Malwarebytes v5, how do you edit what is on the dashboard?

Malwarebytes v5 is out today, at least it is being given to anyone to comes here to download the current official version, but there is no information posted about how to do anything.

How do you remove information that has no business being on the dashboard?  For example, how does one remove the list of other devices?  Everyone on a license does not need to see the other devices on that license.  If someone has malwarebytes installed on their child's system or an elderly parent's system, neither of those people need to see the other devices.  Also, if the subscription does not have Online Privacy, then that doesn't need to be shown either to be honest, at least not to the extent it currently is.

• Like 4

Just now, JaCo_BRZ said:

How do you remove information that has no business being on the dashboard?  For example, how does one remove the list of other devices?  Everyone on a license does not need to see the other devices on that license.

You can't. Editing is not a current function on the dashboard. The feature has been requested in the past.

No previous versions have had that ability either.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

You can't. Editing is not a current function on the dashboard. The feature has been requested in the past.

No previous versions have had that ability either.

No previous versions showed a list of other devices using that license on the dashboard either.  Before, while there was a desire for the dashboard to be able to be edited, there was not a need for it to be.  Now there is most definitely a need for it to be editable.  Not everyone needs to be able to see the device list.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JaCo_BRZ said:

Not everyone needs to be able to see the device list.

17 hours ago, JaCo_BRZ said:

Now there is most definitely a need for it to be editable.

Not everyone needs the dashboard to be editable, either.

That being said, it would definitely be a good idea to have it as an option for those who want it to be editable.

18 hours ago, Porthos said:

The feature has been requested in the past.

I hope this becomes an optional feature. While I'm not annoyed or irked by the current interface, I wouldn't mind being able to turn off the VPN report, as I have no plans to ever use the MB VPN as I use my own.

1 hour ago, John L. Galt said:

Not everyone needs the dashboard to be editable, either.

That being said, it would definitely be a good idea to have it as an option for those who want it to be editable.

I hope this becomes an optional feature. While I'm not annoyed or irked by the current interface, I wouldn't mind being able to turn off the VPN report, as I have no plans to ever use the MB VPN as I use my own.

Everyone does need it to be editable.  Everyone might not use it, but they do need it to be.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Exposing, displaying, or showing "Other Devices" names to the user listing to others who do NOT know each other is a definite bad no no and in my opinion a privacy administration and security issue.

The HOSTNAME or PC name info about the other activated devices using Malwarebytes should absolutely be private and hidden from the user interface. Please note that you never had that showing in previous versions EVER.

It does NOT HELP anyone. Only account holders using the Subscriber Dashboard  IT GUY Administrator accounts with sign on should see that info for management purposes like always.

Please remove the OTHER DEVICES listing in the User Interface.

I don't want to have to explain or get embarrassed explaining to users those are NOT their computers AND TO NOT WORRY they were NOT HACKED, ITS JUST A GLITCH. :(

Thoughts?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, wisemantek said:

Exposing, displaying, or showing "Other Devices" names to the user listing to others who do NOT know each other is a definite bad no no and in my opinion a privacy administration and security issue.

The HOSTNAME or PC name info about the other activated devices using Malwarebytes should absolutely be private and hidden from the user interface. Please note that you never had that showing in previous versions EVER.

It does NOT HELP anyone. Only account holders using the Subscriber Dashboard  IT GUY Administrator accounts with sign on should see that info for management purposes like always.

Please remove the OTHER DEVICES listing in the User Interface.

I don't want to have to explain or get embarrassed explaining to users those are NOT their computers AND TO NOT WORRY they were NOT HACKED, ITS JUST A GLITCH. :(

Thoughts?

Exactly! 

Adding this list to the normal client is only introducing a way for fear to be introduced to the users. In fact it adds a way for scammers to get on a system and claim hey there are all these other people connected to your system. Even if there is only one connected, because no one typically knows what the device name or their computer is or means.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2024 at 12:22 PM, JaCo_BRZ said:

Everyone does need it to be editable.  Everyone might not use it, but they do need it to be.

Agreed, user choice is paramount. I can go with that, as long as it is up to the user to choose what to show, then by all means, the dashboard should be editable.

