MB 5 problems with tamper protection

I am running MB 5.  I have tamper protection turned on and all items selected.  When I open MB 5 to the Dashboard and click on Scanner I am not prompted for the password so that Scan, Scan Scheduler, and Reports are all accessible.

image.thumb.png.9c1f7ea1149fb7e423147a6de24410dd.png

Also If I go to settings and enter my password and then close the GUI, when I reopen it, it shows the same tab in settings that I was in without prompting me for the password.

Edited by BillH99999
  • Like 2

• BillH99999 changed the title to MB 5 problems with tamper protection
  • Root Admin

Thank you for the report @BillH99999

Have you restarted the computer since you installed MB5 ?

Can we please get some logs

To begin, please do the following so that we may take a closer look at your installation for troubleshooting:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained are safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

@AdvancedSetup

Here are the logs you requested.

mbst-grab-results.zip

I had not restarted my computer since installing MB 5.  The install did not do a restart.

I restarted it just now as a test.  The symptoms are slightly different now.

When I start MB 5 I am still not prompted for a password when I click on Scanner.  I am able to use what's on the Scan tab without entering a password.  However, now when I click on Scan Scheduler and Reports I am prompted for a password.

When I go to settings I am prompted for my password.  If I close the GUI on one of the Settings tabs, when I reopen it, it no longer is showing the same tab in Settings that I was in.  Instead it opens to the Dashboard.  However, I am still able to go into Settings and Scan Scheduler and Reports without being prompted for the password.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Corrected font issue

5 minutes ago, boombastik said:

If you unlock the mbam with password , it stays unlocked for 30 minutes. It is written in the tool tip.

@boombastik

Are you saying that was also the case in MB 4?  That isn't what I experienced in MB 4.  When I closed the GUI and reopened it, I was required to enter a password.  If it is a change in MB 4 it would be nice to be able to set the time limit as I would prefer a shorter time period.

As far as my issue, I am not being prompted for the password even after more than 30 minutes.

Edited by BillH99999

OK... after testing more today I have some observations.

When I start MB 5 I am still not prompted for a password when I click on Scanner and then go to the Scan tab. I am also not prompted for a password when I click on View Details in the Trusted Advisor area.  Neither of these is a huge problem as it would only allow a scan to be run or Auto Updates to be turned on (I currently have this ignored as I have it off on purpose).  I really feel that both of these should be protected by tamper protection anyway.

All other functions are protected by the password prompt except within 30 minutes of entering a password at the prompt.  I think you should always be prompted after the GUI is closed and reopened as it was in MB 4.  If I were using a laptop this would be especially important to me.  I don't like this change in MB 5.  If MB is going to allow a time frame where no password is required, then I think users should be able to set the time frame through a setting in tamper protection.

Bill

• Like 1