MBAM Update to 1.34 ... a few issues arising

Hi Guys

Following up from an ongoing support session with TeMerc (Ticket: 2575) related to the "freezing"/"MBAM running slowly" ... I was pleased to see the new release which was to address, in part, the reported freezing issue ... but I noticed another potential issue (perhaps minor).

So here's the background and issues:

This morning when I updated it loaded up MBAM Version 1.34 & Database 1751 and new definitions ... scan still stalled/slowed in the usual place (ie C:\windows\installer) and specifically for some time here:
C:\windows\installer\wix{A3051CD0-2F64-3813-A88D-B8DCCDE8F8C7}.SchedServiceConfig.rmi
Anyway Quick Scan completed in about ~18 minutes (log header):
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.34
Database version: 1751
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3
12/02/2009 10:12:12 AM
mbam-log-2009-02-12 (10-12-12).txt
Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 73718
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 6 second(s)
Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0
Anyway I shut down while I was away from computer and when I restarted MBAM (as shown on the screen) was back to Version 1.33 !?!?
So I updated again but it indicated MBAM was up to date, still showing 1.33. Anyway I uninstalled MBAM used CCleaner to clean registries ... restarted PC. Downloaded mbam-setup.exe using link at the MBAM website which was via download.com ... anyway it showed as version 1.34 in the notes and file descriptor. However after installing it is now showing itself as MBAM Version 1.33 & Database 1752. Puzzling ... perhaps its just the graphics on the MBAM panel? The log txt file shows Version 1.34 Version & Database 1752. Here is latest log:
Database version: 1752
12/02/2009 1:43:12 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-12 (13-43-12).txt
Objects scanned: 73951
Time elapsed: 16 minute(s), 29 second(s)
I expect this may be just a minor glitch confined to the MBAM panel and readily fixed.
Alas I still show the symptoms of the initial freezing problem.

You will have noted the logs show MABM Ver 1.34 it just the graphic interface that is showing 1.33 (although when first loaded it did show 1.34 ... I shut down the PC in the interim when I wasn't using it and on restart it was showing 1.33) .

TeMerc suggested: "Lets try this, uninstall, reboot and before you begin reinstall, turn off all security software just in case something is blocking an install of some crucial file. We've had this happen before."

So I did that and here's the outcomes:

I followed TeMerc's suggestions (adding a CCleaner registry clean after uninstalling and disabling both Norton 360 and Ad-Aware during installation AND update, BUT Norton 360 reactivated prior to quick scan ... could this be an issue?) and here's the outcomes. Graphical interface still shows Version 1.33, whereas logs show 1.34 (as follows):
Database version: 1752
12/02/2009 4:57:01 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-12 (16-57-01).txt
Objects scanned: 74157
Time elapsed: 19 minute(s), 17 second(s)

I should add that the Quick scan prior to the "freezing" issue was taking ~2 minutes on my PC ... so I've still got a "freezing" (or very slow scan) problem.

I have attached a number of screenshots which MAY assist you in some way, as follows:

MBAM_133 on Interface.JPG = the graphical interface after installation & update of Version 1.34

MBAMStuck.JPG = MBAM interface when it got stalled/froze.

WTMStuck.JPG = processes shown as running in Windows Task Manager when MBAM "stalled/froze" ... the various values of memory & I/O in the columns for MBAM remained fixed whereas under the graphs under the preformance tab and listening to the sounds from the PC indicated something was going on.

WTMafterMBAMScan.JPG = shows Windows Task Manager after MBAM Quick scan was completed.

I cannot now recall whether the earlier iteration of the freezing problem (as reported back in late January) caused the whole PC to lock up, however I was able now to navigate multiple windows and even internet while MBAM was "stuck".

Again not sure if this helps.

By the way ... are any processes running on my PC showing on Windows Task Manager that may be (a) suspect or (:P causing compatibility issues for MBAM? I've also attached a HijackThis log (yes, I know it should be placed in a separate forum folder but I thought I'd keep all the information together) that may assist in identifying if there are any incompatabilities or suspect files ... so please don't chastise me!

Hope this helps and not hinders.

Regards

Perth2008

What version number does it say on the 'About' tab?

G'day GT500

The version showing in the "About" tab is indeed 1.34.

I updated again this morning to Database 1756 (68571 fingerprints) but the "Update" tab is still showing "(1/14/09) Version 1.33 released."

Here is the log (summary excerpt) from my latest Quick scan:

Database version: 1756
13/02/2009 8:59:09 AM
mbam-log-2009-02-13 (08-59-09).txt
Objects scanned: 74996
Time elapsed: 17 minute(s), 45 second(s)

As noted these "Quick scans" used to take ~2-3 minutes before the "freezing" issue arose.

Cheers

Hi GT500

Not sure if I'll catch you online now as I've been out 'n about today.

Well, now it is showing: "(2/11/09) Version 1.34 released" under the Update also Database Version 1757 & 68723 fingerprints. Also 1.34 uner the "About" tab ... so maybe all is good.

Not sure whether that was due simply to the update or my running ComboFix on the PC (see forum topic here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...howtopic=11219) per AdvancedSetup's instructions earlier in the day and then shutdown after submitting logs, before going out for the day.

Here is the most recent QUICK scan log.

Database version: 1757
13/02/2009 4:54:34 PM
mbam-log-2009-02-13 (16-54-34).txt
Objects scanned: 74999
Time elapsed: 18 minute(s), 48 second(s)
Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Memory Modules Infected:
Registry Keys Infected:
Registry Values Infected:
Registry Data Items Infected:
Folders Infected:
Files Infected:

I've been working on the freezing/slow scanning issue with "TeMerc" (via Support Ticket #2575 for a couple of weeks now) and I can report that this time MBAM 1.34 stalled on the following files:

C:\windows\installer\wix{A3051CD0-2F64-3813-A88D-B8DCCDE8F8C7}.SchedServiceConfig.rmi, which sows as a MIDI file of 0 bytes (at 39 seconds) and then at

C:\windows\installer\1b789a.msp (at 5min 2 sec ... before finally restarting at about 18 minutes ... to finish as per log above).

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Hi GT500

I've just noticed this new post on the ongoing/widespread MBAM freezing issue from Cobra1234 (here: http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...0&start=40) ... perhaps he's found the answer ... I too have Norton 360 2.0 and never had any freezing problems with MBAM versions prior to 1.33 in late January. So either it was something introduced in MBAM 1.33 or by Norton in one of its updates ... so it would seem to be a software conflict.

So having read Cobra1234's post and temporarily Disabling (not Uninstalling) Norton 360's "Auto-Protect" (by right-clicking on the N360 taskbar icon) I now get a sub 1 minute Quick MBAM Scan as opposed to the ~18 minute "Quick" ones that stalled in the C:\windows\installer directory that I have been experiencing for about 2 weeks.

Big drama ... and perhaps a simple solution.

In case anyone is still wondering about this, it must be an issue related to a file called news.txt located here:

XP

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Vista

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

If you open the file with a text editor like notepad you can see what it says, it's the message shown when Malwarebytes' is opened to the Update tab at the bottom. Here's what mine currently says:

(2/11/09) Version 1.34 released.