Error 732(12029,0)

Hi ghinfla,

Sorry about that. I seem to have pointed you to the wrong section in my previous post.

Please do the following to see if it corrects the updating problem:

Step 1: Verify Internet Connectivity of Internet Explorer:

• Click on Start and select Run
  • In the Run box copy and paste the text in the following code box exactly as written and press Enter or click on OK:
    REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings" /v GlobalUserOffline /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

• Try updating again and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 2

Step 2: Exclude Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware's Files and Folders From Other Active Security Programs:

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbam.sys
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\System32\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista or Windows 7:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\zlib.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.dll
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamext.dll
  • C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\rules.ref
  • C:\Windows\SysWoW64\drivers\mbamswissarmy.sys

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products.

Now try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware once more and if it does not work then please proceed to Step 3

Step 3: Verify Your Internet Connection Settings:

• Open Internet Explorer
    • Note: It MUST be Internet Explorer, not Firefox, Opera, Chrome or any other internet browser

[*]Click on Tools at the top and select Internet Options

• Note: If you do not see Tools, press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will show up

[*]Click on the Connections tab

[*]Click on the LAN settings button

[*]Under Automatic configuration make sure that the box next to Automatically detect settings is checked, if it is not, then click the box next to it to check it

[*]Under Proxy server make sure that the box next to Use a proxy server for your LAN (These settings will not apply to dial-up or VPN connections) is not checked and if it is, click the box next to it to uncheck it

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Local Area Network (LAN) Settings window

[*]Click on the OK button to close the Internet Options window

[*]Try updating Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware again to see if it now works correctly

Please let me know how it goes.

Ok so I'm from Oklahoma and may be a little slow, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by excluding the files in Step 2. I have uninstalled all other security software and restored the system to a previous date when I thought Malwarebytes worked.

Hi rezrunner and Welcome -

Do you still get a 732 error notice when you try to update - Try an update first - Also are you on Dial up or Broadband -

The sooner you reply the sooner we can explain this to you -

Can you please also add which Antivirus program you use and if you use another firewall apart from standard Windows -

Thank you = :D

EDIT - Is there a reason why you are trying this - (Please use Add Reply or Fast Reply button for your answers) - :)

Hi rezrunner and Welcome -

Do you still get a 732 error notice when you try to update - Try an update first - Also are you on Dial up or Broadband -

The sooner you reply the sooner we can explain this to you -

Can you please also add which Antivirus program you use and if you use another firewall apart from standard Windows -

Thank you = :D

EDIT - Is there a reason why you are trying this - (Please use Add Reply or Fast Reply button for your answers) - :)

I have tried all the previously outlined steps... making sure my firewall was cool with mbam.exe, my antivirus program wasn't giving any issues... I even disabled both of them. IE is set to automatically detect settings... clean install of MBAM... still getting the issue of the Error 732 (12029,0) code. A guy named Arthur at the support e-mail had been trying to help, even getting me to download a TCP checking program (forget its name) to make sure mbam.exe was able to connect out through my firewall, and it was. That was a week ago, and I haven't heard from him since (he said he'd check into it for me... just e-mailed him a minute ago to see what happened to him). I've noticed on download.com that one or two other people, via the reviews, are having the same issue. Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? And, for the time being, where can I download the current definitions? I looked for a link through the main web page but all you can do there is download the main program. Thanks in advance!

I have tried all the previously outlined steps... making sure my firewall was cool with mbam.exe, my antivirus program wasn't giving any issues... I even disabled both of them. IE is set to automatically detect settings... clean install of MBAM... still getting the issue of the Error 732 (12029,0) code. A guy named Arthur at the support e-mail had been trying to help, even getting me to download a TCP checking program (forget its name) to make sure mbam.exe was able to connect out through my firewall, and it was. That was a week ago, and I haven't heard from him since (he said he'd check into it for me... just e-mailed him a minute ago to see what happened to him). I've noticed on download.com that one or two other people, via the reviews, are having the same issue. Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? And, for the time being, where can I download the current definitions? I looked for a link through the main web page but all you can do there is download the main program. Thanks in advance!

