MBAM on Vista Ult SP2 (32) running McAfee Secuirty Center?

Hi:

Y'all were SO very helpful in getting MBAM 1.44 installed and running properly on my W7 laptop, I'm now prepared to install on my Vista Ult SP2 (32) desktop PC running OEM McAfee Security Center (v9), VirusScan (v13), Personal Firewall, Anti-Spam, Parental Control (No Site Advisor).

The only other security product on the system is Counterspy 3.1 (manual scans only).

Windows FW and Windows Defender are disabled.

I noted in the FAQs specific instructions for McAfee VirusScan 8 ENTERPRISE, but nothing that applies to my HOME USER suite that includes VirusScan 13 and Security Center 9.

Aside from the general recommendations to temporarily disable the firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware during install, and to set as many firewall exclusions as possible, does anyone have any SPECIFIC tips?

Or is there additional info somewhere else on the boards that I just didn't find?

Your assistance is most sincerely appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

daledoc1

Aside from the general recommendations to temporarily disable the firewall, anti-virus and anti-malware during install, and to set as many firewall exclusions as possible, does anyone have any SPECIFIC tips?

Or is there additional info somewhere else on the boards that I just didn't find?

The consumer editions of McAfee (at least the last time I checked) do not have an exclusions list. If there is a conflict that causes freezing on startup, then I can give you a .reg file that will tell Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to wait 10 seconds to start it's protection module.

On Vista there are usually less complications, as the protection module will not start until most of the other services (including the McAfee protection) are already running. This really helps prevent freezing issues on Vista with pretty much any anti-virus.

The consumer editions of McAfee (at least the last time I checked) do not have an exclusions list.

Hello, GT500:

Thanks for your quick response.

Actually, I think they *do*? (See the attached screenshots) There seems to be the ability to add programs to the exclusion list of the FW and even to add programs to the "trusted" list for the AV. Unless I am misinterpreting what I'm seeing in these dialog boxes? What do you think?

If there is a conflict that causes freezing on startup, then I can give you a .reg file that will tell Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to wait 10 seconds to start it's protection module.

Sorry, I'm not a computer geek, so I'm not sure what you're talking about, what it would do, or how I would apply it. Overall, I'm not particularly ecstatic about any "regedit" interventions, if I can avoid it (system restore points and other protections notwithstanding). :)

On Vista there are usually less complications, as the protection module will not start until most of the other services (including the McAfee protection) are already running. This really helps prevent freezing issues on Vista with pretty much any anti-virus.

That's good to know about Vista. The McAfee Suite was OEM, and would not ever have been my first choice. Largely b/c of bad "childhood experiences" with uninstalling and replacing ISSs, I've stuck with it for the past year, with little problem. I hate to rock the boat or corrupt anything that's currently working OK. That said, I don't really trust McAfee for its level of protection, which is why I also use Counterspy for an added layer. Unlike the old days, when one typically loaded up one's system with 5 or 6 AV/AM products, these days I realize there can be too much of a good thing.

Anyway, I'd like to try to install MBAM on this system.

And I *think* I can either automatically or manually set at least the major .exe exclusions in McAfee.

So perhaps I'll swallow hard, set a rollback point, back everything up, and give it a whirl...

BTW, I'm planning only to install the free version at first, since I don't plan to use the active protection feature; I'll probably leave that to McAfee for now.

If all goes well, then I will upgrade (but will still probably disable the MBAM active protection mode, to avoid conflicts.)

I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Well, you can add the following files to the "Trusted Programs" list:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

And the following files to any sort of other excluded files list, if it has one:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbam.sys

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Hi, daledoc1. Let me just say that I've been running McAfee Enterprise and MBAM Pro with real-time protection enabled for over a year, and all is going smoothly after I followed Malwarebytes' instructions about adding some items to McAfee's exclusions list and setting MBAM to start on a delayed startup (since I'm on WinXP, not on Vista). I've had no interference between McAfee's protection and MBAM's. Bear in mind that MBAM is set to supplement what an antivirus program does, to detect the kinds of malware that many antivirus programs miss.

