Microsoft is ready to relegate Vista to the binary scrapheap

DaChew

I don't know, I've been using Vista since it was in beta and I love it. From what I've seen of 7 so far, it's basically Vista with a few minor changes/enhancements, but the basic code is the same. Compatibility of software and drivers is expected to be identical to Vista (which was the cause of most of the anti-Vista sentiment around the web).

I just wish I could afford Vista capable hardware.

I do remember the Edsel though and I could not afford one of those either so I guess I was fortunate.

I heard much the same from a few ms-mvp's when Windows ME hit, businesses are mostly taking a pass on Vista, it will be interesting to see what happens when 7 goes gold.

Even the beta is getting better reviews this time, except for the mp3 killer part

Time will tell, just like it did with ME

@Mad Dog Vee: Yup, they patched it.

@DaChew: But as far as I can tell, it's all based on the same code as Vista so I don't understand why it's being seen as such a big improvement. The biggest change I've seen is the new Taskbar which I don't like, but the majority, if not all, of the underlying code is identical (or at least it will be once SP2 for Vista is released).

@QuizMaster: Have a look at this MS knowlegebase article for the info: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=961367

or at least it will be once SP2 for Vista is released

exactly, you can't always patch a flawed OS with service packs, a clean install is best, at least that's my experience with XP, especially sp3

Most of my work with Vista has been very discouraging, it wasn't ready for prime time

exactly, you can't always patch a flawed OS with service packs, a clean install is best, at least that's my experience with XP, especially sp3

Most of my work with Vista has been very discouraging, it wasn't ready for prime time

Nope, it wasn't, they rushed it to meet their deadline and paid dearly for it. I've had great luck with it myself. Hopefully SP2 won't break anything (from what I've heard most of the patches included have already rolled out through Windows Update). My biggest issue with Vista was that at the time of it's release to OEM's the level of hardware wasn't quite adequate to run it decently. It was like having a bunch of PC's designed for Win 95 released to market loaded with XP. If they would have waited just 6 more months, most of the performance issues would have been non-existent. You have to remember, when Vista came out XP had been around in retail since 2002, that's a long time. Of course, I'm running Vista on hardware from 2005 (with the notable exception of my video card) and it runs great.