Oops.. I forgot. I'm running Cosimodo Firewall/Defense+ and Avast! Antivirus 5.

Welcome Stu -

If you have recently updated to Avast 5 , I have noticed there may be a small problem with it (see Avast forum) - Arthur (GT500 on the forum) knows about these things and will be your best guide through this - He is an expert in these matters - If he is handling this , then could you please give him a bit more time -

Thank You - :D

EDIT - Please hit Fast Reply or Add Reply when you answer - Thank you -

Thanks for the quick reply... Arthur just got back to me, too.

As far as Avast! is concerned, this was happening with the previous version (4.8 for me), too, not just ver. 5. And again, it was doing it with Avast and Cosimodo disabled, so version number (at least for me) doesn't appear to be the issue.

Thanks.

Stu

Hi Stu -

Do you have a "kid safe browsing" setting activated - This is also a Known problem with the (12029) Microsoft error message - The 732 is from Malwarebytes to say you could not access our updates, but the other half of the message is from Microsoft and can prevent you from accessing many sites on the internet - Without any information I would guess you run XP with a wireless router in your house (or at least I should be partially right) -

The router settings can also be blocking if the security is set too high - You may be able to get to many sites but it can also block some sites -

As these are known problems -

Nope, no kid-safe browsing active (at least that I know of... I don't have any of those programs and never set it up in Vista).

I'm running Vista (after a new System Recovery install), and I connect through the college I'm teaching at here in China.

At first, I thought that it could be blocked by China or the school... but again, I ran that TCP program Arthur had me run... I forget the exact name, but it "sniffed" all the incoming/outgoing TCP connections, and it said I was able to connect out (it was highlighted in green and when I sent the info to Arthur, he said it looked fine). So I can't see it being that the server is being blocked on my end. Not sure why I hadn't thought of that before, but I just sent that info on to Arthur in case that IS the problem.

And do you know where I can get the manual update for the definition file? Thanks.

Stu

To both links above I got the message...

I don't use IE I use Firefox so IE and it's settings don't enter the equation.

If I can can use the internet quite successfully, as I'm doing right now, with no problems with any downloads except Malwarebytes, the only logical conclusion I can reach is that the fault lies in Malwarebytes.

To prove my point I just downloaded the latest Avast database and then tried to download the Malwarebytes database.....

Sigh!, which just successfully updated the database from Ver 3510 to Ver 3581, Oh well, Such is life.

I could have deleted this post so I wouldn't look like an idiot, but I chose to leave it so that anyone else who has the same problem knows that they're not alone.

I don't know why for 3 days I couldn't update, I just kept getting the message, error 732(2,0), then on the fourth day it works as if nothing was wrong!

Yeah. For security reasons, some time ago I did uninstall servicepacks to be able to uninstall Internet Explorer and reinstall back those servicespacks. Now!! Surprise! I had to reinstall Internet Explorer to be able to update Malwarebytes but neither this work. I'm still unable to update Malwarebytes... :D Now... to rollback everything, including Malwarebytes... since it has an odd way to get updated. This remembers me those odd updates from Adobe...

Read Issue #4 from the link below - It is updated often but not as often as the main board -

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?s...ost&p=49525

A quick one - What version do you have at the moment - (From memory about 1.44 -version 3640 ??) -

EDIT - Back in 15 mins - Feeding time in Australia - Almost 7.00PM -

This looks well hidden, why? I think that latest databatese versions should be very* downloadable, as it happens with any good software, so that you can reach then in case of any problem.

*This means to be reachable or at a very visible or immediate location. I got at it after an hour or so to be looking around for a workaround to my impossibility to get updated...

@ nadamas -

- I updated 6 hours ago - Version 3639 was the latest at that time - Any versions below that need to be updated now -

@ nadamas - If you look above this section And click on General Malwarebytes Anti Malware Forum You Will see a section that contains Pinned items and FAQ section

Well, like I said, I don't have a router. I plug directly into this school's ethernet. Unfortunately, even though I'm a foreigner AND a teacher, I still get blocked and censored from the same web pages as everyone else. So if the MB server(s) is/are being blocked by the school/China, nothing I can really do about it.

