Desktop Shortcut Icon reverts to Generic

Hello:

Hope there's an easy fix, rather than having to uninstall/reinstall MBAM.

Desktop shortcut icon for MBAM (and Iobit SmartDefrag) just mysteriously reverted from the "usual", normal ones to the "generic" ones.

I just powered up my system after coming home from work.

System booted just fine and shortcuts were all normal (I think, though I didn't pay much notice).

MBAM is NOT configured to load with Windows startup.

After system was running, KIS2011 phoned home for a routine def update (nothing major - no major software patch).

Came back to the computer and saw that the 2 shortcuts for MBAM and SmartDefrag were now the "generic" ones.

I don't know if the KIS update was cause or coincidence.

KIS has been playing fine with MBAM, including my manual start of the protection module, running real-time, but not at Windows startup.

MBAM just updated fine (4678), and I the GUI opens and the program runs -- I just completed a Quick Scan (it and all previous scans have been clean).

There are no signs or symptoms of infection on the system.

The shortcuts, though they "look funny", both work -- clicking on them does open each program. So, for the moment, it is just "cosmetic", but annoying....

What I've tried (none of which worked):

1) Deleting the "generic" icons and trying to create new shortcuts from the start menu -- the icon is generic there, too, so it just creates a new generic shortcut.

2) Checking in C:\Program Files, where the EXE files for both programs are also "generic".

3) Rebooting.

4) Checking the application rules in KIS for both programs - they all have full permissions.

1) What is going on?

2) Is there an "easy" fix, or am I going to have to try the laborious process of uninstalling/cleaning/reinstalling MBAM (and SmartDefrag)?

3) If I do try to reinstall, is this likely to re-occur, if the underlying cause is not determined/fixed?

Thanks much in advance,

daledoc1

I might be going out a huge limb here, but, check your KIS logs and see if Mbam may have accidentally been deleted during a scan? (Which I highly, highly doubt, but is possible). Unless you do manual scans, then that wouldn't be the case. Other than that, I am not sure :)

Hi, Mountaintree16:

Thanks for writing.

Nope, MBAM is "still there" and works fine - even from the weird shortcut.

Last KIS scan was at 0500 AM today (clean).

Computer was normal after that (including the shortcuts), and there was even a KIS auto-update before I powered down the system to go to work.

So, everything was working perfectly when I shut down this AM.

Everything was also working fine when I powered up this PM.

MBAM protection module was not running when I did the KIS update after I booted up. No Windows patches, no other updates.

The only thing that "happened" on the system before this occurred was the KIS update.

Both weird shotcuts work, and both programs work fine.

The fact that this involves not just MBAM, but also SmartDefrag suggests it's not an "MBAM" thing, per se.

Moreover, here is what is REALLY weird -- take a look at the attached screenshots:

1) The one taken from the desktop shows the 2 funky icons.

2) The one taken from the Browse > File Upload window of this forum (and the KL forum) shows both icons as totally normal!!!

Why would these appear normal in this file upload window, but "generic" on the desktop, in the start menu, and in C:\Programs???

Never seen anything like this...

Since SmartDefrag is the easier one to reinstall (heck, I hardly ever use it), unless I hear back something from KL forum, I will try to uninstall and reinstall it.

If that fixes it, I may then try the complicated MBAM uninstall/cleanup/reinstall. Hate to resort to a system restore -- probably not worth it.

BUMMER, everything was just fine for the past month,

Thanks,

daledoc1

If you want to do a un-install & use the Clean tool, and reinstall the Malwarebytes program. Follow the steps below.

Please do the following to see if it resolves the issue: Post back and let us know please

To Fully Remove and Reinstall a Fresh New Copy of Malwarebytes - Read Carefully

Windows XP:

• Click on Start and select Control Panel
  • Open Add/Remove Programs
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Windows Vista and Windows 7:

• Click on the Start button and select Control Panel
  • Click on Programs and Features
  • Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Restart your computer very important !
  • Download and run mbam-clean.exe from Here

It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so, very important

After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from Here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Paid version only

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now reset any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications.

You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask us and we will explain how to do it.

Thank You

Hi, Yardbird:

Thanks, yes I have Exile360's detailed specific instructions for installing on a system with KIS..

I have reinstalled MBAM several times on my other platforms and on this one when it was running McAfee. So, I know the basic steps, I think, especially the cleanup.

It's a bit more "involved" with KIS.

FWIW Someone at KL thinks that clearing & rebuilding the iconcache.db may fix the problem.

I may try to uninstall/reinstall Smart Defrag first.

If the Smart Defrag reinstall solves it for that program, then I will have to choose between:

1) Clearing the iconcache.db OR

2) Reinstalling MBAM.

If the SmartDefrag reinstall does NOT solve it for that program, then I will probably be looking at clearing the iconcache.db or <gulp, hate to do it>, a system rollback...

Thanks for the helpful instructions!

daledoc1

• Root Admin

There is no harm in deleting the iconcache.db file and it will rebuild on it's own. If you right click on the icon and choose to change the icon, then point it right back to the program and choose the normal icon, that too may fix it. It could also be due to some tweak or setting that modified the file association.

>>>If you right click on the icon and choose to change the icon, then point it right back to the program and choose the normal icon, that too may fix it.

Advanced Setup (Ron): Can I marry you????? <Just kidding>

This worked!!!!

For BOTH program shortcuts and in the start menu listings, as well!!!

I found info at sevenforums.com that essentially pointed to the same series of steps suggested by the poster at the KL forum re: rebuilding the iconcache.db.

They even have a batch file to do it, for those wishing an "automated" fix.

But, now it turns out not to be needed! (They have batch files to fix the file association thing, too, but doing it for (all) EXE files would make me nervous, esp for a "cosmetic" issue....)

I'm not going to reboot just yet to see if the changes stick, but I have restored both the MBAM and Smart Defrag shortcuts, at least for now. :-)

THANKS SO VERY, VERY MUCH --THIS forum (and its moderators and members) is without ANY question **THE*** most helpful place on the entire internet forum scene, bar none.

Regards,

The-ever-grateful daledoc1