Malwarebytes stops running midway through scan

Hi there,

I've downloaded Malwarebytes free edition and ran a full scan several times.I can run a quick scan no problem but when i run full scan windows vista tells me malwarebytes has stopped working.On a few occasions a code 28 lack of stack space is mentioned or it just stops completely.I can't post any logs as i don't have one to post.I'm currently using superantispyware and windows defender too.i've tried disabling defender but to no avail.I've deleted and reinstalled malwarebytes and that hasn't fixed the issue either.

Any advice will be appreciated.

You may try adding exceptions in your antivirus software and firewall for malwarebytes. Also before you run a full scan you may try clearing out temp files using a program like CCleaner. Listed below are the files that need to be excluded in your firewall and antivirus program.

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

I followed your instructions and ran a scan which was stopped after 30mins after windows said malwarebytes has stopped due to a problem with it. There was no error code. I then disconnected from the internet,disabled avast,firewall and defender and ran other scan only for it stop with the error code 721 (0, 28). I also use CCleaner and Defraggler regularly too.

Well that was a long shot .... Normally Avast does not cause problems working with AV, then again all computers are different.

Go HERE for a list of error codes.

Your error code is: Error 721: An unknown error occurred during filesystem enumeration. Contact support.

If uninstalling and running the mbam clean tool does not solve it, you will probably have to contact support.

Also maybe one of the programs may see your post and help you out.

Do you have any other apps running at the time the you run a full scan?

• Root Admin

Let's just have someone take a look for Malware that may be the cause.

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

I did a full scan with all security disabled and had no apps running earlier although i have used windows media player or firefox whilst running a full scan.I can run a basic scan no problem,just not a full scan. The first ever scan i did with malwarebytes picked up 2 trojans so i will continue to use malwarebytes but not for a full scan,for that i'll continue to use Superantispyware as i've had no issues with it.

13/01/2010 4:19:32 PM

mbam-log-2010-01-13 (16-19-32).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan

Objects scanned: 103625

Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 51 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0

Memory Modules Infected: 0

Registry Keys Infected: 0

Registry Values Infected: 0

Registry Data Items Infected: 0

Folders Infected: 0

Files Infected: 2

Memory Processes Infected:

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

C:\Windows\Tasks\{66BA574B-1E11-49b8-909C-8CC9E0E8E015}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

C:\Windows\Tasks\{35DC3473-A719-4d14-B7C1-FD326CA84A0C}.job (Trojan.Downloader) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

• Root Admin

This is not the full log from MBAM.

Please try the following.

Download and install CCleaner
  • CCleaner
  • Double-click on the downloaded file "ccsetup227_slim.exe" and install the application.
  • Keep the default installation folder "C:\Program Files\CCleaner"
  • Click finish when done and close ALL PROGRAMS
  • Start the CCleaner program.
  • Click on Registry and Uncheck Registry Integrity so that it does not run (basically the very top, uncheck it)
  • Click on Options - Advanced and Uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours"
  • Click back to Cleaner and under SYSTEM uncheck the Memory Dumps and Windows Log Files
  • Click on Run Cleaner button on the bottom right side of the program.
  • Click OK to any prompts

Then assuming you're running Windows XP run the following Disk Check.

You may have corrupted files on your disk. Please try running the following.

First close ALL Applications as this routine will automatically restart your computer.

Click on START - RUN and copy / paste the following entry into the box and click OK

CMD /C ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /R | SHUTDOWN /R /T 30

Then temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and try to run a Full Scan with MBAM again.