Questions about keystrokes, hackers, worried :(

xxariesxx

Hello all.

To be honest I've been paranoid about keyloggers and hackers lately. I also have another post on here where I displayed all of the logs requested, if anyone could look at them for me.

I had accidentally visited a site that I found was a hacker site (after researching), and I left immediately and did not put in any personal information like it asked. Could it still have done something to my computer even though it didn't finish scanning, as in, installed a keylogger?

Something similar, that a little while after that this window popped up with Antivirus 2009... and I hit cancel, but it started scanning on a new page. I immediately exited the window, but do you think that something still could have downloaded itself on my computer?

I'm asking all of this because I'm concerned that if a keylogger would be installed on my computer, could they get access to keystrokes that I have put in BEFORE the program was installed? Like through my temporary files, or if my keystrokes are stored somewhere? I have not turned off my computer for a few days, only restarted it.

I am concerned if I do have a keylogger that was downloaded yesterday, they could get the keystrokes I had put in from a few days ago. Would that happen, or is it that they can only get the keystrokes starting from when the program is installed?

I appreciate so much you reading this post and letting me know what you think. Thank you!

It is possible that a trojan/keylogger got in when you hit that site. Your system does not store lists of previously typed keystrokes so you only need to worry about private information/passwords you've typed after the infection (if you are infected that is). Just make sure you avoid using email, logging in to banking websites, online shopping etc until you are given the all clear by the expert(s) who will review and help you with your logs. Just be patient and give them time as those logs they go through are huge and many people post new ones every day and they must go step by step with each user to get them cleaned up. Good luck and safe surfing.

It is possible that a trojan/keylogger got in when you hit that site. Your system does not store lists of previously typed keystrokes so you only need to worry about private information/passwords you've typed after the infection (if you are infected that is). Just make sure you avoid using email, logging in to banking websites, online shopping etc until you are given the all clear by the expert(s) who will review and help you with your logs. Just be patient and give them time as those logs they go through are huge and many people post new ones every day and they must go step by step with each user to get them cleaned up. Good luck and safe surfing.

Thank you so much for replying! That's a relief I don't have to worry about old keystrokes, I was concerned that they would be saved somewhere and could be accessed. So basically only everything I typed in from the point of infection (if there is an infection) would be stored?

Thank you again

• Root Admin

It would be a good idea to follow these instructions.

Please read and follow the instructions provided here: Pre- HJT Post Instructions

When ready please post your logs here: Malware Removal - HijackThis Logs

Someone will be happy to assist you further with cleaning your system.

During this scan and cleanup process you should not install any other software unless requested to do so.

I had another question about keyloggers that I thought someone could answer.

Perhaps this is an irrational question, but I figure I should learn as much as I can and not assume I know something.

I know that if a keylogger program is installed on your computer it is just like a file and can be deleted if you notice it. But it is possible that the person behind the keylogger could somehow remove the program from your computer before you notice it? As in, they get their information, and remove the keylogged file from your computer so that it looks like it was never there?

I know crazy things happen :huh: So instead of assuming I know I'd like your input. Thanks!

I had another question about keyloggers that I thought someone could answer.

Perhaps this is an irrational question, but I figure I should learn as much as I can and not assume I know something.

I know that if a keylogger program is installed on your computer it is just like a file and can be deleted if you notice it. But it is possible that the person behind the keylogger could somehow remove the program from your computer before you notice it? As in, they get their information, and remove the keylogged file from your computer so that it looks like it was never there?

I know crazy things happen :D So instead of assuming I know I'd like your input. Thanks!

Sure, that's possible if the program is made to self uninstall after a certain date/time etc., but not likely as most of the time they're designed to steal as much info as possible because what if the keylogger gets your gmail password, then deletes itself, but the very next day you log into your bank? With the keylogger gone your bank account's safe, but your email is compromised. To most hackers, that banking info would be far more precious, so the longer the keylogger is on your system, the more likely it is to steal something useful.

Sure, that's possible if the program is made to self uninstall after a certain date/time etc., but not likely as most of the time they're designed to steal as much info as possible because what if the keylogger gets your gmail password, then deletes itself, but the very next day you log into your bank? With the keylogger gone your bank account's safe, but your email is compromised. To most hackers, that banking info would be far more precious, so the longer the keylogger is on your system, the more likely it is to steal something useful.

Ah I see, thanks for your response. I was just concerned because I wouldn't like to think there had ever been a keylogger on my computer, and it's a little scary to think that there could have been one but is not anymore. I imagine that if someone had gotten any information from me they would have probably used it by now anyway, you think?

Ah I see, thanks for your response. I was just concerned because I wouldn't like to think there had ever been a keylogger on my computer, and it's a little scary to think that there could have been one but is not anymore. I imagine that if someone had gotten any information from me they would have probably used it by now anyway, you think?

That depends, I've seen people get infected by a keylogger/trojans etc and they never actually had anything happen (ie no identity theft, no unauthorized charges to their accounts etc). Just keep an eye on things, and if you want to make sure you're safe, you can just change all your passwords after you are certain that your machine is clean.

That depends, I've seen people get infected by a keylogger/trojans etc and they never actually had anything happen (ie no identity theft, no unauthorized charges to their accounts etc). Just keep an eye on things, and if you want to make sure you're safe, you can just change all your passwords after you are certain that your machine is clean.

Alright. Thank you very much for your responses :D

Keyloggers are often used by spouses to see what the other is doing too. There are good keyloggers for keeping kids safer. You should change all your passwords, and use the prevention tools you were advised to use in your HJT thread. Keep everything updated and you should be OK.

Definitely make an effort to keep your passwords revolving over time. I know it's one of those trivial tasks that often gets overlooked, but changing your password every couple of months is going to dramatically reduce the risk of getting it caught.

Not every keylogger installation is being watched like a hawk and not every keylogger is designed to sniff out that kind of information. No need to worry about what you've typed in the past as it has no way of retrieving that kind of information, but still, I agree, they are probably one of those most concerning forms of intrusions.

Definitely make an effort to keep your passwords revolving over time. I know it's one of those trivial tasks that often gets overlooked, but changing your password every couple of months is going to dramatically reduce the risk of getting it caught.

Not every keylogger installation is being watched like a hawk and not every keylogger is designed to sniff out that kind of information. No need to worry about what you've typed in the past as it has no way of retrieving that kind of information, but still, I agree, they are probably one of those most concerning forms of intrusions.

Thank you for your response, I feel better knowing they can't get my past keystrokes and information.