Hi, daledoc1. Let me just say that I've been running McAfee Enterprise and MBAM Pro with real-time protection enabled for over a year, and all is going smoothly after I followed Malwarebytes' instructions about adding some items to McAfee's exclusions list and setting MBAM to start on a delayed startup (since I'm on WinXP, not on Vista). I've had no interference between McAfee's protection and MBAM's. Bear in mind that MBAM is set to supplement what an antivirus program does, to detect the kinds of malware that many antivirus programs miss.

Hi, whatme...:

That's good to hear. :)

Funny that XP is more problematic than Vista. (I was dragged kicking and screaming into buying this machine @ Xmas 2008 when my 8-year old XP PC finally needed the HDD wiped, and it wasn't worth it (slow, little RAM, no DVD drive), wanted to wait for W7. Overall, for my needs, Vista hasn't been all that bad, but it still stinks, compared to my new W7 Pro laptop.)

I *think* I can blunder my way through adding the exe files (and perhaps the sys & dll files) to the exclusions (I think -- have yet to attempt something like this with McAfee). (The ISS on my laptop -- Webroot ISE -- would only let me add MBAM's EXE files, not the DLL, SYS or REG files, but it seems to be working OK.)

But I'm not sure about the "delayed startup" thing -- if I understand you and DT500 correctly, I shouldn't need to do this with Vista?

Was that the REG file DT500 was referring to earlier, IOW, it's not a setting in the MBAM configuration, but rather some sort of programming change I'd have to implement?

And when you say "delayed startup", that would only apply if I configure MBAM to run at startup, so that it won't try to load at the same time McAfee is loading?

If I'm not running it at startup (regardless of the OS), then I shouldn't need the delayed startup?

And, just to be sure I understand, you run active protection with MBAM *and* active protection with McAfee simultaneously? (I understand the thing about MBAM adding a layer to catch pests not routinely caught by standard AV; but I thought that running *2* programs with active protection can create problems. Or is that just firewalls? Or does it vary, case by case, depending on *which* products are running?)

Assuming I can figure all this out (with everyone's outstanding help! :) ), I think the steps are:

1) Set a rollback point (just in case);

1A) Set folder options to "view hidden files and folders"

2) Download (but don't run) MBAM (and for extra measure the MBAM-cleaner tool, just in case);

3) Temporarily disable the McAfee FW, AV and as many "shields" as I can (and ignore the nasty prompts from McAfee);

4) Install MBAM;

5) Manually exclude the MBAM EXE files (and the others, if possible) in McAfee FW and AV, and add MB to the "trusted publisher" list;

6) Open MBAM and try to update defs, configure settings, run a scan, etc.;

7) Enable the McAfee security settings;

8) Reset the default for folder options to hide the hidden files and folders

9) Cross my fingers and toes?

Did I forget any important steps? Or is anything totally wrong?

Sorry to be so dumb, but I'm just an old geezer who's been burned so many times over the years with computers (esp security apps), that I am bit overly cautious now, esp with Vista. I try to be pro-active when I can, rather than having to panic in the middle of the night with a BSOD.

Thanks in advance!

Everyone has been most helpful here at this board!

daledoc1

But I'm not sure about the "delayed startup" thing -- if I understand you and DT500 correctly, I shouldn't need to do this with Vista?

Was that the REG file DT500 was referring to earlier, IOW, it's not a setting in the MBAM configuration, but rather some sort of programming change I'd have to implement?

And when you say "delayed startup", that would only apply if I configure MBAM to run at startup, so that it won't try to load at the same time McAfee is loading?

If I'm not running it at startup (regardless of the OS), then I shouldn't need the delayed startup?

