MBAM_ERROR

I Have recently updated Malwarebytes to version 1.45

The program installed fine and i was able to update the database aswell, However when i try today i get this error below.

MBAM_ERROR_UPDATING
(12150, 0, WinHttpQueryHeaders)

Would this be a server error when retrieving a database update?

The version of the program im using is un-registered.

Hello there.... Have you checked out the following thread: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=45044 ?

I am getting the same error, but MBAM 1.45's update feature works just fine when I disable my firewall temporarily.

I'm using Sunbelt Personal Firewall, & am going to try adding all the files that was suggested to see if I can update without having to disable SPF all the time.

• Staff
Hello there.... Have you checked out the following thread: http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=45044 ?

I am getting the same error, but MBAM 1.45's update feature works just fine when I disable my firewall temporarily.

I'm using Sunbelt Personal Firewall, & am going to try adding all the files that was suggested to see if I can update without having to disable SPF all the time.

Just tried this with SPF and no matter what I do, short of disabling the firewall, it will not allow an update, despite the tool balloon saying it was permitted.

This is a program that id like to purchase, but if it's not updating correctly as a trial then is it worth it.

Apart from that, the program is great and have used it for quite awhile now, I have one question thou?

Can you download an update manually and add it that way?

• Staff
This is a program that id like to purchase, but if it's not updating correctly as a trial then is it worth it.

Apart from that, the program is great and have used it for quite awhile now, I have one question thou?

Can you download an update manually and add it that way?

Please confirm you added our files to any exclusion\whitelisting options in both your antivirus and firewall.

Until this is done, we cannot eliminate it as a problem, which it is quite often.

As I said in my last post, the Sunbelt firewall is clearly not configured right, it tells me it's allowed the files access, but it won't allow an update unless I disable it. We're trying to gt Sunbelt to have a look at it for us.

Btw, w do not have any 'trial' versions, it's either Free or PRO.

Please confirm you added our files to any exclusion\whitelisting options in both your antivirus and firewall.

Until this is done, we cannot eliminate it as a problem, which it is quite often.

This is what i have done so far:

I have added the files to my exclusion lists as stated in another topic on the forum.

Unistalled MBAM from Add & Remove.

Used the MBAM clean tool, re-installed MBAM 1.45

Re-booted as and when.

Tried to update by disableling my firewall.

But the problem still persists

The only thing i haven't done is unistalled my Norton 360, which i don't intend to as ive read other topics that this still doesn't solve the problem,

I appreciated the hard work you guys are putting into getting this resolved but i guess patience is the key here as im sure this will get sorted soon.

What alot of people may not understand is that any software you you use is prone to having bugs etc.. especially at times when there are updates involved,

If there is anything else you can suggest then im willing to give it a go but i won't be unistalling Norton 360 for something that i use is free, but i hear that even registered users are having problems too, hopefully this will all get resolved soon rather than later..

My appologies, it's the free version that im using..

• Staff
This is what i have done so far:

I have added the files to my exclusion lists as stated in another topic on the forum.

Unistalled MBAM from Add & Remove.

Used the MBAM clean tool, re-installed MBAM 1.45

Re-booted as and when.

Tried to update by disableling my firewall.

But the problem still persists

The only thing i haven't done is unistalled my Norton 360, which i don't intend to as ive read other topics that this still doesn't solve the problem,

I appreciated the hard work you guys are putting into getting this resolved but i guess patience is the key here as im sure this will get sorted soon.

What alot of people may not understand is that any software you you use is prone to having bugs etc.. especially at times when there are updates involved,

If there is anything else you can suggest then im willing to give it a go but i won't be unistalling Norton 360 for something that i use is free, but i hear that even registered users are having problems too, hopefully this will all get resolved soon rather than later..

My appologies, it's the free version that im using..

Thanks for clarifying.

How new is this version of N360? Another user in support had said Norton issued an update to address some problems with Malwarebytes. I'm unsure though if it was specific to udpdating.

Wow TeMerc.... You are lucky.... The mbam exe files would not stay added for me with SPF.... I didn't get even get a tool balloon message about anything. I would add MBAM.... It looks like it adds perfectly, but then.... when I click all the okay buttons & re-enter the menu or even re-enter the program, nothing is in the exceptions list at all.

Are you testing with VIPRE Premium (which I heard includes an updated SPF) or SPF paid/free? ???

I know that SPF is somehow blocking MBAM by looking at the sbhips.log file.... but I can't make sense of the error message(s), to be honest.... (Every time I tried to update MBAM, there was some sort of code type message.... (I've uploaded a screenshot of the SPF version I'm using.)

