Vipre av vs free ones

Guest BlairWitch

I know a guy who used to be an IT admin and he hates Vipre. I've also heard a lot of good stuff about it.

The first thing to remember is that all anti-viruses have their little problems, and all anti-viruses will fail to detect different stuff. Nothing is perfect.

That being said, a couple of the best free anti-viruses are AntiVir and avast!. Both are good (as good as Vipre, if not better) and both have little things that you may not like (avast! will talk to you over your computer's speakers, and AntiVir will pop up an ad once a day when it updates). Other users can tell you more about each of those softwares, as I don't use either of them on my own computer. ;)

Hello. I am at the moment using vipre antivirus and i would like to hear some opinions about it and is there a free one that can compete with it? Thanks.

I've been using Vipre AV for over two years and removed it several days ago as I hate their newsletter and despise their customer support, and have only received false positives with it. I submitted a problem a year and a half ago, received confirmation, was told I'd get a reply from support and I'm still waiting. (Of course the problem's been gone for 14 months but I'm the kind of person that asks once on a problem and won't ask again.. It's my hardheaded German ancestry, 3rd generation Americanized - great-grandparents immigrated before WWII.)

As for the newsletter, they keep advertising Whitesmoke even after I wrote to "Debbie" the editor several times.. No response there either.

MBAM is a company that has support the way support is supposed to work and that's why I participate so heavily on these forums. But; as mentioned, MBAMPro by itself is a MALWARE program. It needs a 3rd party AV program to work in conjunction with. There are several free AV programs out there you can use.. If you want to pay, go for G-DATA, Emisoft, and several others. In my own humble, personal opinion, and not meant to be libelous by any means, I'd stay away from McAfee and Norton.

Steve..

That being said, a couple of the best free anti-viruses are AntiVir and avast!
I would agree. I have used both, but have found that, for me, Microsoft Security Essentials, complimented with MBAM, works best. I would recommend using any of the three as an antivirus program...AntiVir, avast or MSSE. I don't think you will go wrong with whichever you should choose.

I would agree. I have used both, but have found that, for me, Microsoft Security Essentials, complimented with MBAM, works best. I would recommend using any of the three as an antivirus program...AntiVir, avast or MSSE. I don't think you will go wrong with whichever you should choose.

Microsoft Security Essentials has often surprised me with its detection rate. The only real issue I have with it is the lack of drivers for essential operations such as Direct Disk Access (DDA) and Delete On Reboot (DOR), and so I have seen it fail to remove things that it can detect. I still like it, however, and I have a tendency to run it on my own personal computer in place of a normal AV.

Looking at this topic i'm the only one who likes Vipre.

The support is fast. The Product is amazing. I just got Vipre Premium Upgrade. Its a amazing product i never get false positives. For me MSE is a memory hog and takes forever to remove threats. Vipre is low weight on the system and is fast to find and remove malware.

Guest BlairWitch

Thanks for the comments. I have to think about this thing. My father is bringing hi's old computer to me today... You see hi's old computer is faster than my new computer... Anyways when i get it i will surely scan it for malware and viruses and submit all that i found. Hopefully i find something. :D

I do not have an opinion or any experience with VIPRE. I personally use Kaspersky and I have been for over a year now and I really like it.

I've had good luck installing MSE on the sytems of friends as well.

I know that's not what you were asking but I thought I'd throw my thoughts into this thread :)

• 1 month later...

Regardless of opinion regarding the quality of Vipre (by Sunbelt Software, now GFI), is it compatible running along with MBAM? From the Vipre side, they've always maintained to never have any actively monitoring "anti-virus" software running along with Vipre. It's much a matter of semantics that MBAM isn't a "anti-virus" utility per se, but I'm just asking for concrete info on if the two running together are a viable configuration.

Found my answer, it was later in the results of my search for "Vipre" . . .

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=93321&st=0&p=468332&hl=vipre&fromsearch=1entry468332

Regardless of opinion regarding the quality of Vipre (by Sunbelt Software, now GFI), is it compatible running along with MBAM? From the Vipre side, they've always maintained to never have any actively monitoring "anti-virus" software running along with Vipre. It's much a matter of semantics that MBAM isn't a "anti-virus" utility per se, but I'm just asking for concrete info on if the two running together are a viable configuration.