On 3/26/2024 at 6:29 PM, arbrich said:

I agree, we need to be able to hide that information - It Should not be on the front panel like that !!! This is a privacy and security concern !!!!

Please fix ASAP !!!

And this kinda goes along with the whole dashboard being editable thing. Other devices is great for a single user, but a system that has multiple users, is it really fair to share such private info with every user that logs in? Nope.

Definitely a valid concern about that section.

Plus, allowing the (main / admin) user to hide the Other devices section (and, preferably, the Online privacy section) would reduce the height of the entire window, making it much more friendly for folks with small screens and high scaling (zoom) levels. Think of it as an accessibility concern, if nothing else.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2024 at 2:15 PM, wisemantek said:
On 3/20/2024 at 2:15 PM, wisemantek said:

It does NOT HELP anyone.

I beg to disagree. I have a 3 copy subscription. One on my PC. One on my wife's PC and one on my brother-in-law's PC in another city. It helps me keep track of 2 people who are completely computer illiterate so if I see some issue (pertaining to MB) that arises on either of their PC's, I would know to take some action or let them know they have to. What I don't know at this point since all show "no issues" is what will show up if there is an issue. 

As to whether it should be a removable option is another matter which Malwarebytes will have to address.

Edited by Phxflyer
  • Like 3

That's what the sign-on user account is always used for on the Subscription website Dashboard page. It is currently available for keeping track monitoring and managing all your Subscription devices and activation/expiration status MalwareBytes.com website.

Admins or IT guys or individuals managing workstations or devices should NOT be required to permanently share and save or provide thier personal MalwareBytes account on all machines.

It was NEVER required in previous version releases and that "Other Device" info was NEVER previously revealed front and center on the main screen.  You would be able to see the individual Device name conveniently located on the "Account" tab with the gear icon(Settings) location.

Hope this helps 🙏 

MalwareBytes, please keep an Account tab to store machines name(device) name within that menu structure instead and continue the good and smart efficient design for all.

Cheers,

WiseManTek

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Phxflyer said:

I beg to disagree. I have a 3 copy subscription. One on my PC. One on my wife's PC and one on my brother-in-law's PC in another city. It helps me keep track of 2 people who are completely computer illiterate so if I see some issue (pertaining to MB) that arises on either of their PC's, I would know to take some action or let them know they have to. What I don't know at this point since all show "no issues" is what will show up if there is an issue. 

As to whether it should be a removable option is another matter which Malwarebytes will have to address.

You have two computer illiterate people who are not going to understand what any of that means. So when a scammer has them open up Malwarebytes, points at the other devices, and says those are other people on your computer; those computer illiterate people are going to believe the scammer.

No one is saying that you can't have the other devices section listed on your dashboard. What we are saying is that the other devices section should allow for it to not be included on the dashboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JaCo_BRZ said:

You have two computer illiterate people who are not going to understand what any of that means. So when a scammer has them open up Malwarebytes, points at the other devices, and says those are other people on your computer; those computer illiterate people are going to believe the scammer.

They may be computer illiterate (can't fix, modify, manually update, etc) but they both know what a scam is and how to avoid them. Neither is foolish enough to allow someone log into their PC or even talk to someone on the phone about their PC's or respond to an email. I don't care what they see, I want to be able to see if THEY have a problem. And all a "supposed scammer" would see is the names of 3 PC's. No way to connect to them or know anything about them. This all may be moot as it appears MB will be making some changes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Phxflyer said:

They may be computer illiterate (can't fix, modify, manually update, etc) but they both know what a scam is and how to avoid them. Neither is foolish enough to allow someone log into their PC or even talk to someone on the phone about their PC's or respond to an email. I don't care what they see, I want to be able to see if THEY have a problem. And all a "supposed scammer" would see is the names of 3 PC's. No way to connect to them or know anything about them. This all may be moot as it appears MB will be making some changes.

You think that, but you would be surprised at how many people who know what a scam is regularly fall for these scams. 

• Like 1

I have a job because of the "Normie" normal users not being able to identify those amazing Outlook, Microsoft, Docusign email scams as well as the 55 plus crowd that unfortunately don't recognize or trust some very convincing worded pop-ups on their iPhones that they have a virus and to Click Here to remove, etc, etc. 

Thank God for Malwarebytes on all my clients/Customer machines!

