Best security soft

hellomoto

Hello. Im using in my PC with Windows XP SP 3 three programs: DefenseWall, Outopst Free and of course Malwarebytes AntiMalware. Is this a good set? And second question: how good secure Windows 7 64-bit system? Im using on notebook with Win7 Norton Internet Security 2010, but I'm afraid it can be too weak defense of my system. Windows 7 is new system for me: do you know any tips & tricks for Win7 about better security

Sincerely,

hellomoto from Poland

Hello hellomoto,

For your PC with windows XP SP3 i woud use

Antivirus -> Microsoft Security Essentials

Firewall -> Defensewall

Antimalware -> Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware as and extra layer of protection BEST The PRO Version :blush:

For Your Netbook;

Antivirus -> Your Norton Internet Security 2010

Firewall -> Your Norton Firewall Is Strong Enough

Antimalware -> Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware as and extra layer of protection BEST The PRO Version :)

Greets.

I believe in Layered Protection of my system as no one application is 100% effective against today's prolific malware on the Internet today.

• Having an up to date anti virus application like you have
  • Having an up to date anti malware application like Malwarebytes' Anti-malware (MBAM) with its resident protection provided by the PRO version
  • Having an up to date system monitor like WinPatrol that monitors critical system resources for changes that could occur when malware tries to slip in without your knowledge

WinPatrol Free vs PLUS

http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

I use them all on my systems.

I have the new system, with everyone actualisation from Microsoft. I dont prefer antivirus on my PC, I think DefenseWall is better.

No offense or anything, but you really ought to use an anti-virus. No matter what the HIPS detects it won't do anything if you download something that malwarebytes' doesn't detect and run it. Then the HIPS doesn't alert you. Then who is infected? Software can get in even with an HIPS and not make it's self known. I had a trojan at one time that superantispyware found. My system seemed to be a little sluggish then normal, but not something that had me really concerned. I happened to do a daily scan and what to do you know? I found a pest.

Avast! isn't too bad ether. Although there is a lot of conflicts with malwarebytes', there are plenty to choose from. Avira isn't bad, but might stray people away with it's annoying ad's. I've also heard good things about the free Panda Cloud. It might take some time to research, but there are good ones out there that are free. ;)

@ Buttons

avast! anti virus does not conflict with Malwarebytes but you do not need it with MSE as MSE's active protection will conflict with it due to its anti virus detection.

Avast conflicts with Defensewall and Online Armor. I used this set and i have problem with internet connection. You think I need a antivirus to my set? What is best, and not conflictable with DefenseWall? I dont make a lot of scans by Malwarebytes, maybe one or two in a month.

Its more like Defensewall is conflicting with Online Armor.

You can not run 2 software firewalls at the same time just the same as 2 active anti virus applications.

Neither Defensewall nor Online Armor is an anti virus application.

Avast conflicts with Defensewall and Online Armor. I used this set and i have problem with internet connection. You think I need a antivirus to my set? What is best, and not conflictable with DefenseWall? I dont make a lot of scans by Malwarebytes, maybe one or two in a month.

Many people I know run Defensewall with Avast! though it is different for each machine. I personally also have a Defenswall and Appguard license but I have not decided which one to us.

@ Buttons

avast! anti virus does not conflict with Malwarebytes but you do not need it with MSE as MSE's active protection will conflict with it due to its anti virus detection.

Yeah I know, I was just saying I personally can't recommend it do to my experience. I did remove MSE to try avast and it did lock up again yesterday. I could move the mouse and access the start menu, but couldn't open anything, restart windows and seamonkey remained on the screen inaccessible. Had to force a shutdown and remove avast, then everything was fine again. I'll probably stick with MSE do to the bad experiences I've had with avast 5.

@ buttons

I do not see you over at the avast! forum requesting help:

avast! Free/Pro/Suite

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Nor in:

Call to action: problems after upgrading from v4.8 to 5.0?

This is not such a wonder, given that we're currently doing over 400,000 such upgrades a day (so even if it worked in 99.9% cases, for example, it would still fail for 400 people a day).

Now, we'd really to know what's going on on these problematic machines.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=55739

There aren't 400 people reporting failures a day there.

@ buttons

I do not see you over at the avast! forum requesting help:

avast! Free/Pro/Suite :)

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2.0

Yeah I have to get new account/password as I forgot which email I had it set up with. I had three email accounts for a while then I went back down to one. I also forgot exactly what my user name was. :) Looks like I may have to get a new account. :) I tried for a while to get in and wasn't sure if that was my account or someone else's I was trying to hack. :):):):)

PS: I'm feeling rather suborn right now and lazy. So I'd rather wait for time to pass and see what happens then. :)

Great thread! It needs to be stickied for those that come behind!

At this time, I've been using avast! and have been fairly pleased with it. It did let slip past the Antivirus Live fake junk. :lol: I used AVG in the past and it let me down. I am now dead set against it, but that's just me.

I love the ease to use NOD32 but it is only a 30 day free trial as is Kaspersky but it's more complex to configure. If you ever find yourself buying and want a really good AV, either of those is the way to go.