Did I just purchase a license copy of MBAM 32bits or 64bits?

Hi Folks,

I have just bought (on-line) a license copy of MBAM to install on my new pc - Windows 7 64bits Home Premium.

I wonder if I have downloaded the right one (64bits) for my new pc so would like to know if I am not messing things up for myself.

This is how I downloaded the license copy.

1) Downloaded using old Win XP 32 bits pc.

2) Downloaded and saved to USB stick.

3) Transfer to new pc - Windows 7 64bits Home Premium.

4) Installed and everything seem to run smoothly. Fast scanning ...

I then started to check on Task Manager to see if MBAM was running and it's resources usage which to my surprise I saw mbamgui.exe *32

Question:

1) Have I downloaded the right MBAM 64bits for my Windows 7 64bits Home Premium?

2) Does mbamgui.exe *32 mean that it is 32bits instead of the 64bits I am supposed to use?

3) If I have done it wrongly how do I remedy this? i.e. download the right 64bits copy & uninstall then install again with the right one?

Please advice.

Cheers

:)

p/s: the reason I have not used my new pc (64bits) for online purchase because my security parameter had not been set up properly yet.

Greetings :)

Each license is good for 32 bit systems or 64 bit systems :)

The same is true of the program itself, the installer is universal for both 64 and 32 bit systems.

It like most applications, uses a 32 bit executable (mbamgui.exe), but the driver used by Malwarebytes is 64 bit on a 64 bit operating system.

Greetings :)

Each license is good for 32 bit systems or 64 bit systems :)

The same is true of the program itself, the installer is universal for both 64 and 32 bit systems.

It like most applications, uses a 32 bit executable (mbamgui.exe), but the driver used by Malwarebytes is 64 bit on a 64 bit operating system.

Thank you for the clarification. Phew! :)

So far MBAM is playing very nicely with my system as I do not need to configure anything extra on my AV. Just installed and run. No slow down whatsoever with Win7x64. Resource usage is also very good and I am very happy with it.

Keep up the good work MBAM.

For others if you have extra budget I suggest you go for the Paid version as they have more features.

I bought a copy after reading through a security forum where experience members have highly recommended MBAM.

I'm glad I was able to help, and thank you for the compliments, we do appreciate them :)

Please post again if you have any questions or issues.

Oh ya ... some questions to ask I noticed something since installation.

My other AV is MSE but I did not perform the exclude MBAM from MSE AV list so my questions are:

1) Will MSE shut down MBAM if I do not exclude MBAM from MSE AV list? (hope not)

I know your instruction is for those who experienced Windows 32bits freeze but just double checking that's all. Still running smooth so I assume MBAM & MSE in Win7x64 should be fine without having to be in the excluded list?

2) Something I noticed today ... The reason I ask is that when I performed "manual update" (just for the sake of trying or just because I could :). As for auto update it was fine as I did notice automatic update notification at the corner of Win7 btw) and each time I lunched MBAM from the desktop, Win7x64 (Windows popup) would ask me if I would like to install this MBAM programme? I clicked yes and I could notice the monitor light flick (screen turn grayish then to normal when MBAM appeared) and MBAM would lunch then I simply updated. Updating MBAM manually or automatically was a breeze with not a problem but when I lunched MSE no such thing happened i.e. the monitor light did not flick, so I am a bit puzzle as to whether MBAM is running at all. Or is it a Microsoft thing with their user rights? I am using Admin for now (is preparing to use LUA soon) but have not surf net properly yet as I am still setting up my security parameter and solving Windows 7 Black Screen of Death (graphic cards driver related).

3) Is it still running silently in the background if I can see the mbamgui.exe *32 on Task Manager?

Hello again :)

1. No, they should work just fine together. I run them together on 7 x64 and Vista x64 without any issues and I've done so with and without exclusions set for MBAM in MSE.
  2. That's normal. It's User Account Control asking if you'd like to allow the program to run or not. This happens because Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's scanner requires administrative privileges to run, thus causing the UAC prompt. Opening MSE's user interface does not require administrative privileges so you won't get such a notification and darkening of the screen.
  3. As long as you see mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe in your Task Manager then it is running. You should also look for the taskbar icon near your clock, it will not only show you that it's running, but also indicate when realtime protection is disabled by turning grey instead of red.

Hello again :)

1. No, they should work just fine together. I run them together on 7 x64 and Vista x64 without any issues and I've done so with and without exclusions set for MBAM in MSE.
  2. That's normal. It's User Account Control asking if you'd like to allow the program to run or not. This happens because Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's scanner requires administrative privileges to run, thus causing the UAC prompt. Opening MSE's user interface does not require administrative privileges so you won't get such a notification and darkening of the screen.
  3. As long as you see mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe in your Task Manager then it is running. You should also look for the taskbar icon near your clock, it will not only show you that it's running, but also indicate when realtime protection is disabled by turning grey instead of red.

All is well ... MBAM is functioning well and both mbamgui.exe and mbamservice.exe are running in the Task Manager. No need to exclude them from MSE list in Win7x64.

Silly me as I am still getting used to Win7x64 Task Manager as not everything is shown if I do not click All User (at the left bottom corner of Task Manager) to see what's running as programmes running in System are not shown if I do not click All User.

Yes, it is a UAC prompt which I have only noticed as my other OS is WinXP and skipping Vista to Win7 require a bit of learning.

Real time is on as the icon is red all the time. Just now it updated automatically so all well here.

Cheers

Try this MBAM test site.

http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/

by going to this web site, it will test your IP blocker in Malwarebytes, it will display a page on your browser that the page could not be found, and you should see in the system tray a message from malwarebytes that the IP 69.162.79.76. This is a safe site that was put in place by Malwarebytes for testing your IP protection....

Try this MBAM test site.

http://iptest.malwarebytes.org/

by going to this web site, it will test your IP blocker in Malwarebytes, it will display a page on your browser that the page could not be found, and you should see in the system tray a message from malwarebytes that the IP 69.162.79.76. This is a safe site that was put in place by Malwarebytes for testing your IP protection....

Yes, just tried the iptest.malwarebytes.org and it came up with the exact description as you mentioned so good or bad?

I also tried another site by GRC ShieldsUP! and they could see my IP address but nothing else.

So I guess MBAM is working :D

Yes, just tried the iptest.malwarebytes.org and it came up with the exact description as you mentioned so good or bad?

I also tried another site by GRC ShieldsUP! and they could see my IP address but nothing else.

So I guess MBAM is working :D

That is good and MBAM is working correctly. :D