no drive for password

I downloaded Malwarebytes onto my new computer then transfered it to a flash drive. After the download I am now unable to start my computer as it says there is no drive and will not accept my password.

I cannot run the recovery disc without starting the computer. Any help would be most welcome.

Thanks, Laurie and Ed

We were not able to run a scan because we are not able to even start the computer as it will not accept our password.

We cannot run the recovery disc because it will not start.

The computer was working perfectly before we downloaded the program.

Just downloading the program will not in itself cause your issue.

After you downloaded the program, did you install Malwarebytes, Update it, and then run a quick scan? We need an answer to that question.

Also Malwarebyes in no way will put a password into your system anywhere. This password that it is asking for, is it before windows starts to load, or is it after windows loads?

Thank you for taking the time with this. The password it is asking for presents itself before windows starts, as soon as you turn the computer on.

I am not sure if he downloaded the program onto the new computer or not. We know this is our fault we just don't know how to fix it. Ed is fairly comptent on the computer. I am not.

This is a brand new Gateway.

The long version is that I picked up the xp virus on my Acer laptop for the second time last week. The first time, one year ago the computer guy in town charged 200.00 to remove it. After endless hours of trying to make it go away without result Ed decided to buy me a new laptop rather than taking it back to the computer shop. All is well. He sets up the new laptop it is working fine but I am afraid to use it because he still can't tell me how I got this infection on my computer and I think I will get it again. They both are currently updated and had anti- virus protection. Norton. His HP desktop computer nrver gets this vius.

So I am looking for information on this virus to see what I did wrong so I do not get it again. I find Bleepingcomputer.com and they have what seems to me fairly straightforward directions for removing this infection from the Acer (easy to follow for people of any expertise) I think this caviat should cover Ed. The directions state that we will need a UBS flash drive. He buys one. He sticks it into my new laptop and follows the next step downloading Malwares AntiMalware link and FixExe.reg. Done. Now the stick is loaded I presume and ready to go into the Acer. He shuts down the new computer and is ready to fix the Acer in the morning. I decide to get acquainted with my new computer which up until now has been working fine. It will not accept the password he set to start the computer. All hell breaks loose and here we are .3 computers only one working. It is all my fault.

by the sound of it, it sounds like there is Bios password, and Malwarebytes will not do that.

As far as not getting infected again, if you were to have the full version of Malwarebytes running and having an up to date Anti-virus software, you should be ok. Malwarebytes Web Blocker on the full version will help keep you stay protected as well as the scheduled updates and scans.

You need to check your password and be careful to check for Case sensitve letters like caps.

Do not blame yourself about what happened, after all, mistakes do happen :D

For preventing future infections I would recommend to:

1) Increase your web security by adding a software or add-on which shows how safe the sites behind available links are. After that it should be harder to get malware trought websites.

2) SpywareBlaster would be a great example of web security softwares. It prevents you from entering malicious web sites and protects your computer from drive-by ActiveX-installation. Spywareblaster supports Firefox, Internet Explorel and Opera.

Could you tell us your web browser? :)

We use Internet Explorer. I use the computer to shop at major department stores, look at real estate from all over the world, read newspapers, E-Bay a pet forum, the weather report and Google

to answer questions I have which is how I ended up here. I do not look for anything suspicious and I do not know how to download anything.

We live in a very rural area and I have enjoyed the wealth of knowledge it offers, however having this XP thing has taken the fun out of it for me and I want to be sure I don't get it again.

Thanks, Laurie

Hi, Laurie. I'm glad you were able to get your new computer working again. I think adding the paid version of Malwarebytes to the computer would be very wise. It will offer additional protection, sometimes identifying problems that your antivirus program misses. Also, its IP Protection feature will prevent you from accessing web sites that might be harmful.

I don't know whether Malwarebytes can help you fix your old computer, but it might be worth a try. Just be aware that you can use the paid version on only one computer. So I'd put the paid version on your new computer and put the free version on your old computer and have it run a scan to see what it turns up. The folks here on this forum have helped lots of people after Malwarebytes has identified some infections on their computers.

One more thing. You probably know that Internet Explorer is targetted much more often by malware creators than other browsers, in part because it has the largest number of users, and in part because other browsers such as Firefox tend to fix the problems that come up more quickly than IE. You might want to consider switching to Firefox or some other non-IE browser (e.g., Opera, Chrome). But the most important thing is to increase your computer's security, and for that the paid version of Malwarebytes is invaluable.

Thanks to everyone.

Will take your advice and equip the new computer with the paid program today. We have only ever bought these things at Futureshop. Will the on-line installation be complicated because if we have anymore problems I will run away from home.

Laurie

The installation of the paid version is painless and you do not need Firefox.

The people that recommend Firefox do not know how to use IE8 with all of its updated security features and performance.

Stay Safer Online

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/safer.aspx

Increased performance

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/internet-explorer/features/faster.aspx

The licence is lifetime on each PC I did not buy the CD.

I have a USB Flash drive that I store MBAM installation and its licence.

You can by them at Future Shop.

post-100-1270923353_thumb.png

Thanks for your patience. We just got the flash drive to fix our old computer. He is still learning how it works and I am trying to help. He does not want to put it back in the new computer to clean it for fear of shutting down the computer again wheather this is a possibility or not I have no idea. He can get another one at Future Shop next week. I think we should just take a break from all this and go outside. It is a beautiful day here.

Regards, Laurie

Update

The Acer is in the dump. The new Gateway is equipped with the Malwarebytes pay version. I downloaded it myself. No problem.

Our marriage is still intact.

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement and advice. These forums are a valuable source of education and support. I had no idea what Malware was yesterday. I plan to educate myself.

When you know better you do better.