Below is some of the mumbo jumbo that comes up when I try to update MBAM 1.45. It's taken directly from the sbhips.log. How I determined that stuff below as being from MBAM is that I opened the log file, looked at the last time that was there, made sure nothing was happening on the computer, closed it, looked at the time & then tried to update MBAM.

31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x78193738, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x78193DB8, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x7816AEE8, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x781C45E8, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x78166613, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x781C4703, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D95D6E0, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D95DB59, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D95F3F4, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D9A7057, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D94DEFE, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:36 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D94F8B2, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x78193738, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x78193DB8, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x7816AEE8, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x781C45E8, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x78166613, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x781C4703, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D95D6E0, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D95DB59, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D95F3F4, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D9A7057, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D94DEFE, Invalid data pointer as arguments
31.3.2010 18:07:43 HookPatchMemory: Address: 0x3D94F8B2, Invalid data pointer as arguments

post-37583-1270073193_thumb.png

As I said in my last post, the Sunbelt firewall is clearly not configured right, it tells me it's allowed the files access, but it won't allow an update unless I disable it. We're trying to gt Sunbelt to have a look at it for us.

I've the same problem, and I've not only confirmed the above, but have added the site that the updates are received from to my Trusted Zones list within my firewall. Yet, that didn't help.

The only way I've found to update the new version is to bring down the firewall. Obviously, that's a VERY bad thing to do.

Perhaps there is some new ActiveX code or other stuff being trapped by ZoneAlarm?

Perhaps you could specify ALL of the IP's that need to be added to the Trusted Zone (or as you say.... the exclusion/whitelist in the firewall/anti-virus).... BTW... it's not the anti-virus because all I need to do is kill ZoneAlarm, NOT any other program(s) in order to accomplish the update.

Unforunately, the first responder to this thread poster appears to be correct.

I hope you folks look into the source of this error msg. It might well be a new error message, and it might help you folks diagnose what you did to your latest version of Malwarebytes to cause this serious problem in your own code.

Thanks in advance for your assistance. I look foward to your posting a fix for this in your next release, as bringing down my firewall is not something I want to continue doing, and I doubt anyone else would like to do it either. Thanks again.

Did you try the other suggestion that was posted? That seemed to work for one user.

of MBAM

Just a quick comment on the suggestions in your last two posts.... I can't find any of these options in the Free Version of MalwareBytes.

If the exist in the Free Version, perhaps you could enlighten me as to where I can find them?

Wow TeMerc.... You are lucky.... The mbam exe files would not stay added for me with SPF....

I had a similar experience with the installation of the free version of Malwarebytes 1.45 with ZoneAlarm (2009 paid-for version).

I've been using the free version of Malwarebytes 1.45 with ZoneAlarm (2009 paid-for version) for the past 6 months and have never experienced this same result whereby the new Malwarebytes version was not correctly recognized by ZoneAlarm's "Program Control" upon the installation of any previous update of Malwarebytes.

Did you try the other suggestion that was posted? That seemed to work for one user.

of MBAM

Hello AdvancedSetup! Yes I did try that. Before when I was trying to add MBAM to the SPF exceptions in the HIPS sections under either buffer overflow or code injection, it would not add. I wasn't running the program at startup & I didn't have any of the real time blocking protection enabled. I tried updating with it on & with it off, but the results were still the same.

I am just wondering & this is probably a long shot: Could it be that the whole updating process is dependent on some sort of service? (I am running XP & a lot of my services under Computer Management are set to Manual; a few are disabled.) ???

The only other things I'm running in real time besides SPF are Microsoft Security Essentials & AppGuard. I tried updating with both temporarily disabled & still get the same error. The only thing that worked was axing SPF temporarily.

Thanks for any help! :)

• Staff

OK, here is what I get with SPF: :)

It says it allowed it, but then it won't connect. Pretty sure I've exhausted every option in SPF for allowing or permitting the files I could add.

post-1066-1270081278_thumb.jpg

Okay.... AdvancedSetup, thank you! I ate something, drank some of my favorite juice & came back to the computer. I thought about what you said & I understand it now.

IN SPF, there is a side tab called Web. Under that on the Ad-blocking tab, you uncheck Enable web filtering & that does the trick. (I thought that was an option under MBAM.... Oops!)

I don't know if VIPRE Premium's firewall screen looks the same.....

Now that a workaround has been identified: Will this be the only way that MBAM 1.45 (&/or future releases) will update smoothly?

