We need a how to section!

Guest garybear

Guest garybear

Hi! I have searched , but came up with nothing. I suggest a section that explains how to use the features in the forum. For instance- How to attach a screen shot- How to reply to a topic (AddReply)- How to Insert a Link- How to chkdsk-How to sfc /scannow- Any thing that will help the members.

I know this is not a school on how to use the PC but; these things would help members post their problems with malware. I wish I had the ability to explain how to do these things; that I have learned mostly the hard way. I'm sure we have people on this forum that could handle this easily. Just a suggestion to think about.

Garybear!

Guest garybear

Hi ShyWriter! Thanks for that info. Good stuff. I didn't see how to add screenshots or links. Wondering if they could be added to the help section. The screenshots are a little tricky to attach, and they are some thing members might need to have when explaining their problems. Some times a picture can save a thousand words. I have a hard time describing things and a screenshot sure helps me. Thanks for your post. I'm really not a bad person once you get to know me. A little windy maybe.

Garybear!

Guest garybear

I would also like to ask you this question. Is is a bad thing to edit your posts once you have submitted them to the forum? I some times read my posts and want to edit and add to them. Is that some thing I shouldn't do? I know you don't get a edit button until you have 50 posts. Is this a reason for that?? Maybe I should just add a new post inside of editing. Thank you.

Garybear

To avoid confusion you could write "edit" and then explain what you've changed or added.

I think the 50 post/edit button thing is to prevent new users from editing their logs in the malware removal section. That's just my guess though - you'll have to wait for an admin/mod to give you the correct answer.

Guest garybear

Here is a good example why explaining how to attach a screenshot would help. This person used PhotoBucket to attach a screenshot. I assume it got deleted at PhotoBucket. Now we have no clue what was there. If it had been attached with the feature in the forum, it would still be there. Now all we have is PhotoBucket's logo.???

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=15330

Hi ShyWriter! Thanks for that info. Good stuff. I didn't see how to add screenshots or links. Wondering if they could be added to the help section. The screenshots are a little tricky to attach, and they are some thing members might need to have when explaining their problems. Some times a picture can save a thousand words. I have a hard time describing things and a screenshot sure helps me. Thanks for your post. I'm really not a bad person once you get to know me. A little windy maybe.

Garybear!

Screenshots are easy to add just select Browse... then UPLOAD the picture you saved.

post-100-1285449382_thumb.png

I think the 50 post/edit button thing is to prevent new users from editing their logs in the malware removal section. That's just my guess though - you'll have to wait for an admin/mod to give you the correct answer.

I'm not an admin or a mod but from my understanding, and reading around the board from mods and admins, YES that is the reason for the 50 post count limit until you get the edit button.

I always write Edit: with the new info when I am editing a post, unless its just for spelling.

If its more than like 10 minutes later, I'll usually make a new post if I am not sure if the person I am replying to has already read it, so that they get all of the info I meant to give.

Guest garybear

Hi YoKenny. There's a little bit more to it. First you have to save a screenshot to clip board. Then paste it and save as jpg in Paint.Then save it to where you can find it. Then you can browse and find it and up load it. Then you attach the jpg to your post. There are also programs that capture your screen and save them. I use a freeware called FastStone Capture. I 'm not good at explaining these things, and that's why I started this topic, hoping some one would explain how do do this in detail. Thank you for your post.

Garybear

Guest garybear

Hi mountaintree. Thanks for your post about editing. I will do as you suggested from now on, I will try to remember to do it like that. On other forums. It makes you say why you are editing your post. I suppose that's the reason for the 50 posts rule here. I guess I just never thought to say why I was editing my posts here. That makes since to me now. Thank you!

Garybear

No problem, Garybear :) It is helpful to know why you are editing (unless it's just for spelling errors) so that people know what/why you added something. :(

To avoid confusion you could write "edit" and then explain what you've changed or added.

I believe that is the main reason.:( Of course I'm sure there are other reasons like spam and other unwanted content.

Guest garybear

Hi and thanks to all that have posted on this topic. I haven't paid that much attention ,but does editing your post bump it up to the top. If so maybe that's another reason, but then that doesn't make since. A new reply would do that. Anyway I will do as it has been suggested. Thanks guys and gals !

Garybear

• Staff

No, editing your post does not bump the topic up to the top of the page.

If you use the Full Editor when you edit, you can click a checkbox it have it show an "Edited by:..." bubble with the reason for the edit.

I'll edit if I spot an error immediately after I post, but keep in mind that the longer you wait to edit, the lower the chance that someone will actually see it.

Guest garybear

Thanks Chris!

I got everyone off topic. I really wanted someone to explain how to make a screenshot from scratch and then how to attach it to a post. I tried but I'm afraid I didn't make it very clear. Thanks everyone.

Garybear

I think a tutorial on creating and attaching screenshots is an excellent idea :)

I'll ping Arthur about it since he's very good at visual tutorials (he's the one who did most of the ones in the FAQ and other areas of the forum).

Samuel; if he takes on the challenge please ensure he also explains to people how to delete one attachment from a message that's being replaced by another. Too many people delete the "link" in the message and then still can't figure out why the old attachment is still showing up as well as the new one. They don't realize they have to delete the actual old attachment (Manage Current Attachments) *along with* the "old link" in the message.

And if you see Robert please tell him he hasn't read my Sept 10 PM to him about the Personal Assistant not popping up when one enables real time PM notification while on the system.. at least it doesn't with Firefox and I have popups allowed. Two weeks is a long time to be ignored. :)

Hi Samuel:What is Aurther's IP :)

I wanna see you do a tracert on it. :)

~Steve

Guest garybear

Thanks everyone. I would like to add that when you use a 3rd party to attach screenshots like PhotoBucket; and the image gets deleted at PhotoBucket for some reason, you get a post with just PhotoBucket's logo. I would like to see that warning added to the tutorial. I showed that in one of my posts in this topic. I am on another forum where that's the way they suggest to attach a screenshot. In fact that's the only way you can attach one, They have a lot of posts that end up with just PhotoBucket's logo, but they won't listen to reason. We have smarter people here :) I love screenshots and they can help explain things so much easier. I wonder if it would be against the rules to add their link here showing how to use a 3rd party to attach a screenshot? I personally think 3rd party is a very bad idea and they are cheap skates for not having their own feature. Thanks everyone!

Garybear