Windows 7 Shuts Down

I am using a new dell desk top running windows 7. I am running Malwarebytes data base version 8014. When I run a full system scan it runs for a while and then causes the computer to shut down unexpectely. Any ideas what I can do to figure this out and stop it from occurring?

Please provide following details, so that someone may be able to assist you:

• What is your current version of windows (XP, Vista, or Win7)?
  • Is your windows OS 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • What is your OS Service Pack?
  • What version (if any) of MBAM are you running (current is 1.51.2.1300) and is it the Free or Pro version?
  • What MBAM database version do you have now (current is 8016)?
  • What brand and version of antivirus software do you have?
  • What firewall software do you use if any?
  • Has your computer been infected recently, or is it currently showing any other abnormal behavior (browser redirects, IP blocks, etc.) to suggest an infection?

Hi,

Am having the same problem here too...my PC crashes during mid-scan - this only happens when i scan with MB. I'm running Win 7 32bit SP 1 and i update MB each time before scanning..

The AVs i'm running are VIPRE and the one included in Microsoft Security Essentials - is either of these known to conflict in that way with Malwarebytes? for firewall i just use windows firewall.

Thanks in advance...

Hi,

Am having the same problem here too...my PC crashes during mid-scan - this only happens when i scan with MB. I'm running Win 7 32bit SP 1 and i update MB each time before scanning..

The AVs i'm running are VIPRE and the one included in Microsoft Security Essentials - is either of these known to conflict in that way with Malwarebytes? for firewall i just use windows firewall.

Thanks in advance...

First off this could be caused because you are running two antivirus programs. It is not a good idea to have two antivirus programs running at the same time. If you have a paid subscription to Viper, uninstall Microsoft Security Essentials. Once you have only one antivirus program, make sure you have exceptions in your antivirus program for Malwarebytes as listed in THIS FAQ and then run a full scan again and let us know how it goes.

OK here's the details you requested:

Window 7 Premium Home Addition Service pack 1

Dell Inspiron 580 64 bit operating system

Norton 360 product version 5.1.0.29 both antivirus and fire wall

Malwarebytes (pro) 1.51.2.1300 Data Base version 8021

I've had no problems with the computer that would cause me to think there is any type of virus or infection.

Thanks for getting back to me -- looking forward to your response...

• Root Admin

Please run the following scanner and post back the logs so that we can get a better look of what's going on with your PC

Download
DDS
and save it to your desktop

Disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click
dds.scr
to run the tool.

When done, the
DDS.txt
will open.

Click Yes at the next prompt for Optional Scan.

When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:

1. DDS.txt

2. Attach.txt

• Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply:
    DDS.txt
    and
    Attach.txt

I ran the scanner as you instructed and attached the files. Just some more information: I ran the MBAM Full scan in safe mode and it ran OK but it did not save the scan log to the log. I also followed the instructions posted by another person to set exceptions for MBAM in my Norton account. I ran the full scan again without it crashing but it did not save the log either. In both cases I saw the log and it said no malicious items found. I have my computer set to auto run the scan overnight. Everymorning the event log reads a critical error "Unexpected shut dow." This morning it was the same.

I hope this additional information is helpful. Thanks again for your time -- this has been frustrating me for a while!

Attach.txt

DDS.txt

@ MAC69 thanks for your reply and logs, stick with AdvancedSetup and he will sort it out for you....

@ AdvancedSetup thanks for stepping in....

Forgot that i also had Antivir free along with the other two AVs, on my machine the last time i scanned and had trouble with MB....i have since uninstalled Antivir (for another reason). i did a full scan with MB and no problems.

@ SomeOne765, I am assuming that your issue is now sorted, if not, please start your own topic so the helpers and the person being helped does not get confusing. :)

• Root Admin

Well as you can see from your Event Logs you have some issues going on possibly not related at all with MBAM.

I would at least try fully removing MBAM using this tool. Then restart your computer a couple of more times and check your Event Logs and see if those errors have cleared up or if they continue.

10/25/2011 12:19:29 AM, Error: volsnap [36] - The shadow copies of volume C: were aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed limit.

10/24/2011 9:59:57 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service EventSystem with arguments "" in order to run the server: {1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

10/24/2011 9:59:51 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service ShellHWDetection with arguments "" in order to run the server: {DD522ACC-F821-461A-A407-50B198B896DC}

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7026] - The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: AFD BHDrvx64 DfsC discache eeCtrl IDSVia64 NetBIOS NetBT nsiproxy Psched rdbss spldr SRTSPX SymIRON SymNetS tdx Wanarpv6 WfpLwf

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Workstation service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service depends on the Redirected Buffering Sub Sysytem service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The SMB 2.0 MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The SMB 1.x MiniRedirector service depends on the SMB MiniRedirector Wrapper and Engine service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Network Store Interface Service service depends on the NSI proxy service driver. service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Network Location Awareness service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Network Connections service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The IP Helper service depends on the Network Store Interface Service service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The DNS Client service depends on the NetIO Legacy TDI Support Driver service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

10/24/2011 9:59:38 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The DHCP Client service depends on the Ancillary Function Driver for Winsock service which failed to start because of the following error: A device attached to the system is not functioning.

