Summer 2024

NewTricks

5 hours ago, nukecad said:

can be bought as powder

Good information because I've returned to making jewelry. A cheap readily available fix for temporarily brightening silver is TOOTHPASTE! yup, it works too.

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

The finer versions are called 'Polishing compound'

Your entire post is "news I can use" for the car as well. Thanks for hanging in here to give me what I crave most, information.

Ketchup (red or brown) is also good for cleaning tarnished metals, coins, etc

Just spread it on, leave an hour or two and wash it off.

Also works for the white calcium/limescale build up you can get on bathroom/kitchen sink fittings, but best coated thicker and left longer for that job. The vinegar in the ketchup reacts chemicaly with the calcium and it's gone.

PS. Coke also works, but it runs off. Drop some tarnished coins in a small glass of coke for a while and see, don't drink it afterwards.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, nukecad said:

don't drink it afterwards.

🤣

ooooooo, new tricks for tarnished metal! YEAH!  I'm inclined now to drag out the vinegar and experiment. I will not buy Calcium Lime and Rust cleaner.

In vinegar, and so ketchups, mayonaise, etc. it's Acetic acid.

They are all dilute acids and all do the job of cleaning various things by chemical action.

PS. Getting back to rubbing/polishing compounds, normal kitchen baking soda makes a good one as well as having many other uses other than baking.
https://www.goodhousekeeping.com/home/cleaning/tips/a25577/baking-soda-cleaning-uses/

@NewTricks you might have a use for this one:

22. Brighten dull jewelry

When your sterling silver stops shining, get rid of tarnish by making a
paste (three parts baking soda to one part water). Apply it with a lint-free
cloth (not a paper towel, which can scratch) and rinse.

No need for fancy store bought cleaners when you already have the stuff that will do the job in your kitchen, and usually for a fraction of the cost.
And it's usually what's in the expensive brand name cleaners anyway.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, nukecad said:

In vinegar, and so ketchups, mayonaise, etc. it's Acetic acid.

Yes, sir.  The difference with Citric acid is it is sold as crystals where you can control the percent in solution unlike acetic acid which is usually sold as 5% or less.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 1

Very, very helpful @nukecad & @David H. Lipman. Thanks for the comments and links.

I'm a fan of baking soda already, but can always expand the repertoire. I'll see if I can find the Citric Acid too.

Our vinegar discussion yielded great results. One corner of the kitchen sink was growing stubborn "something." I buy Scotch pads, both blue and green and used Bar Keeper's Friend, soda, even  alcohol.  Nothing worked. I poured straight vinegar on it, left it for 20 minutes, and now pristine. Fortunately, I already buy vinegar by the gallon, (although I've never made the same mistake transferring it to quart bottles 😉) it's my "go to" not only IN the washer, but for cleaning the public machines here before use. Tenants have little dogs, and their hair plus who knows what else is left behind.

I'm open to suggestions for Produce Wash. I've used Bioclean for years and years. Now it's out of stock everywhere. The places that do have it are price gouging. I'm gonna go with dish soap and a good rinse. I hate all the other washes because they have a fragrance. Perhaps this is a temporary issue. I really miss it. 

Bioclean.jpg

One effort to reclaim my former life and activities before BC.

Here's a composite of a bead pattern I've been attempted to conquer for  6 years. I never totally understood it until Sunday. I stopped at row 21.

Photo shows beginning of page 1 and the end of page 2 instructions. I already know if I want to create more complex patterns, I'll have to do 6 or more.

Earrings, to match a hot pink fleece coat.

Cooper21.jpg

• Like 1

Early morning exertion with heart pounding walking uphill is a great way to start the day & do a bit of sightseeing. It may not last, but going with it while it does. 

If fairy godmothers were real & could grant wishes, I'd be sipping coffee on  my porch here.

BristolSt.jpg

• Like 1

Victorian architecture

Ocean Grove, NJ

Ocean Grove is noted for its abundant examples of Victorian architecture and the Great Auditorium, acclaimed as "the state’s most wondrous wooden structure, soaring and sweeping, alive with the sound of music".[14]

The Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association controls all architecture within this beach side municipality (now a part of Neptune Township) and one can not modify their building without their permission.  Everything from Gingerbread to what paint colour is allowed.  This town has kept its flavour and is a favourite summering place of CNBC's Jim Cramer.

The Ocean Grove Camp Meeting Association used to control everything included Sunday Blue Laws.  At one time you could not play a radio, ride a bike, drive a car, etc., on Sundays.  While Blue Laws are no longer the case it helped create this community's special architectural character.  

One of the problems is home town architectural homogenization brought on by chain based stores that require their franchises to look "standardized" which destroys home town architectural flavour.  Not true in Ocean Grove. 

Drive through this quaint town and you will love its architectural style and colours.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Drive through this quaint town and you will love its architectural style and colours.

Hopefully one day....I looked at this last year and was impressed by the "flavor." It matters when these communities are preserved.

That's why new builds don't appeal to me. Same old, same old, but there are exceptions. While the house above is definitely a new build, they have retained some of the features prized by former generations. Home design, much like car design, has taken a turn for the bland.

• Like 1

Inspired by my recent success, this pattern is next. My white and pink was purely free form, to see if I identified the correct thread path.

This will kick it up a notch, and if I prevail, I'll make the usual hanging ornaments for holiday gifts, in various colors, 3 months from now. Go NewTricks!

RedonRed.jpg

• Like 1