I can sleep at night as an IT Admin knowing that my clients are protected through BrowserGuard and MB when activated in the device. 😃 

Jaco Brazil 🎸 , remember to continue to leverage your MB sign-on account on malwarebytes.com to manage status of all your activated devices. That is the best most efficient and secure way to easily see everything all in one easy central place. 

Cheers,

WiseManTek 🎷 🎵 😎 

• Like 1

Phxflyer, 

Remember to continue to leverage your MB email sign-on account on malwarebytes.com "SIGN IN" to manage status of all your activated devices. That is the best most efficient and secure way to easily see everything you own including details of device names, date of activation and expiration in a all in one easy central place. 😀 

20 hours ago, JaCo_BRZ said:

You think that, but you would be surprised at how many people who know what a scam is regularly fall for these scams. 

You state the obvious. I'm more concerned that my subscriptions remain malware free. Again, I don't know what I'll see if one of the other PC's is compromised, blocked a malware, etc. Will it show that PC blocked the malware, got infected, protection got turned off?? Until that happens, I want to see their status. And there is no need to respond. MB seems to be handling this matter with an update. 

Edited by Phxflyer

23 minutes ago, Phxflyer said:

You state the obvious. I'm more concerned that my subscriptions remain malware free. Again, I don't know what I'll see if one of the other PC's is compromised, blocked a malware, etc. Will it show that PC blocked the malware, got infected, protection got turned off?? Until that happens, I want to see their status. And there is no need to respond. MB seems to be handling this matter with an update. 

You still don't understand anything that this thread is talking about. Literally no one is asking that they not have the feature available. What's being discussed is that it being displayed on the dashboard of the client with no way to remove it from the dashboard is bad design.

The entire purpose of this thread is to say that the other devices section on the dashboard of the client should be something that can made to not display on the dashboard of the client. You being able to have it show on your system is fine, but people also should be able to have it not show on the systems whose users have no reason or need to see it.

1 hour ago, JaCo_BRZ said:

You still don't understand anything that this thread is talking about. Literally no one is asking that they not have the feature available. What's being discussed is that it being displayed on the dashboard of the client with no way to remove it from the dashboard is bad design.

And you obviously don't understand what I've said multiple times. MB is taking care of this. Please read AdvancedSetup's post. I never said this needs to be on the home page. Someone wrote this information "does not help anyone". That's what I've disagreed with in my first post.

Edited by Phxflyer

34 minutes ago, Phxflyer said:

And you obviously don't understand what I've said multiple times. MB is taking care of this. Please read AdvancedSetup's post. I never said this needs to be on the home page. Someone wrote this information "does not help anyone". That's what I've disagreed with in my first post.

No what the person said was that having that information on the dashboard by default with no way to remove it does not help anyone. Further, what is shown is not helpful. It's scare tactics. Most of the time it's just an error that that system hasn't ran a scan.

I have a paid for version of Malwarebytes on my main PC which I use every day and a free version on my laptop which is used irregularly. 

A few days ago I re-installed W10 on the laptop with my favourite programmes – Brave, Revo Uninstaller and Malwarebytes. When I ran Malwarebytes I initially thought I’d downloaded a Malwarebytes look-alike – well not so look-alike…   The GUI was completely different and it filled the entire screen – in fact it more than fills the screen…  My laptop is a Dell Latitude 7490 with a 14” screen and I normally have the screen resolution set at the recommended 1920 x 1080.  In order to see the whole GUI I have to reduce the resolution to 1366 x 768.  This is not ideal as I am partially sighted and ‘everything’ then becomes smaller.

More than a third of the GUI is taken up with the ’other devices’ and ‘online privacy’ which a number of others on here have complained about and which to me are totally superfluous.  If these could be removed maybe I could go set my screen back to the recommended resolution.

Incidentally I’m running Malwarebytes version – 5.1.2.109 on the laptop whereas my main PC is running version 4.6.11 with the ‘normal’ GUI…

If version 5.1.2.109 cannot/won’t be changed is it possible for me to replace it with a previous version – like for example the 4.6.11 which my main PC runs.

Incidentally I do realise that it’s the free version that I’m concerned about and that I may not be entitled to any help, that being the case I’ll just have to find something else.

Thanks for any suggestions/advice.