Well, like I said, I don't have a router. I plug directly into this school's ethernet. Unfortunately, even though I'm a foreigner AND a teacher, I still get blocked and censored from the same web pages as everyone else. So if the MB server(s) is/are being blocked by the school/China, nothing I can really do about it.
Here we go over another page -

We have had people with Blocking from inside China at other times - Can you cut a CD, or D/load to a flash from Issue #4 that I mentioned in the earlier post - You can do this once a week and still be almost up to date -

Thanks - :D

Yeah, I may just do that... keep a link to the manual update download and do that every time before scanning. I only scan once a week (unless I think there's a problem), so it's not that big of a hassle.

Why would China want to block MB updating? Especially since I can get to MB's web page and everything. Unbelievable.

We'll need a traceroute from your computer to the CDN, so please download the utility at the following link:

http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/traceroute_m...rebytes_cdn.exe

Run that utility, and it will start the traceroute and save the output to a log in the root of the drive you save it on. When it's done, it will open the log in Notepad, and all you have to do is copy and paste the contents of the log into a reply. If you do not want to post your traceroute (with your IP address) publicly, then you may send it to me in a private message.

• 5 weeks later...
@ KAKTUS -

Please note that you are always welcome to ask any valid questions - We may see you back later -

Thank You - :)

EDIT - :) Thanks for paying (a bit) of attention -

I haven't been able to update MWB for nearly a month, and I do load IE first.

Last Error Message was, Error Code(12031,0)

So I go back to my original post, What is the point of any software free or not that can't be reliably updated, It doesn't imspire confidence that it is up to the job?

I just downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, also free, and it found 5 tracking cookies, no big deal, and 2 Trojans that MWB missed.

I'm not the only person that has this problem with MWB, maybe get it operating reliably first, Then release it.

Me I've had enough, I've deleted it.

Why don't you have a software friendly assistance to assist us who don't know how to configure our own computer to use your malwarbytes. I is a waste of my money, and poor marketing on your part, to seel a product that does not work when I install it.

Since it does not update, can I get a refund?

Thx

Manuel

Computer illiterate

(801) 973-0655

• Root Admin
Why don't you have a software friendly assistance to assist us who don't know how to configure our own computer to use your malwarbytes. I is a waste of my money, and poor marketing on your part, to seel a product that does not work when I install it.

Since it does not update, can I get a refund?

Thx

Manuel

Computer illiterate

(801) 973-0655

Well we can certainly process a refund for you if you like, but it would probably be in your best interest to have us assist you getting it to work and make sure you're not infected.

If you do want a refund then please submit and request to the Help Desk with your Cleverbridge reference number and they will assist you.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/contact.php

• 7 months later...
I haven't been able to update MWB for nearly a month, and I do load IE first.

Last Error Message was, Error Code(12031,0)

So I go back to my original post, What is the point of any software free or not that can't be reliably updated, It doesn't imspire confidence that it is up to the job?

I just downloaded SuperAntiSpyware, also free, and it found 5 tracking cookies, no big deal, and 2 Trojans that MWB missed.

I'm not the only person that has this problem with MWB, maybe get it operating reliably first, Then release it.

Me I've had enough, I've deleted it.

I have been running MWB ver 1.46 for about 2 months now without any problems with updating files.

I've made no changes to my computer or my browser (Firefox), So it would seem that the bug that caused Error Code(12031,0) has been cured in the software.

Good work.

The 700 series error codes were abandoned with the release of version 1.45.

If you happen to get a 700 series error, please uninstall and then re-install the program using the following method:

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.
  2. Restart your computer (very important).
  3. Download and run this utility. MBAM-CLEAN.EXE
  4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).
  5. After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and Firewall, then install the latest version from here

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration.
Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again

If you continue to have updating problems after doing this, please start a new topic.

This particular topic is no longer germane so I am closing it.