10/24/2011 6:06:13 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7030] - The PEVSystemStart service is marked as an interactive service. However, the system is configured to not allow interactive services. This service may not function properly.

10/24/2011 5:48:21 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The hpqcxs08 service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

10/24/2011 5:48:21 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The HP CUE DeviceDiscovery Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

10/24/2011 5:48:21 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7031] - The Akamai NetSession Interface service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1000 milliseconds: Restart the service.

10/24/2011 5:41:14 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7034] - The Process Monitor service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 1 time(s).

10/24/2011 5:35:19 PM, Error: Application Popup [1060] - \??\C:\ComboFix\catchme.sys has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.

10/24/2011 10:00:02 PM, Error: Service Control Manager [7001] - The Network List Service service depends on the Network Location Awareness service which failed to start because of the following error: The dependency service or group failed to start.

10/24/2011 10:00:01 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {9E175B6D-F52A-11D8-B9A5-505054503030}

10/24/2011 10:00:01 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1084" attempting to start the service WSearch with arguments "" in order to run the server: {7D096C5F-AC08-4F1F-BEB7-5C22C517CE39}

10/24/2011 10:00:01 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netprofm with arguments "" in order to run the server: {A47979D2-C419-11D9-A5B4-001185AD2B89}

10/24/2011 10:00:01 PM, Error: Microsoft-Windows-DistributedCOM [10005] - DCOM got error "1068" attempting to start the service netman with arguments "" in order to run the server: {BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}

• Root Admin

I don't think this is a Dell issue at all unless you're contacting them for some other reason or some hardware failure.

These events could be caused by a software/driver conflict or from Malware. Removing our product would help to remove any potential conflict between our driver and your Anti-Virus to rule that out.

Are you having issue that appear to be malware related with the computer?

I don't think this is a Dell issue at all unless you're contacting them for some other reason or some hardware failure.

These events could be caused by a software/driver conflict or from Malware. Removing our product would help to remove any potential conflict between our driver and your Anti-Virus to rule that out.

Are you having issue that appear to be malware related with the computer?

I'll try as you suggest using the tool you provided and let you know the results. Thanks.

I'll try as you suggest using the tool you provided and let you know the results. Thanks.

I Romved MBAM, ran a few scans (Norton, and COMBOFIX) restarted my comouter a few times, and then reinstalled MBAM, updated and ran a full scan. Everything ran fine; however, seeing all the errors identifed with the DSS Scan has made me nervous. Can you suggest what next steps I should take?

• Root Admin

You should not run Combofix unless requested to. There has been more than one occasion where it has accidentally deleted all files on the computer and then you'd really be in a jam.

Please find the combofix log in the root of C: and post that back here.

Then run a NEW DDS scan and post back that log as well.

You should not run Combofix unless requested to. There has been more than one occasion where it has accidentally deleted all files on the computer and then you'd really be in a jam.

Got it. Here are the files....

Attach.txt

DDS.txt

ComboFix.txt

I appreciate the help so far. Do you have any advice on the logs I posted or can you steer me in another direction?

thanks!

• Root Admin

The combofix log would certainly indicate some issue which even prevented it from removing some files.

As was stated before there are issues with this box that could even be Malware but we don't Analyze to that level in this forum. You should first have someone try to assist you in making sure the box is not infected and then go on from there.

Here are the steps needed to get your computer cleaned....

Please read the following so that you can begin the cleaning process:

Don't use any temporary file cleaners unless requested - this can cause data loss and make recovery difficult

You have 3 Options that you can choose from as listed below:

• Option 1 —— Free Expert advice in the Malware Removal Forum
  • Option 2 —— Paying customer -- Contact Support via email
  • Option 3 —— Premium, Fee-Based Support

OPTION 1

As we don't deal with malware removal in the
General Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Forum
, you need to start a topic in the

Malware Removal forum

so a qualified helper can help you fix any malware related problems/infections you may have.

• Please read and follow the
    directions here
    , skipping any steps you are unable to complete.

• After posting your new post, make sure under
    options
    , you select
    Track this topic
    and choose
    Immediate Email Notification

so that you're alerted when someone has replied to your post.

NOTE:

Please do not post back to (bump) your topic within the first 48 hours.

Replying to your own posts changes the post count and helpers are looking for topics with zero replies.

If you reply to your own post helpers may think that you're already being helped and thus overlook your post.
    • If there is no reply from any experts after 48 hours, you can reply to the topic, asking for help again.

Or

• You may send a Private Message to a Moderator asking for assistance.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at
support@malwarebytes.org
or
here

OPTION 3

If you would like to use our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
, Comprehensive solutions to all your computer support needs—from installation and set-up to troubleshooting and tune-ups go to our
Malwarebytes Premium Services
support site.

Please be patient, someone will assist you as soon as possible.

PS: Please use the "Add Reply" Add-Reply.png button not the Reply button when you start replying.