CCleaner is not perfect.

Guest name cool

Sure it does, it wastes your time. Studies show that with a single wipe (not a delete only) of the file is sufficient to prevent recovery from all publicly known methods.

:D Okay :D

Thanks.

The link you posted though (and I'm pretty sure you've posted it at least several times before too on the forum here) should be run on any machine one is giving away/selling or disposing of?

Guest name cool
Yes, all programs should be shutdown for it to work it's best. It can remove a lot with the programs open but not recommended if you're trying to clean up their keys etc.

As for the Gutmann 35-pass method - that is OLD information that is no longer valid for modern hard drives.

http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml

Thank you very much for information , I will do so gave a look at the link :D

M' Anti-M Free use. XP SP 3

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Ccleaner will complain if IE is not closed. The gutmann pass wipes each file 35 times so it's going to be quite slow. :D

Also if FX is not closed, and I assume Opera & Chrome as well.

Guest name cool

Buttons, do you have a car? If yes, give me 2042.gif a turbo and nitrogen, and put it on'' CCleaner.. :D:D

Buttons, do you have a car? If yes, give me 2042.gif a turbo and nitrogen, and put it on'' CCleaner.. :D:D

you mean "nitrous" as in "nitrous oxide" ...

a friend had a nitrous system on his mustang shelby ... wheee !!! just try to lean forward and grab that $100 dollar bill stuck on the dash !

but to add to the gist of this thread ...

turning off , closing and shutting down all unnecessary programs before using ccleaner is the way to go .

i seriously doubt that anyone is so busy that they need to surf the web while cleaning the junk out of their comp .

if they are that busy ... perhaps they need a second comp ?

yeah ... the 35 pass thing went away quite some time back .

a single pass is quite sufficient .

the physics behind it are easy enough ... to be able to write data faster you need to be able to cause a change in the magnetic medium faster ...

this means that there will be less "residual image" .

in the days of "yore and old" data writing was slower and the medium did have "residual image" problems .

note that this is excluding the "bits-n-pieces" of data that can be scattered on a drive ... which was a real headache years ago . :D

Guest name cool

Yes, this is the best way for the cleaning process. I think if there was a browser running, CCleaner does not function properly.

This is true, most of us is to surf the web,,,, does not want to close browsers ..

The next time I will shut down everything when I use CCleaner.!!

Thanks CWB on All this. :D

Guest name cool
Nope. If I had one of those I' say no way! :)

:):lol:

Thanks. buttons 1994.gif . begun like it. and you/ 1986.gif:)

Guest garybear
Not really. :P

Hello! Thanks for all the good information

Like to hear what you think about the registry cleaner in CCleaner.

I use it all the time. I haven't had any trouble with it.

I do save it ,but never had to use the restore yet!!

It also has a uninstall feature.

I'm using the defrag by piriform.

I like it really well.

http://www.piriform.com/defraggler

Guest name cool
I think that the Gutmann 35-pass method is overkill and only needed if you want to get rid of the hard drive.

I agree with CWB to shut down all open programs especially the browser.

I usually only use CCleaner before I shut down the system.

hard drive Sweep, If I wanted to i get rid of the hard drive Can I do this step? Is the all information is stored or click on the keyboard like that? And if I gave him to someone, can use it and extract the information after the throw him?

Guest name cool
The hardrive cannot be fully wiped when the OS is running. You'll need to boot from the windows disc or something like Kill Disk that can format it. :P

http://www.killdisk.com/

How do I use this"killdisk"? Every time I get an error message when it is running. :P

A freeware alternative to KillDisk is DBAN - Darik's Boot and Nuke. Very small ISO file download (~15 MB), simple interface and effective for hard drive data destruction. Supports different methods, including the oft-discussed Gutmann method.

http://www.dban.org/

Just thought I'd throw this in there, as the non-paid KillDisk program only supports basic overwrite, whereas DBAN is free and supports many.

How do I use this"killdisk"? Every time I get an error message when it is running. :huh:

What error are you getting? It's best to use the bootable disk creator(floppies and flash drives). :P Or bootable iso image(for cd's)

http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm

They're the ones on the right. After you burn it or create the disk you'll need to restart and hit F12 to access the boot menu. Depending on what you used you'll ether boot from a flash drive or cd. Once you've done that you'll see a menu with many options. Choose the kill disk free version. Lastly choose the hard drive(not the nodes or sub listings)and select the very bottom option it gives you. Then type in kill disk(with or without caps)for confirmation. :D

Here's the screenshots page.:)

http://www.killdisk.com/screen.htm