Solar Eclipse 2024 on Monday April 8

NewTricks

We'll only get a very slight partial eclipse where I'm living in the UK, and only for 5 mins before the eclipsed bit drops below the horizon at sunset.
If it isn't cloudy of course.

11 August 1999 was the last really good one that I saw here in the UK.
It happened in the middle of a cloudless day and was almost but not quite total here 'up north', you had to be down in Cormwall or skip over to the continent to see totality for that one.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

Coming up on Monday.

This Friday, I'm picking up a free "kit" from the college. Promotion is in FULL GEAR here.

Banks are closing for an hour, grocery stores are marketing this as a tailgate party complete with their food of course.

For a 5 year event, it deserves something. How about we give thanks for our peace and freedom to observe?

• Like 1

A map-like view of the Earth during the total solar eclipse of April 8, 2024, showing the umbra (small black oval), penumbra (purple outline), and the path of totality (red). This equirectangular projection is suitable for spherical displays and for spherical mapping in 3D animation software.

NASA Reference:
April 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse Path for Spherical Displays

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 2