NIS 2010 + MBAM

Hi there. I'm running a Dell 1545 with Windows 7. I have quite a few programs capable of picking up whatever harmful stuff is sent my way, one of the favorites being MBAM 1.44. Needless to say I'm considering upgrading to the full version, but I'm worried about conflicts with norton Insecurity 2010, which I also run and have a year's subscription to. After doing some reading I've heard of some people have conflicts with both programs running at the same time, which makes sense. I was wondering if anyone else runs both programs fine or if there is some way that I may do so?

According to an earlier forum posting I stumbled upon: adding a few files associated with MBAM to NIS's Scan exclusions and auto-protect exclusions may or may not solve the problem. This listed exclusions are as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

I couldn't find the first in my system32 folder, which makes me wonder if it's elsewhere or what. But I have added every other file to both exclusion folders. Any other help would be greatly appreciated. I strongly hope to have both products running.

Hello ManBearPig, and welcome to Malwarebytes....

First you will get the edit feature after your post count reaches 50.

Second, your antivirus will work with malwarebytes so long as you add the exclusions in the right locations as listed below. Also if you have any conflicts after doing these, the folks here will get you up and going.

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Thanks a ton for your help, Firefox.

Two issues though: one being locating mbam.sys which doesn't seem to be in System32 (mbamswissarmy.sys is in both System32 and SysWoW64, however).

And I can access the ProgramData folder via typing the location in but not through Norton or navigating through C: . Any idea why? I imagine I'll need to enable viewing hidden files, if so: can you walk me through that?

To enable the viewing of hidden and protected system files in Windows 7 please follow these steps:

1. Close all programs so that you are at your desktop.

2. Click on the Start button. Located (Orb) in the lower left corner of your screen that has a Windows flag on it.

3. Click on the Control Panel menu option.

4. When the control panel opens look for Appearance and Personalization link.

5. Click on the Appearance and Personalization link.

6. You will now be in the Appearance and Personalization control panel.

7. Now click on the Show hidden files and folders option.

8. Under the Hidden files and folders section select the radio button labeled Show hidden files, folders, and drives.

9. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide extensions for known file types.

10. Remove the checkmark from the checkbox labeled Hide protected operating system files (Recommended).

11. Press the Apply button and then the OK button.

You will now be at your desktop and Windows 7 will be configured to show all hidden files.

You may want to undo the changes once you are done, to help prevent you deleting stuff from folder you shouldn't be deleting from.

Hello ManBearPig, and welcome to Malwarebytes....

First you will get the edit feature after your post count reaches 50.

Second, your antivirus will work with malwarebytes so long as you add the exclusions in the right locations as listed below. Also if you have any conflicts after doing these, the folks here will get you up and going.

Please exclude the following files from your antivirus:

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For 32 bit versions Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Please post back and let us know how it went.

Hi, Firefox:

Same question here.

Looking to upgrade to MBAM 1.44 Paid on both computers (specs below) (Vista 32 running McAfee and W7 32 running WISE).

Even with all the hidden files/folders (including the OS files) set to "view", I cannot find all the files you list: cannot locate the *.ref file on the Vista machine, and cannot find that one or the "swissarmy" file on the W7 machine (though I can find it on the Vista machine if I type the path into the search box from explorer).

My install of MBAM 1.44 Free was uneventful on both machines, but I realize there are some issues, esp with the ISSs and MBAM Pro running together at startup.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

daledoc1

My bad, there is a typo in there, the rules file for Vista and Windows 7 is located in:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

and as far as the mbam.sys maybe an expert or developer can help us on that one, I too can not find it from the Antivirus program to exclude it even though I am going to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys, but if I use Windows Explorer I can find the file listed just fine in the same folder.

EDIT: maybe its something in the 64bit version of windows cause I see them ok in Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

My bad, there is a typo in there, the rules file for Vista and Windows 7 is located in:

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref

and as far as the mbam.sys maybe an expert or developer can help us on that one, I too can not find it from the Antivirus program to exclude it even though I am going to the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys, but if I use Windows Explorer I can find the file listed just fine in the same folder.

EDIT: maybe its something in the 64bit version of windows cause I see them ok in Windows 7 Pro 32bit.

Hi, Firefox:

OK, that works for the .REF file (at least on the Vista machine -- W7 machine is powered off at the moment).

I can find all the listed files (at least in Explorer, but I haven't tried from within the AV/Firewalls yet) on the VISTA machine, but could not find the "swissarmy" file on the W7 machine (again, just in Explorer, haven't tried from within AV/FW yet), even with hidden files/folders set to view.

Perhaps it's a different file path in Win7?

Stupid, stupid question:

I assume that, to upgrade, I can just open MBAM Free > Protection > Purchase and go from there?

IOW, I shouldn't go out to the website and purchase a full version "separately"?

Will I have to UNinstall Free, and then install Pro, or does paying for the full version merely activate features already installed in the Free version?

