Windows 98 AV needed!

Bobc11

Perhaps ClamAV still supports it, but aside from that possibility, I know of no other AV (free or paid) that still supports Windows 98.

As for infections, I'm sure there are at least some that will still infect 98 (though not too many most likely).

CIH?

ClamAV is a Linux/Unix command line antivirus, but since SourceFire partnered and acquired Immunet they have placed ClamAV into the Immunet product and cloud. The cloud basically puts everything on the companies server requiring less disk and memory space on your end while delivering a faster product. Since ClamAV is open source and a command line application Clamwin provides a gui for it on Windows.

CIH?

Windows 98 is dead, and CIH died with it. There's no point in running an antivirus on Windows 98, unless you want to additionally slow down the poor 10+ year old machine.

As for software not being compatible with newer operating systems, have you tried virtualizing Windows 98 in any way?

Windows 98 is dead, and CIH died with it. There's no point in running an antivirus on Windows 98, unless you want to additionally slow down the poor 10+ year old machine.

As for software not being compatible with newer operating systems, have you tried virtualizing Windows 98 in any way?

Do you mean in compatibility mode???

No. I specifically meant DosBox if your applications are DOS-based or VirtualBox if you need at least Windows to run them.

Would I need need to upgrade xp? (I have a disk) or Could I lay back & use 2000. 2000 would run much better on this system(Also I have a disk!). As far as programs go... can i run Lotus 123?

Due to the never to be patched security holes in windows 98, the browsers that run on it and the software that runs on it AV is pointless. If you cant live without it for some reason Id go with Faronics Anti-Executable or something similar that simply wont let non whitelist applications run.

Its not like you need to worry about an update going wrong because anti-exe broke it, you wont be seeing any updates for any software you install as it has all been discontinued for many, many years.

The better answer here is to convert any old files you have to a newer format and start using a modern OS. I don't know if you understand how exploits work but on unpatched software you do not need to do anything wrong or dangerous with your system for it to becomes infected.

Think of AV on windows 98 like a deadbolt on your front door while your house has every single window open.

Lotus 123, MS Office 97. Thats all the important ones.

Have you even tried running them on your current system?

Or how about an alternative?

http://download.openoffice.org/

Why run terribly outdated, deprecated software when there's new, much better software that does the same? OpenOffice 3.0 will run on Windows 2000 and newer.

Open office may be the program to use then, I already use it on one of my XP stations.

Ok, I think I may upgrade the system to at least 2000, would that be ok? We have tried XP on it before, and it was terribly slow, I really want to keep this system alive, (and hopefully somewhat secure.) One more thing, when I upgrade should I connect the system to the home domain? Would that be of any use? I just want to have backups of the software, and programs regularly on my backup server, so if the HD's do fail (1 is 13 yr old the other 10) then it wont be a complete loss.

I say that again, because no one had a clear answer the first time.

Would I need need to upgrade xp? (I have a disk) or Could I lay back & use 2000. 2000 would run much better on this system(Also I have a disk!). As far as programs go... can i run Lotus 123?

You need an upgrade version or full retail version of XP to upgrade and to be honest, it is not worth it unless you can clone the drive first and double check that everything still works.

You are FAR better off formatting and starting over.