High CPU usage

Klouri

I have a relatively new laptop, a Dell Inspiron. Lately I have been getting Norton's messages that I have High CPU usage whenever I am online. I have and run Malwarebytes regularly and am (as much as possible) careful of the websites I visit.

Could this mean I have a virus of some sort? How can I eliminate these messages? I've looked in the tast manager window and the only program that seems to be using the most is the "System Idle Process." Now, there are other programs that seem to use a lot of MEMORY, but my understanding is that the two are not the same. Carbonite and iexplorer also seem to run somewhat high, iexplorer the highest, but they are not new to my pc and this message just started appearing about a month ago. I didn't think much of it until I saw it several times in one day and then googled it.

Does anyone have experience with this? Thank you in advance for any help you can give.

Hello, I will guess from you having IE8 you also have Win7. If you want to look at what is using the most CPU, open Resource Monitor.

You can try to leave this open as you use the machine to see when it spikes, and see what is making it spike.

Your understanding of Memory and CPU usage is correct, they are not the same.

Now if you are worried about having a virus, run Malwarebytes in "safe mode" with a full scan. It will take a while, just let it run.

You can also use SuperAntiSpyware, again in safe mode and a full scan.

Download the free version here: http://www.superantispyware.com/

Post back the results from the scans or if you have any other questions at all,

I will help you the best I can.

• Root Admin

Yes this is sometimes seen by Norton Internet Security as it sees MBAM working. Please try the following and see if it helps prevent it. It probably will not go away completely but it should be reduced.

I've even seen it report Firefox doing this when I have a lot of windows open.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes
  • Click Apply then click OK

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton Internet Security 2011:

1. Open Norton Internet Security and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Computer Settings
  3. Click Configure [+] to the right of Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR
  4. Click Add
  5. Make sure that Include subfolders is checked in the small Add Item window
  6. Click the small folder icon to the right of the blank white space
  7. In the Browse for Folder window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files
  8. Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to highlight it and click on OK
  9. Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  10. Repeat steps 4-9 for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Note: On Vista and 7 this will be C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

[*]Once you have all of those items in your list, click on Apply then click on OK to close that window and then click Apply and OK to close the Settings window

[*]Close the Norton Internet Security window

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Norton Internet Security 2011 on 64 bit Windows Versions:

1. Open Norton Internet Security and click on Settings at the top
  2. Click on Computer Settings
  3. Click Configure [+] to the right of Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR
  4. Click Add
  5. Make sure that Include subfolders is checked in the small Add Item window
  6. Click the small folder icon to the right of the blank white space
  7. In the Browse for Folder window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)
  8. Click once on Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to highlight it and click on OK
  9. Click OK and verify that in the box under The following items are ignored by both Auto-Protect and SONAR: it says C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  10. Repeat steps 4-9 for the following files and folders:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes Note: On Vista and 7 this will be C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes
    • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
    • C:\Windows\SysWOW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

[*]Once you have all of those items in your list, click on Apply then click on OK to close that window and then click Apply and OK to close the Settings window

[*]Close the Norton Internet Security window

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

• Click Start and select My Computer
  • Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Reset Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start vista-7-start.png button and select Computer
  • Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools
  • Select Folder Options
  • Click the View tab and make sure that Do not show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders
  • Next, check the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)
  • Then, check the box next to Hide extensions for known filetypes

Set Exclusions for Norton Internet Security in Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

• Open Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on the Ignore List tab
  • Click the Add button on the lower left
  • In the small browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files and click once on Norton Internet Security and click OK
  • Close Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

• Root Admin

Now if you are worried about having a virus, run Malwarebytes in "safe mode" with a full scan. It will take a while, just let it run.

Please do not run MBAM in Safe Mode unless you're having an issue with it not running in Normal Mode. In Safe Mode our drivers are not running and should only be used in extreme cases.

@ AdvancedSetup:

Thanks for posting the detailed instructions; I was waiting to hear back from the OP, but you have saved me the trouble & beat me to it. ;)

@ Klouri:

Please follow AdvancedSetup's expert advice. :)

Let us know if this helps a bit with the high CPU usage.

Best regards,

daledoc1