Networking Problem

steveie

Hello. I just got a brand new computer about 3 months ago. However, about a 2 months into use, my internet disconnected out of nowhere. So, I thought it was it was nothing. However, the next day, my computer disconnected again... This was just a minor annoyance, and it didn't really bother me. After another month goes by, my computer has been disconnecting constantly. If I disable then re-enable my internet, the problem goes away, but returns after 5-10 minutes. If I turn off my router and modem, the problem once again goes away, but returns in about 4-5 hours. Now I'm ticked off. I've been searching the internet for assistances, and decided to come here. I have Netgear router, because my brother uses a computer as well in the other room. So, I thought, if the internet disconnects on my computer, it should disconnect on his! But it didn't! Before all this, I thought it was my modem's fault, because it's almost 3-4 years old. I do not use wireless internet at all. Please help me solve this problem. I would really appreciate it. Thank you! If any info is necessary, I would happily provide it. Once again, thank you!

Hello steveie: :welcome:

If we are to assume that you and your brother share the same modem and router, and your computer is directly connected to one of the ports on the Netgear router, you can try this:

The next time your computer seems to drop its Internet connection, open a command window and issue these two commands only:

ipconfig /release

and

ipconfig /renew

If your computer resumes Internet access, a possible DHCP renewal trouble exists between your computer and the Netgear router.

HTH :)

Hello steveie: :welcome:

If we are to assume that you and your brother share the same modem and router, and your computer is directly connected to one of the ports on the Netgear router, you can try this:

The next time your computer seems to drop its Internet connection, open a command window and issue these two commands only:

ipconfig /release

and

ipconfig /renew

If your computer resumes Internet access, a possible DHCP renewal trouble exists between your computer and the Netgear router.

HTH :)

Hi. Thank you for your answer! I will try this and see report back to you asap!

I just got back home, and turned on my computer. About 10 minutes into use, my internet went down. I tried using the following commands given to me by "1PW", but an error appeared stating "The operation failed as no adapater is in the state permissible for this operation". I was able to access the internet on my iPhone through wi-fi. Also, I use Windows 7.

Hello steveie:

Are you issuing the 2 commands separately and with administrator privileges?

Is your system "DHCP Enabled" and were the results of the ipconfig /all command showing your system's IP Address as something close to 192.168.x.xxx?

Hi 1PW. I do have administrator privileges, and I am issuing the 2 commands separately. I am not sure how to check if my system is DHCP enabled or not. I do not see an IP address close to 192.168.x.xxx, because I use a static IP.

I don't know how to edit my previous post, so forgive me for the double post. I have to sleep right now for school tomorrow, and I wont be back till 4 pm tomorrow. I will be back on right afterschool! Thank you for the help!

Hello steveie:

Your board editing privileges will be enabled once you pass your 50th post.

The use of a static IP address explains why the DHCP release & renew requests were unsuccessful. :)

Please relate why static IP addressing was chosen for your computer and what corresponding changes, if any, were made in the Netgear router.

In the meantime, has a different LAN port on the Netgear router been tried to see if your loss of networking problem changes?

Thank you. :)

We need the additional info 1PW was asking for.

What range does the router give? The router starts to give out DHCP address starting with a certain range, what is it?

What is your Static IP address on your computer?

Does your brother also use a static IP, if so what is it?

If your brother does not use a static IP what is his IP?

It is possible that the IP address you have assigned statically is being issued as DHCP to another device and that is why you loose connection at times?

Hello steveie:

Your board editing privileges will be enabled once you pass your 50th post.

The use of a static IP address explains why the DHCP release & renew requests were unsuccessful. :)

Please relate why static IP addressing was chosen for your computer and what corresponding changes, if any, were made in the Netgear router.

In the meantime, has a different LAN port on the Netgear router been tried to see if your loss of networking problem changes?

Thank you. :)

Hi. I created a static IP, because of gaming. I needed a static ip so I could portfoward. I have tried switching between Lan Ports many times, but neither seem to fix the problem.

We need the additional info 1PW was asking for.

What range does the router give? The router starts to give out DHCP address starting with a certain range, what is it?

What is your Static IP address on your computer?

Does your brother also use a static IP, if so what is it?

If your brother does not use a static IP what is his IP?

It is possible that the IP address you have assigned statically is being issued as DHCP to another device and that is why you loose connection at times?

Hm... I do not understand a few of your questions as I am not familiar with these terms, so I will try to answer to the best of my ability.

My brother does not use a static IP, and his Ip address is 10.0.0.4. My static IP address is 10.0.0.5.

Is your wireless secure? Do you have neighbors close to you that could possibly be connected to your router?

Login to your router and check the settings, also let me know what the starting IP number is for your DHCP.

Yes, my wireless is secured with a password. My starting IP for my DHCP is 10.0.0.1.

Assuming you're using Windows, do you have it set to automatically install updates? You may want to go back and see if a network driver was installed via windows update. Is your brother running the same operating system as you are?

Yes, I do have my windows set to automatically install updates, and I have installed the latest driver for my network adapter. My brother is running Windows XP while I am running Windows 7.

Checking for IPv6 is a good idea...

I do not like to start DHCP at 10.0.0.1 nor like to end at 10.0.0.254 (those numbers are usually reserved). Routers usually like to use the first number to access it. Did you change the router to use these numbers instead of the 192.168.x.x?

If you want to continue to use your range of 10.0.0.x then I would change the DHCP pool to start as say 50. That will leave you ip range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.49 to use as static numbers.

This will help us alleviate if something else is getting assigned your static number through DHCP.

Check to see if you have IPv6 enabled on your network card. Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections right click your card and go to properties. Uncheck Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPc6) if it is checked.

Hi. I did have IPv6 enabled, so I disabled it. However, when I disabled it, it said I had no network connection. But my internet seems to work properly. What's happening?

Checking for IPv6 is a good idea...

I do not like to start DHCP at 10.0.0.1 nor like to end at 10.0.0.254 (those numbers are usually reserved). Routers usually like to use the first number to access it. Did you change the router to use these numbers instead of the 192.168.x.x?

If you want to continue to use your range of 10.0.0.x then I would change the DHCP pool to start as say 50. That will leave you ip range of 10.0.0.2 to 10.0.0.49 to use as static numbers.

This will help us alleviate if something else is getting assigned your static number through DHCP.

Hi. I went on the netgearlogin site, and I found something interesting, but I didn't understand it.

I clicked on Router Status on the site after logging in, and saw a category labeled as Internet Port. This was under it:

IP Address : xx.xx.xx.xx

DHCP : DHCPClient

IP Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Domain Name Server :

Under Internet Port was another category called Lan Port:

IP Address : 10.0.0.1

DHCP : On

IP Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0

What do these mean?

Edited by exile360
Removed user's IP address to protect privacy

Hi. I did have IPv6 enabled, so I disabled it. However, when I disabled it, it said I had no network connection. But my internet seems to work properly. What's happening?

Hi. I went on the netgearlogin site, and I found something interesting, but I didn't understand it.

I clicked on Router Status on the site after logging in, and saw a category labeled as Internet Port. This was under it:

IP Address : xx.xx.xx.xx

DHCP : DHCPClient

IP Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0

Domain Name Server :

Under Internet Port was another category called Lan Port:

IP Address : 10.0.0.1

DHCP : On

IP Subnet Mask :255.255.255.0

What do these mean?

The "Internet Port" is most likely your WAN port which connects to your modem. You may want to double check with your ISP to see what your DNS servers should be because they don't look right to me. You should have two different numbers in there. The LAN port is your local network.

As for your computer not showing a network connection try running the ipconfig/release and ipconfig/renew commands again.