(In SPF, I happen to use the web filtering feature. It will be a pain to have to disable part of the firewall each time to update. I don't have to do that with any of my other programs. I hope this will all be sorted out soon!)

post-37583-1270082515_thumb.png

• Staff
IN SPF, there is a side tab called Web. Under that on the Ad-blocking tab, you uncheck Enable web filtering & that does the trick. (I thought that was an option under MBAM.... Oops!)

I don't know if VIPRE Premium's firewall screen looks the same.....

Now that a workaround has been identified: Will this be the only way that MBAM 1.45 (&/or future releases) will update smoothly?

I made this change and MBAM updated successfully.

• Root Admin

Hello Kei and thank you for understanding and taking a deeper look into it. The issue though is a bit more complex and the underlying filter driver that drives your firewall may need an update to properly work with our new version. I would hope not and its possible that maybe we can track down a tweak or work-around for it. We've already made tweaks so that McAfee would work properly with our software because they ignore their own internal settings, but just like Microsoft who has written thousands of tweaks and updates to make Windows work with all the millions of programs out there, no one wants to believe that their favorite program might also be to blame.

Let me point you to this recent post I made as well.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...st&p=225316

If there is something that we can find and tweak to make it work otherwise we certainly will but I cannot promise that we will find such an internal fix or not. At this point in time we just don't know the real underlying cause of why a handful of systems are experiencing update issues and others are not.

Thank you again.

This looks to be a bug with Web Filtering in the Sunbelt Personal Firewall. At the moment, the only workaround would be to disable Web Filtering. To do this, open the firewall. Click Web on the left. Uncheck the "Enable web filtering" option then click Apply. You should now be able to update normally.

Disabling Web Filtering won't lower your security as this is just an added feature and aside from the advertisement blocking, most other options here should also be available in your web browser.

In addition, if you are using VIPRE Premium you can resolve this problem by adding mbamupdates.com to the Allowed Web Sites list. To do this, open VIPRE Premium. Go to the Firewall tab. Click View Settings. Click Web Filter Settings. Go to the Allowed Web Sites tab. Click Add. Enter mbamupdates.com then click OK. This should solve the problem.

• Staff
In addition, if you are using VIPRE Premium you can resolve this problem by adding mbamupdates.com to the Allowed Web Sites list. To do this, open VIPRE Premium. Go to the Firewall tab. Click View Settings. Click Web Filter Settings. Go to the Allowed Web Sites tab. Click Add. Enter mbamupdates.com then click OK. This should solve the problem.
Hello and welcome to the Malwarebytes forums.

Thanks for dropping into comment on the issue, it is much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I really wished that adding mbamupdates.com to SPF would have solved the problem, but it hasn't.

SPF & VIPRE Premium are 2 different things.

• Staff
I really wished that adding mbamupdates.com to SPF would have solved the problem, but it hasn't.

SPF & VIPRE Premium are 2 different things.

Please re-read the instructions, the fix for SPF is not not adding the url, it's disabling the web filtering feature.

Adding the URL is for VIPRE

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to say thank you for your response. I have been working on my system for a while, trying to figure out some things.

First off, I want to say that that is not an acceptable fix from Sunbelt. What's interesting about this whole thing is that I actually contacted Sunbelt, & I never got a response. I've neither seen nor heard of any type of proper fix for the issue.

From since that time, I have switched to Avast Internet Security, which allows me to update in peace, without adjusting the features of the firewall EVERY TIME I want to update MBAM. I actually found SPF's web filtering feature to be quite useful & powerful, & I have rarely ever surfed the net without it.

The best I can do at this point is to salvage my loss, if that is at all possible; it has been most disappointing from VIPRE & now to SPF. The thing is: It's not just me switching; other people are doing so as well, just from a quick glance of the company's forum.

There's no way I could stick with a product like that & I definitely can't recommend it to anyone. What would I do without MBAM & it's absolutely indispensable IP Protection? :) It really doesn't get any better than that. I am so happy that I can run MBAM & AIS side by side without problems (at least for now). I will hope that this new setup I have decided on will continue to work for me.

Just sharing the outcome of all of this. Thank you.

HI -

This has been the best solution found -

For those using VIPRE PREMIUM and having problems with V1.45 updating, here is the best fix.

1. Open VIPRE
  2. Click Web Filter Settings
  3. Click Allowed Web Sites
  4. Add "data-cdn.mbamupdates.com" (without the quotes)
  5. click OK
  6. Close VIPRE

Now MBAM V1.45 will update normally.

The picture of VIPRE solution -

EDIT - In your case Kei have you tryed to just turn off SPF web filtering feature for a while -

Sunbelt Personal Firewall used to be called the Kerio Personal Firewall (KPF). Sunbelt just changed the name to SPF after they purchased it -