TIA,

daledoc1

I assume that, to upgrade, I can just open MBAM Free > Protection > Purchase and go from there?

IOW, I shouldn't go out to the website and purchase a full version "separately"?

Will I have to UNinstall Free, and then install Pro, or does paying for the full version merely activate features already installed in the Free version?

TIA,

daledoc1

To upgrade to the full version, there is no need to uninstall the free one. The free one and the full version use the same installer file. All you do is like you said, open MBAM Free > Protection > Purchase and go from there.

You could also go to Malwarebytes Main Site and click on the Green Purchase Full Version button located on the left (down about the middle of the page). Once you receive your email with your purchase info enter your ID and Key and it will unlock the full version features.

To upgrade to the full version, there is no need to uninstall the free one. The free one and the full version use the same installer file. All you do is like you said, open MBAM Free > Protection > Purchase and go from there.

You could also go to Malwarebytes Main Site and click on the Green Purchase Full Version button located on the left (down about the middle of the page). Once you receive your email with your purchase info enter your ID and Key and it will unlock the full version features.

Well, I guess I need to start a new thread -- getting firewall blockage on MBAM Pro on my W7 laptop (Free was working OK). :(

I set all the EXE exclusions, etc (they were already set from the Free install; I couldn't find the REF and SYS files in Firewall/AV, so I couldn't exclude them.

I tried manually resetting the EXE file exclusions, to no avail.

I'm going to try to disable the protection module at Windows startup for now and see if that helps.

FYI, the ISS is Webroot Internet Security Suite, not NIS.

Start a new thread?

daledoc1

if you cant get it to install, you can start a new thread if you like.

Hi, FF:

OK, the upgrade went OK and it works fine, so long as I do not enable active protection at startup.

I wait for everything to boot (and for WISE and Windows to phone home for updates), and then start active protection.

I'll probably stick with this setup for now.

If it becomes too onerous, I'll either get the registry import from DT500 (Arthur?) or try WinPatrol 17.

On the desktop that runs McAfee, I'm doing the same thing for now, since I assume (perhaps mistakenly) that I'll run into the same startup conflict.

All of which begs the question: Is anyone at MB considering adding a configuration option to the active protection settings that would allow the user to select something other than YES or NO for "run at startup", e.g. "start active protection _ minutes after startup"?

(Just a thought from a totally computer-inept old geezer...)

Thanks!

daledoc1

All of which begs the question: Is anyone at MB considering adding a configuration option to the active protection settings that would allow the user to select something other than YES or NO for "run at startup", e.g. "start active protection _ minutes after startup"?

Glad you got it working. The registry tweak would probably work just fine if you go that route.

As for your suggestion above you may try actually submitting that suggestion HERE

Hi, I've recently uploaded and gotten the paid version of Malwarebytes and I just have the same compatability question as well. I have Norton Internet Security 2010 and have noticed that they are working side by side, but for some strange reason, Norton kicked out a file which it felt was malcious. I read up on this issue and apparently in some computers it freezes them. For me it didn't. Norton just blocked the trojan and that was that. Some sort of NIS error... Can't remember the whole thing but it did block it. Just curious.

Hi Sandy -

You should run a manual quick scan to check if Malwarebytes can pick up any remaining parts of the infection -

Just click on the desktop icon (or open from Program Files) and select quick scan, update, then scan - Then read this link below on IP protection -

http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/index.p...st&p=162100

Thank You - :D

Thanks for writing back. Actually I didn't have to do that, Norton picked up the infected file before it even got on my computer and erased it just like that. Gonzo. Norton told me my computer is safe. And so far, Mbam is working like a charm for me, along side Norton Antivirus. I guess it is good to have two programs working in tandem because if one misses something the other will pick up the pieces and follow suit. I don't remember the last time my computer actually ran as fast as it does now. I noticed that I have not had any updating problems with my computer.. Could that be due to my operating system which is Windows XP? I do see that Windows 7 and Vista have shown to be a little unstable, yet good old XP works great. Too bad it got discontinued. Mbam seems to like this operating system.

Thanks for writing back. Actually I didn't have to do that, Norton picked up the infected file before it even got on my computer and erased it just like that. Gonzo. Norton told me my computer is safe. And so far, Mbam is working like a charm for me, along side Norton Antivirus. I guess it is good to have two programs working in tandem because if one misses something the other will pick up the pieces and follow suit. I don't remember the last time my computer actually ran as fast as it does now. I noticed that I have not had any updating problems with my computer.. Could that be due to my operating system which is Windows XP? I do see that Windows 7 and Vista have shown to be a little unstable, yet good old XP works great. Too bad it got discontinued. Mbam seems to like this operating system.

Sorry for double post. My bad. Anyway, my quick scan came up and nothing was found on that. I let it run every night as part of a scheduled scan, and my updater is up to date. I guess this means I'm okay and I need not do any fancy stuff at the moment.. I hope. Anyway, so far so good.