There is a registry import that I can send to you in a private message (we don't like to post it publicly) that can delay the startup of the protection module. This is needed with McAfee because it runs a scan on startup that does not respect it's own exclusions list. This shouldn't be an issue in Vista though, as out protection module already starts after McAfee does, and thus the possibility of conflict is minimized.

I *think* I can blunder my way through adding the exe files (and perhaps the sys & dll files) to the exclusions (I think -- have yet to attempt something like this with McAfee). (The ISS on my laptop -- Webroot ISE -- would only let me add MBAM's EXE files, not the DLL, SYS or REG files, but it seems to be working OK.)

Your McAfee setup is VERY different from mine. I was able to add all the files Malwarebytes suggested, and perhaps you can as well, it's not clear. But certainly you should be able to add the .EXE files.

I see Arthur (GT500) has offered to send you a registry import that can delay the startup, though as he points out, it may not be needed in Vista. Delayed startup is very helpful in WinXP, though I set delayed startup very easily without messing with the registry--I use the VERY useful program WinPatrol PLUS, and it will set delayed startups for you if you ask it to. (It's a terrific program in lots of ways and is one of the very first programs I put on any computer.) However, getting back to your question, if you don't run MBAM at startup, there's no need to try to set a delayed startup.

And, just to be sure I understand, you run active protection with MBAM *and* active protection with McAfee simultaneously? (I understand the thing about MBAM adding a layer to catch pests not routinely caught by standard AV; but I thought that running *2* programs with active protection can create problems. Or is that just firewalls? Or does it vary, case by case, depending on *which* products are running?)

Yes, you understood me correctly. I'm running both MBAM with active protection and McAfee antivirus with active protection. While you're right in thinking that you shouldn't run two antivirus programs simultaneously or two firewalls simultaneously, MBAM is neither an antivirus program nor a firewall. It's an anti-malware program that is specifically designed to work WITH these other programs and, especially, to supplement the antivirus program. So yes, you can run it in real-time along with McAfee. Of course, only the paid version of MBAM offers the real-time protection. That's the version I have.

Assuming I can figure all this out (with everyone's outstanding help! :) ), I think the steps are:

1) Set a rollback point (just in case);

1A) Set folder options to "view hidden files and folders"

2) Download (but don't run) MBAM (and for extra measure the MBAM-cleaner tool, just in case);

3) Temporarily disable the McAfee FW, AV and as many "shields" as I can (and ignore the nasty prompts from McAfee);

4) Install MBAM;

5) Manually exclude the MBAM EXE files (and the others, if possible) in McAfee FW and AV, and add MB to the "trusted publisher" list;

6) Open MBAM and try to update defs, configure settings, run a scan, etc.;

7) Enable the McAfee security settings;

8) Reset the default for folder options to hide the hidden files and folders

9) Cross my fingers and toes?

On the whole, the above looks about right. Certainly you're wise to set a restore point first. Since I always have my computer set to view hidden files and folders, I've never thought about step 1A, nor am I sure why it would be necessary for installing MBAM, but it can't hurt. In step 3, I'm not sure what additional "shields" you have in mind. I would think that disabling the AV and FW should be sufficient, unless you've got some other real-time security software running. As for steps 4 and 5, I think I did those in the reverse order--excluding the files in McAfee first and then installing MBAM. But if you're not able to do that until the program is actually installed, obviously you need to do step 4 before step 5. But you might try adding the exclusions first and see whether that works. BTW, for what it's worth, I don't think I set any exclusions in my firewall (Outpost Pro), just in McAfee antivirus.

Once you've got MBAM installed, you should update the definitions and run a scan. I don't recall there being all that much to set as far as settings are concerned. I think I just went with what was set by default. Oh, and in case you don't already know this, MBAM claims that a Quick Scan is really all that's needed. Repeatedly, people from the company have said that there's rarely reason to run a full scan.

As for #8, there are likely to be other times when you may want to see all your computer's files, so why not just leave the hidden files and folders visible? And yes, step 9 is critical. Crossing your eyes as well may give added protection. :)

Sorry to be so dumb, but I'm just an old geezer who's been burned so many times over the years with computers (esp security apps), that I am bit overly cautious now, esp with Vista. I try to be pro-active when I can, rather than having to panic in the middle of the night with a BSOD.

