seen similar threads, but much of your advice to others is Greek to me. I also bought MB for my desktop (also uses Norton Internet Securities) and am not experiencing any freezing problems.

Any advice you could give would be appreciated. Remember, I don't know a lot about computers, so any instruction you give will need to be basic or well explained. At this point, I am feeling mad, scared and frustrated all at the same time. Is this a common problem? Or is this something I should consider taking to a computer shop to have analyzed?

Hello and :welcome:

It is quite possible that your Norton Internet Security is conflicting with Malwarebytes. You could try putting the exceptions for both and see if that improves the performance as stated in our FAQ. I am not sure what version of Norton you are using but here is an example you can follow....

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (not sure what version of you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Or is this something I should consider taking to a computer shop to have analyzed?

Please do not bother to take the computer to a workshop (they charge you), we will fix it Free - :)

Now can you post back after the ideas from Firefox, and are you still having problems.

We will guide you through this step by step and have you up and running quickly - Norton causes problems with many programs -

Thank You -

HELP!!!

As Firefox suggested, I excluded the mbam files from Norton's Internet Security.To be specific, I went to

Settings>Antivirus and Sonar Exclusions>Items to exclude from auto-protect, SONAR and download intelligence detection. I then clicked on "configure" and added the four files that Firefox listed above.

At first, I thought I fixed it, because the computer was running smoothly. But after a break and coming back, I found that it was freezing worse than ever. I literally could not get through a restart as it would freeze loading the desktop. I had to start in safe mode and then go back and start in normal mode just to get my desktop to load. Had to do this several times as any program I opened would freeze.

Eventually, I was able to go back into Norton and went to:

Settings>Items to exclude from scans>configure and then added the four mbam files there as well. That did not seem to work as the computer still froze. Was it okay to do this??

I tried to exclude the MBAM files from the firewall, but I did not see anywhere to do that. Is it even possible/necessary in NIS?

I just restarted my laptop and am running an antivirus scan now. Although early into the scan, it has already detected an unusually high amout of threats (14). Thank God for this old desktop that I have. It is my lifeline at the moment. Any other suggestions you have would be extremely helpful. I would even be willing to dump NIS for something that works as well (or better) as long as it is compatable with Malwarebytes.

Extremely frustrated.

• Root Admin

If you think you are infected, here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum

so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems or infections you may have.
  • Please read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete.
  • After posting your new post, make sure under options, you select Follow this topic and choose Instantly,
    so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE: Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.

• If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.
      Or
    • You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk
here

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our
Malwarebytes Premium Consumer Services
partner, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.