Computer Locked Up 3times -Malwarebytes detected no virus before or after.

I got this message and the computer locked up three times.  Malwarebytes is run every morning, and didn't detect anything either before or after these attacks.  Despite the instructions in the messages, I did shut down my computer and let it sit for awhile.  When I opened it again, I was able to use it, but it wasn't long before the message repeated.   How do I prevent this from happening again?

image.thumb.png.7e74d3bbf84a65e83107e71231cfb81e.png

Barb

• Staff

What you're seeing is not actually malware, it's a scam website trying to trick you into believing that your computer is infected. That phone number does not belong to Microsoft. If you were to call the number or interact with the website, the scammers would most likely attempt to convince you to pay them to "remove the virus" (which does not actually exist).

Most likely, you reached this page through what is called "malvertising," or malicious advertising. A malicious ad that got into the ad feed on a legitimate website you visited probably redirected you there. Using an ad blocker, such as Browser Guard, can help with that, and can also block access to malicious websites that malvertising might direct you to.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/browserguard

• Like 1