You don't seem at all dumb, just sensibly prudent.

Good luck!

<snip>

Yes, you understood me correctly. I'm running both MBAM with active protection and McAfee antivirus with active protection. While you're right in thinking that you shouldn't run two antivirus programs simultaneously or two firewalls simultaneously, MBAM is neither an antivirus program nor a firewall. It's an anti-malware program that is specifically designed to work WITH these other programs and, especially, to supplement the antivirus program. So yes, you can run it in real-time along with McAfee. Of course, only the paid version of MBAM offers the real-time protection. That's the version I have.

"I see," said the blind (wo)man, as she picked up her hammer and saw! :)

Makes sense!

<snip>

Once you've got MBAM installed, you should update the definitions and run a scan. <snip>

Well, so far, so good.

Install went fine, GUI opened fine, updated fine, quick scan ran fine (clean) and so did deep scan (also clean).

So, it looks to be working fine. :)

I'll stick with "free" for a few days, to make sure it's all OK, and then I'll upgrade, at least on this machine.

(I have a sneaking suspicion that the Webroot ISE on my Win7 laptop may not be as friendly as McAfee has been, in terms of playing well with others. But, if I don't configure MBAM to "load at startup", then perhaps I can avoid any startup issues...)

Thanks for your help!

I really appreciate the hand-holding!

Daledoc1

I too run McAfee Enterprise, and the only way to make sure it runs smoothly together is to have the delayed start.

I'll stick with "free" for a few days, to make sure it's all OK, and then I'll upgrade, at least on this machine.

(I have a sneaking suspicion that the Webroot ISE on my Win7 laptop may not be as friendly as McAfee has been, in terms of playing well with others. But, if I don't configure MBAM to "load at startup", then perhaps I can avoid any startup issues...)

Yes, starting MBAM's protection manually is another way to avoid any startup conflicts. I used to use that method when I was having conflicts. You don't really lose anything by starting MBAM this way, especially if you start it (including the protection module) soon after startup.

I too run McAfee Enterprise, and the only way to make sure it runs something together is to have the delayed start.

Hi, Firefox:

It's me again!

:)

I actually started this thread several days ago about MBAM and my other computer's ISS (McAfee).

Given that the WISE FW is blocking MBAM at startup on my Win7 laptop (see other thread, just started), I'm reluctant to upgrade on this other computer for the same reason. So, I am picking up this thread again....

FWIW, I this is NOT McAfee Enterprise -- it's OEM Consumer Security Suite (VirusScan 13, Security Center 9, Anti-Spam, Firewall, Parental Control) on my Dell desktop PC. MBAM Free 1.44 is working just fine.

From what you suggest, McAfee is going to misbehave with MBAM Pro at startup, as well, just like Webroot?

So, I will have to either:

1) Disable MBAM to run at Windows startup?

or

2) Install the reg tweak and hope that resolves the conflict?

or

3) Something else?

I'm impressed with your product and with the helpful folks here at the forum and at MB, so I'd like to add the protection module.

But since this is my main workhorse computer (and since it runs <!!!> Vista Ult SP2 32), I can't afford any hangups/conflicts/crashes/BSODs.

So, before I upgrade to MBAM Pro, I'd appreciate your recommendations.

Thanks!

daledoc1

I'm impressed with your product and with the helpful folks here at the forum and at MB, so I'd like to add the protection module.

But since this is my main workhorse computer (and since it runs <!!!> Vista Ult SP2 32), I can't afford any hangups/conflicts/crashes/BSODs.

So, before I upgrade to MBAM Pro, I'd appreciate your recommendations.

There should be no need to do anything to help compatibility on Vista. I don't think that there will be any need to plan ahead in this case, but if there is an issue then it can be easily fixed. :)