Updating without internet

I have two computers on my network. One of them has lost internet access. I have checked all the obvious reasons and am wondering if it could be due to malware. I have downloaded Malwarebytes on the working machine and transferred it to the non working machine and run a quick scan which found nothing. However the database is very out of date. I have updated on the working machine. Is there any way of updating on the non-working machine in case the problem is due to a recent item of malware?

Hello and welcome, webwiz:

ISSUE: I need to get the latest database onto a computer that cannot access the Internet.

SOLUTION: You can manually copy the database from a working computer using a flash drive or CD onto the infected PC. The database file is stored in the following locations:

* Windows XP and 2000

* C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

* Windows Vista and Windows 7:

* C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program

Please post back and let us know how it goes.

If you need help with malware removal, please

read this: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=69723

and then start a new thread here for free, expert, one-on-one assistance: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=7

Best regards,

daledoc1

Someone beat me to it! lol. I'll add 1 more thing, you have to enable the Application/Program Data folder under "folder options" it is hidden by default.

Hi, brianp48093:

Yup! You have to be pretty quick on the draw around here. :D

Good point about enabling the folder options! (We folks who have hidden files/folders on view sometimes forget that it's not the default setting and that some folks might have trouble locating the rules.ref file.)

Best regards,

daledoc1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, brianp48093:

Yup! You have to be pretty quick on the draw around here. :D

Good point about enabling the folder options! (We folks who have hidden files/folders on view sometimes forget that it's not the default setting and that some folks might have trouble locating the rules.ref file.)

Best regards,

daledoc1

Hi!

Could you tell me where I can find this hidden file? I also cannot download update (it's last update is 2008!) and I am connected to the internet, but it says my firewall is blocking it! (Even though I added it to the safe list, and tried again with the firewall off.)

Thanks!

Hi!

Could you tell me where I can find this hidden file? I also cannot download update (it's last update is 2008!) and I am connected to the internet, but it says my firewall is blocking it! (Even though I added it to the safe list, and tried again with the firewall off.)

Thanks!

Hello and welcome, mexiricandiva:

2008 was your last update?!?!?!

If that is the case, then not only your malware definitions, but also your MBAM program version is years out of date.

There are many reasons why MBAM can have trouble updating -- firewalls and AVs are just one of many.

Can you please post back with some basic information about your system, so that we can advise on some basic troubleshooting?

What is your Operating System (XP, Vista, or Win7)?

Is your OS 32-bit or 64-bit?

What is your OS Service Pack?

What version (if any) of MBAM have you run? (Current is 1.50.1.1100)

What MBAM database version did you use? (Current is 6323)

What brand and version of antivirus, antimalware, and firewall software do you have?

Are you able to run Windows Update to obtain your Windows updates and patches?

Do you use a router to connect to the internet?

Do you use a proxy server to connect to the internet?

Is your computer showing any abnormal behavior (pop-ups, browser redirects, problems running programs, etc) that suggests it could be infected?

I suspect you will need to uninstall whatever MBAM version you have, run the cleanup tool and cleanly reinstall/update the current version of MBAM.

But, if we have a bit more detail about your computer, we can provide instructions tailored to your set-up.

HTH,

daledoc1

• 1 month later...

It does still work, however the database info is now synchronized between the tray for the protection module as well as the GUI, thus it will show the database info for the last database that was installed normally (though it will still scan with the newer database that you copied over manually). This is why we highly recommend updating normally when possible, so that the application and data remain in sync with one another.

You can also download a manual update from here - NOTE: This manual update will always be way behind in version level compared to updates from within the program

Is there any reason why the manual update is so way behind? i just downloaded it and its almost a month old. Also, why isn't there a download link to the update on the downloads page? I always have to look really hard (or search the forums here) to find it?

Hi racer -

That is not usually direct from Malwarebytes but from another site that also hosts our updates as a service to its members and allows us access from their link.

The first part of post #2 in this thread is usually the quickest and most up to date -

Thank You-

EDIT -

Please find the FAQ section and many of these answers here->> http://forums.malwar...indpost&p=49525