Spring 2024

NewTricks

• Root Admin
Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Having ridden numerous paved [such as Rail-2-Trail] and off-road trails, having some form of motor vehicle blocking and signage is the norm at the trailhead.  Most will have a sign indicating "No Motor Vehicles" or "No Motor Vehicles Beyond This Point".

I encourage all to get of the car and go for a hike or ride a trail.

But in the picture you can simply drive around it. Makes zero sense to me

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected grammar

The apps don't work with my heart, they see my irregular beat as a wrongly attached sensor or a fault.

Even the pulse oximeter finger clip ones at the doctors or the hospital do it.
I warn them but they always try anyway, and then when it won't work have to resort to the old finger on the pulse and a watch method.

An arm cuff on a blood pressure machine does a better job but only as an average BPM and they do show an 'irregular' warning.

I did find one 'light through the finger' type app on my old phone that did a very good job and even graphed out the irregular beats, unfortunately with my new phone it's a new version of the app and they changed the sensor limit parameters so now that one throws a sensor error too.
(But I still have the old phone with the working app).

PS. I gave Myrtle a much needed haircut yesterday, - my back, legs, and arms know about it today.
Still, now she's not trying to escape her bed she should have a new blue bonnet soon.

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

have to resort to the old finger on the pulse and a watch method.

The best way! An irregular heartbeat included as a separate part part of this program. That's curious that you've had so much trouble. A perfect example of ONE SIZE  doesn't fit all health wise. I'm glad you're the kind of guy that saves "old" stuff, from your ancient Toshiba to your phone. If even one function works on it, why not keep it around?

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

I gave Myrtle a much needed haircut yesterday

And who, what, is Myrtle? I vote with K-9.

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

you can simply drive around it. Makes zero sense to me

I thought that the first time I saw it. And agree.

There's a main road north and a residential cluster south. I've only encountered deer over the years.

Walk1.93.jpg

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected grammar

Each day is a new day to limber up; a little or a lot. My fairy tale estimate to regain "core strength" has gone from 30 days to 6 months. Daily walks, PT exercises are working. My Body Comp scale is showing a minute increase in muscle mass, and a corresponding decrease in fat. 😊 Slow and steady. It's a hard road, but maybe by August I can have a bite of carrot cake. 😉

Exercise Anatomy.jpg

• Like 1

The YMCA is out, Anytime Fitness is in. After trying out the Y's 10 "e-Gym" machines in April, I wiped out my back.  Hmmmmm. 🤨 Turned in my card, closed out my account. The program will allow a membership transfer on the first of the following month. HELLO JULY!  🎂

Less than 2 miles from home, small, few bells and whistles, I spent two years here between 2018 and 2020.

A new theme in my life, returning to things I once did. Perhaps success will find me again. 🤞

AnyTime.jpg

16 hours ago, NewTricks said:

And who, what, is Myrtle?

Creeping Myrtle with the little blue flowers.

She had put on a foliage, and creeper, growth spurt over the last couple of months and there were only one or two flowers.
So a machette (well my old carving knife) was employed to cut her back down to size and now we are getting more actual sunshine that should bring the flowers on.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Holiday Harbor planting-they revved it up this year. This is a 1970 canal development at the mouth of the lake. Rentals and purchases hover mid 300K.

It is an excellent place to see the local egrets in their "treehouse" home.

Takeahike.jpg

happyface.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
bird species

It was a hot day on June 28, 1778 when General George Washington and the Continental Army fought the Revolutionary war in the fields where I just stood on a hot June day in 2024 picking Sour Cherries and looking at all the Cherry Trees, Apple Trees and Peach Trees at the Battlefield Orchards.

DSCN0102.thumb.JPG.4af780c6658bebe60e294edcdcc2b008.JPG

DSCN0101.thumb.JPG.3a12a7a4083b8232d8445efe15a4be19.JPG

DSCN0117.thumb.JPG.4f10308cccbdc9370474a05b1a4cf100.JPGDSCN0112.thumb.JPG.c81ed13e8521c743e59ed84cb975f68b.JPGDSCN0111.thumb.JPG.f9cecfd3d87bac8e9f9d9a15bd04d5d0.JPG

DSCN0114.thumb.JPG.d188cd69559d6b070c17691e0da46684.JPG

DSCN0113.thumb.JPG.111fbf38d9ac370b62e36ab395e84786.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lovely post @David H. Lipman. I'm now in the mood for cherry pie!

The parks in your area are so impressive.

I'm thinking of starting a dedicated topic for battles and military memories on US soil. I've been inspired by this  set.

GettysburgDVD.jpg

Edited by NewTricks
edit phrase
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Throwback Thursday:

E-bike use is on the rise. It's not just for the young kids either. Statistically older men (60+) are included in this trend. Unfortunately injuries affecting this age group are more severe and primarily internal.

It's critical to wear a helmet and drive unimpaired.

My older brother was psyched about his new bike. Bought and used a helmet. In mid May, he failed to see a recessed storm drain, flew through the air and landed on his head in the street. The helmet cracked. A helicopter flew him 200 miles to a medical center that could handle that injury. Nowadays, it's known as TBI.

He lost his job, among other things. I often long to be young again, but I'd rather have the maturity that comes with experience. Last year I drove to visit. I cherish what we shared.

BrotherSister 46 years.jpg