Trojan.FakeMBAM.Silent

Got a random detection today from an MBAM automatic scan that suggests infection by a random trojan with the FakeMBAM tag.

Ran multiple  quick scans with every anti-virus and anti-malware solution I could think of:

• MBAM
  • Sophos Scan and Clean
  • HitmanPro
  • NPE
  • Adwcleaner
  • Roguekiller
  • KVRT

All came back clean, is this safe to assume it's some kind of false positive?

Malwarebytes detection history itself lists the detection as 

Trojan.FakeMBAM.Silent STRING-NOT-ADDED C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\TMP\MBCUT.DLL-K.MBAM

Trojan.FakeMBAM.Silent, C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\TMP\MBCUT.DLL-K.MBAM, Delete-on-Reboot, 12247, 1240213, 0.0.0, , ame, , 0834E8D45B5AA240DD92F7FD34DE0ECE, 84D7060E2B23608B9ECBE2046F1BD3F05E24F7FBBFB38AE40A724318020592C6

Malwarebytes Scan Report 2024-04-19 210909.txt

2 minutes ago, SSG_Kitami said:

Got a random detection today from an MBAM automatic scan that suggests infection by a random trojan with the FakeMBAM tag.

Rootkits: Enabled

Given you had rootkit scanning enabled, that might be the reason since this reads usermode with kernelmode version and when a file is in use at the time, it might see a difference here. This doesn't mean it's a rootkit though. This might just happen when the file is in use. Sometimes this also gives unpredictable results as that engine works slightly different. This is exactly why rootkit scanning is disabled by default when you install Malwarebytes. Also because our current engines are powerful enough already to deal with rootkits even when rootkit scanning is disabled.

Rootkit scanning is not enabled by default. You may want to disable that unless you think you have a rootkit infection.

Rootkit scanning is really aggressive and does ignore some whitelisting which can result in false positives. 
If you decide to keep rootkit scanning on, just be aware of the possibility of false positives.

I have exactly the same problem this evening . I have quarantined and deleted this many times this evening but each time I reboot and rescan, it is picked up again.

Yesterday's scan came back completely clean, it was only when I scanned this evening on booting up my pc for the first time that this trojan was detected. 

Same problem here. Went to file location, but there was nothing there.

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com

-Log Details-
Scan Date: 4/19/24
Scan Time: 9:04 PM
Log File: 55073c4a-feba-11ee-8998-00acc654d498.json

-Software Information-
Version: 4.6.11.320
Components Version: 1.0.2302
Update Package Version: 1.0.83639
License: Free

-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Shizuka\Andrew

-Scan Summary-
Scan Type: Threat Scan
Scan Initiated By: Manual
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 216970
Threats Detected: 1
Threats Quarantined: 0
Time Elapsed: 34 min, 46 sec

-Scan Options-
Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Enabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Detect
PUM: Detect

-Scan Details-
Process: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Module: 0

Registry Key: 0

Registry Value: 0

Registry Data: 0

Data Stream: 0

Folder: 0

File: 1
Trojan.FakeMBAM.Silent, C:\PROGRAMDATA\MALWAREBYTES\MBAMSERVICE\TMP\UIPLUGIN.ELXR-17_TEST-B.X64.DLL-K.MBAM, No Action By User, 12247, 1240213, 0.0.0, , ame, , ,

Physical Sector: 0

WMI: 0

(end)